Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The RFL save London

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

absolutely made up for quins, it's about time the rfl took over the mantle of developing the game in the south east from the club. david hughes will turn things around and continue to develop the club.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#42 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Swindon St George @ Sep 4 2010, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The statement at Quinns last night also refered to a new head coach being announced next week.

Shaun Edwards was in the Quinns directors box above the east stand last night.

That would be a shrewd appointment, I shouldn't think he was there to pay his respects to the cup winners!

What the club needs is a boost to their supporter base, barely 2000+ home crowd, that was their last game of the season, how can that sustain good quality players being brought in?

The season ticket sales reduces year by year, there is no passion to the home support, the facilites are great but they fail on most of the criteria for SL, youth development within M25 is outstanding, but, I don't think all of the credit for that is down to quinns.

On what do you base the statement that season ticket sales are reducing year on year?

#43 Swindon St George

Swindon St George
  • Coach
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:23 AM

This comment based on season ticket sales was based on a conversation with a Quinns RL employee during half time.
Mate, I have nothing against the expansion in London, I praise the youth development.
I just think Quinns is the wrong place for a London SL sucess, It is 500 yards from RU HQ, and too middle class.
There is no passion from the fans.

#44 jaybs

jaybs
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

If only the game of rugby league had more people like David Hughes, it has been totally wrong that IL was allowed to hold on to his majority share of the club, why did not the RFL force him to keep to the ruling that was made that he had to dispose of the shares, in the Barclay's Premiership owners can't own majority shareholding in two clubs and they accept that.

IL clearly wanted too much for too long for his share holding as with all investments they can go up and down and clearly Quins RL have been down, but that seems to have been sorted and is good news.

I still feel the London club has to have LONDON in the name and though I supported the return to The Stoop, but this time it has not worked, we need to break away completely from the Quins association.

Edited by jaybs, 05 September 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#45 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Swindon St George @ Sep 5 2010, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This comment based on season ticket sales was based on a conversation with a Quinns RL employee during half time.
Mate, I have nothing against the expansion in London, I praise the youth development.
I just think Quinns is the wrong place for a London SL sucess, It is 500 yards from RU HQ, and too middle class.
There is no passion from the fans.

The reason I queried this is that I seem to remember DH saying that season ticket sales were up this year on last year albeit from a low base. Certainly the form was a lot simpler this year.

Rugby league has got a great opportunity now after the announcement on friday and it is important the RFL takes it. If it can be done in Wrexham it can definitely be done in London.

#46 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 585 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Doghead @ Sep 4 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with Lenegan and his shares should have been sorted months ago when he went past the deadline for selling.
God knows how much it as cost David Hughes not being able to bring in fresh money because of the club shares being tied up, the RFL soon sorted it when he demanded action.
Lenegan's dash for the Wigan club could have cost the London fans their club.

I found an audio interview with Richard Lewis on the BBC Sports website which was put out on 11th February this year presumably by BBC Radio London. It's a general interview about Harlequins but about 3.28 into it he is asked about Ian Lenegan's shares and says it is "not a probelm" and appears to be happy to let him sell his shares when he wants. Richard Lewis must have known how much David Hughes was putting into Quins as a minority shareholder so it seems a strange stance to take. I can't see why the RFL allowed Lenegan to buy Wigan before selling his shares in Quins. As far as I recall it wasn't a case of life or death that Wigan needed a new owner right then but perhaps Wigan fans know otherwise. Anyway from David Hughes' statement it looks as though it has all been sorted.

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/8509461.stm

#47 Atticus Finch

Atticus Finch
  • Coach
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 4 2010, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
absolutely made up for quins, it's about time the rfl took over the mantle of developing the game in the south east from the club.

Harlequins/London Skolars have done very little to develop the game in the south over the years, most of the hard work is done by clubs like South London, Hemel, St Albans, Greenwich & West London. The Quins/Skolars like to take players from these clubs and claim the credit for their development - although the Quins have at least done a good job of turning some of them into Super League players.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users