Photo
- - - - -

Willie Mason signs for Superleague side.

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 08:51 AM

QUOTE (HullRover @ Sep 5 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Well Ackford was a Policeman but now plies his trade as a vehement anti RL scribe for the Daily Telegraph. Mendez is probably a Tango Dancer in Buenos Aires.

#22 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:03 AM

I understand Hull FC are talking to Kiwi David Kidwell about coming out of retirement for the odd appearance or two next season.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#23 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:24 AM

A really risky signing for HKR on the playing front - Mason could be brilliant or he could be dreadful and possibly a malign influence on dressing room harmony into the bargain. Still, I suppose Mason will be guaranteed to put some bums on seats.

#24 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 5 2010, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Still, I suppose Mason will be guaranteed to put some bums on seats.

You always get that sort at Craven Park.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#25 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 5 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You always get that sort at Craven Park.

b'bum

#26 Cliff Spracklen

Cliff Spracklen
  • Coach
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Taxi drivers are sometimes a measure of the hot sporting topics of the day. In Bridlington where many drivers originate from Hull, and support Rervers or the Airlie Birds it is THE sporting topic in the taxi. Way ahead of Wayne Rooney, the Pakistan cricket turmoil or the European Football Championships. And on the BBC's Look North, which is usually about Lincolnshire farmers or narrow lanes south of the Humber, it has attracted attention. So some positive PR at least. biggrin.gif

Edited by Cliff Spracklen, 05 September 2010 - 12:31 PM.

#27 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Cliff Spracklen @ Sep 5 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taxi drivers are sometimes a measure of the hot sporting topics of the day. In Bridlington where many drivers originate from Hull, and support Rervers or the Airlie Birds it is THE sporting topic in the taxi. Way ahead of Wayne Rooney, the Pakistan cricket turmoil or the European Football Championships. And on the BBC's Look North, which is usually about Lincolnshire farmers or narrow lanes south of the Humber, it has attracted attention. So some positive PR at least. biggrin.gif

I still think you should move up the road to Bempton Cliff.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#28 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Sep 5 2010, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still think you should move up the road to Bempton Cliff.

Boooooo!

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

#29 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (Cliff Spracklen @ Sep 5 2010, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously it depends on where you're hiring the taxi. I don't suppose it's the talk of the Bicester taxi ranks regardless of what some Rervers fans think. I usually go by the national newspapers Cliff which will be all about the Euro qualifiers tomorrow with only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky wink.gif

Edited by deluded pom?, 05 September 2010 - 04:07 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#30 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 5 2010, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky wink.gif

I read that and "amh" suddenly appeared in the users reading this thread...

I await her comment with interest...

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

#31 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 5 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

stalker....or maybe not in Masons case..well he will find it cowd

Edited by amh, 05 September 2010 - 04:12 PM.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 5 2010, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's left now. Probably gone all shy. wink.gif

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Sep 5 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She's left now. Probably gone all shy. wink.gif

ha ha I'm in and out quicker than......

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#34 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Sep 5 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ha ha I'm in and out quicker than......

..Lee?.... unsure.gif ph34r.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#35 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Sep 5 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..Lee?.... unsure.gif ph34r.gif

Er no.. blush.gif

#36 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Sep 5 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er no.. blush.gif

Well, you did leave that option open.... ph34r.gif
Too good a shot to miss. wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#37 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

This is the first time Rovers have gone for an overseas player aged 30 or over, so on that side of things the club must be happy with wht they are going to get on the field from him. He could bring something that we really miss, the size and ability to brea a tackle and offload.

Off the field he should certainly bring in publicity (hopefully mainly good) and he may also put a few bums on seats which is very important.

The biggest concern that I have is does he have any problems on his record that will stop him getting a visa to play, a la Crocker.

#38 JWAD

JWAD
  • Coach
  • 14,332 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 4 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said Mason had "Resigned himself to playing in Super League next season" interesting choice of word that..

In other words, "F*** it, I'll retire to the UK".

#39 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

So how many non federation players will Rovers have on their books next season?

rldfsignature.jpg

#40 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,593 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (HullRover @ Sep 5 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leaving alone the issue that Johns was only a loan signing anyway...of course for any Rugby League connoisseur, is a much higher quality/profile signing.

However, sadly his face isn't instantly recognisible to even many RL fans in this country, nevermind those with a passive interest.

The difference is that Mason is subliminally remembered by almost anyone with a casual interest in RL because of his menacing, iconic appearance and devastating KO of Fielden four years ago which received enormous, terrestrial exposure (by RL standards) at the time!

Sadly, to a casual viewer, those sort of incidents get spoken about in the pub more...get more Youtube hits...and ultimately live longer in the memory than any great try or distinguished career even!

For example, I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Like I say, I am equally divided on whether Mason will be a sensation or a flop...either way it will be interesting!

His signing will be good for Super League in general and not just Hull KR.

I would question how widely known Mason is outside rl circles. I certainly doubt that most viewers of QofS would recognise him.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users