Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Willie Mason signs for Superleague side.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

Sporting Life

Big name.
Is he the missing piece for the jigsaw for HKR?
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#2 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 4 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sporting Life

Big name.

No

Not going to Bradford then, i am shocked

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#3 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:28 PM

Another Aussie for the Rovers. They should play their home games in Canberra or similar. No wonder they are so much in debt. Daftest signing of the season.

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 4 2010, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sporting Life

Big name.

No. He is the 'missing link'. ohmy.gif

One for the older generation. wink.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 HullRover

HullRover
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Although I think it would be naive not to have some reservations about Willie Mason, the vast majority of Hull KR fans are rightly ecstatic at this signing!

In terms of profile, I honestly think this is arguably the biggest signing in Super League's history!

Righly or wrongly, with his mountainous physique and wild hairstyles, Mason is probably Rugby League's most iconic figure who transcended the sport's normal boundaries in terms of profile with his infamous knockout of Stuart Fielden in front a few million viewers on the BBC!

For instance, Mason is one of the exceptionally few RL players who could expect an invite onto Question of Sport and be largely recognised!

He is a copywriters dream and already there is an unprecedented level of interest locally surrounding this signing!

#6 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (HullRover @ Sep 4 2010, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although I think it would be naive not to have some reservations about Willie Mason, the vast majority of Hull KR fans are rightly ecstatic at this signing!

In terms of profile, I honestly think this is arguably the biggest signing in Super League's history!

Righly or wrongly, with his mountainous physique and wild hairstyles, Mason is probably Rugby League's most iconic figure who transcended the sport's normal boundaries in terms of profile with his infamous knockout of Stuart Fielden in front a few million viewers on the BBC!

For instance, Mason is one of the exceptionally few RL players who could expect an invite onto Question of Sport and be largely recognised!

He is a copywriters dream and already there is an unprecedented level of interest locally surrounding this signing!

yep, probably agree with pretty much all of this, although I think the Andrew Johns signing was the highest profile signing going.

#7 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 4 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yep, probably agree with pretty much all of this, although I think the Andrew Johns signing was the highest profile signing going.

We got Johns for a few games, though, HKR have Mason for 2 seasons, visa/permits pending, obviously.
As a long term high profile signing, it's a masterstroke for HKR, even at this stage in Willie's career.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
And again!!!Posted Image

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 4 2010, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We got Johns for a few games, though, HKR have Mason for 2 seasons, visa/permits pending, obviously.
As a long term high profile signing, it's a masterstroke for HKR, even at this stage in Willie's career.

Yep, however profile only really lasts for the one or two weeks around the signing. Johns had a huge presence, it even had a live broadcast on SSN, Mason is big, but not in the same league as Johns, and the impact he had, even for a few weeks is unprecedented.

Still, very good signing IMHO.

#9 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 4 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, however profile only really lasts for the one or two weeks around the signing. Johns had a huge presence, it even had a live broadcast on SSN, Mason is big, but not in the same league as Johns, and the impact he had, even for a few weeks is unprecedented.

Still, very good signing IMHO.

Take your point.
I found out from workmates in Bicester at the time, and they never took any notice of our sport.

Edited by goldcard, 04 September 2010 - 09:43 PM.

And again!!!Posted Image

#10 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,771 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 4 2010, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take your point.
I found of from workmates in Bicester at the time, and they never took any notice of our sport.

Yep my workmates from Chester at the time asked a hell of a lot of questions for once!

Edit: misread/misunderstood your post sorry

Edited by Dave T, 05 September 2010 - 10:45 AM.

#11 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

Terrific signing for Rovers. Now the rest of Super League will hate them as much as we do...:-). Should certainly spice up the Derbies next year. I heard Justin Morgan interviewed about the Mason saga the other day. He said Mason had "Resigned himself to playing in Super League next season" interesting choice of word that..

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

Just a panic move after missing out on Lee Radford.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 4 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Terrific signing for Rovers. Now the rest of Super League will hate them as much as we do...:-). Should certainly spice up the Derbies next year. I heard Justin Morgan interviewed about the Mason saga the other day. He said Mason had "Resigned himself to playing in Super League next season" interesting choice of word that..

"Resigned" indeed. He is not wanted in the NRL. He is an ordinary player on he field, and a troublemaker off the field. The Roosters board were glad to see the back of him. He plays for what is now the weakest team in the NRL.

If you saw Mason play for a pathetic North Queensland tonight, as I did, then you will be prepared for his future underwhelming performances in Super League, weaker tackling standards there notwithstanding.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#14 Maltese Falcon

Maltese Falcon
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:52 AM

Will he get a visa?

I know he's transgressed many times on the field over the years, but what's his record off the pitch? Anything that might get the immigration people's spider senses tingling?
So he says - "You're not a real fishmonger, you've just done a plop in the wrong lavatory..."

#15 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 4 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you saw Mason play for a pathetic North Queensland tonight, as I did, then you will be prepared for his future underwhelming performances in Super League, weaker tackling standards there notwithstanding.

you don't half talk ###### you

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#16 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Sep 4 2010, 11:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a panic move after missing out on Lee Radford.

laugh.gif

Posted Image

#17 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 4 2010, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Resigned" indeed. He is not wanted in the NRL. He is an ordinary player on he field, and a troublemaker off the field. The Roosters board were glad to see the back of him. He plays for what is now the weakest team in the NRL.

You are correct.

Mason may well join the long list of much vaunted Australians, who have arrived on our shores with massive reputations, and big swag bags, who return home with their tails firmly between their legs not long after.

Most of the returned Aussies, who couldn't quite cut it in the weal tackling, slow paced, SL, then walk straight back into the SOO teams. Go figure.

I think KR have done the right thing here in bringing Mason over so that we can have some target practice. I predict Mason will be a massive flop, who will spend most of his time pretending to be injured, and the rest of it hiding from Jamie Peacock.

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:52 AM

You're having a laugh aren't you?

God forbid he ever gets near QoS. He's an oaf who can't string two words together. The rest of the nation don't know any SL players so why would they know one who plied his trade 12,000 miles away? Just because he ####### Fielden five years ago! Another joke comment.

He's a headline writers' dream because of all the stupid gaffes he makes off the field.

Edited by deluded pom?, 05 September 2010 - 07:53 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

Did he "sign" his contract with a thumb print or an X ?

rldfsignature.jpg

#20 HullRover

HullRover
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 4 2010, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leaving alone the issue that Johns was only a loan signing anyway...of course for any Rugby League connoisseur, is a much higher quality/profile signing.

However, sadly his face isn't instantly recognisible to even many RL fans in this country, nevermind those with a passive interest.

The difference is that Mason is subliminally remembered by almost anyone with a casual interest in RL because of his menacing, iconic appearance and devastating KO of Fielden four years ago which received enormous, terrestrial exposure (by RL standards) at the time!

Sadly, to a casual viewer, those sort of incidents get spoken about in the pub more...get more Youtube hits...and ultimately live longer in the memory than any great try or distinguished career even!

For example, I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Like I say, I am equally divided on whether Mason will be a sensation or a flop...either way it will be interesting!

His signing will be good for Super League in general and not just Hull KR.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users