Photo
- - - - -

What should the referee have done?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: What should he have done? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick three - One for Radford, one for Bailey, and one for the penalty.

1. Radford red (30 votes [14.02%])

Percentage of vote: 14.02%

2. Radford yellow (44 votes [20.56%])

Percentage of vote: 20.56%

3. Radford nothing (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Bailey red (17 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

5. Bailey yellow (53 votes [24.77%])

Percentage of vote: 24.77%

6. Bailey nothing (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

7. Penalty - Hull (32 votes [14.95%])

Percentage of vote: 14.95%

8. Penalty - Leeds (33 votes [15.42%])

Percentage of vote: 15.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:41 PM

Ryan Bailey represents the ugly part of the game, and players like him are the ones that put people off playing it.
Posted Image

#42 Exiled Rhino

Exiled Rhino
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

I think he's still there because of the salary cap.

Leeds would probably gladly replace him but have to balance it all out.

I, too wouldn't be upset if he moved on. As others have said, penalty machine who makes few metres.

#43 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Penalty for Hull because Bailey's elbowing was the first offence, yellow card for Radford because he needed time to cool down. Had Bailey only been guilty of the elbowing (which in itself was dangerous enough) I would've accepted a yellow card as adequate punishment but since he threw the head butt too I think he should've been sent off. Smith got the cards the wrong way round in my opinion.

#44 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:58 PM

I was never a massive fan of Radford when he was at the Bulls, but I've seen a clip of yesterday and if ever a bloke deserved a few punches its Ryan Bailey. Good on Radford, I now like him! Looking forward to watching the Super league Show later.

Bailey is a cheap shot merchant. End of. Happy to get a man when he cant defend himself, but not interested when its remotely fair odds.

Davies was funny in the commentry in the Semi and Final of CC as he obviously dislikes Bailey as much as most fans (incl. Leeds fans it would seem).

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#45 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Sep 5 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Had to laugh at this that I received on Twitter:

Just about sums him up. biggrin.gif

He said it live on air too, Griff, I stuck it in the match thread.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#46 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

yellow yellow leeds pen

#47 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 918 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

yellow yellow leeds pen

#48 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Smith was right, no question. Radford walked because he threw cowardly punches at a man getting off the floor with a ball in his hands in no position to defend himself. The pseudo-hardman cost Hull the game and will be kicking himself when Hull bite the dust against Rovers next week while he sits on the touchline following his ban. You've just got to laugh at the pr**k.

#49 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Sep 5 2010, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Smith was right, no question. Radford walked because he threw cowardly punches at a man getting off the floor with a ball in his hands in no position to defend himself. The pseudo-hardman cost Hull the game and will be kicking himself when Hull bite the dust against Rovers next week while he sits on the touchline following his ban. You've just got to laugh at the pr**k.

If there was no question, then why do more than half the people on this board think that Radford should have had a lesser punishment, and 9/10 think that Bailey should have had at least a yellow? And half also think that it should have even been Hull's penalty?

No question? Only if you're a blinkered Leeds fan that thinks they should be untouchable.
Posted Image

#50 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 6 2010, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there was no question, then why do more than half the people on this board think that Radford should have had a lesser punishment, and 9/10 think that Bailey should have had at least a yellow? And half also think that it should have even been Hull's penalty?

No question? Only if you're a blinkered Leeds fan that thinks they should be untouchable.

It doesn't really matter what 9/10 on here think because 9/10 are talking complete bollards. The problem is that Ryan Bailey evokes such strong opinions that people don't think logically and start talking complete guff. The only opinion that matters is that of the disciplinary board and i'm sure they will back me, the referee and logical thinkers by banning your pretend "rocky" for one, hopefully two games. That will mean next weeks game and the first one of next season.

#51 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Sep 6 2010, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't really matter what 9/10 on here think because 9/10 are talking complete bollards.

Fantastic. The minority are clearly always in the right, the vast majority, clearly always in the wrong, including Jonathon Davies and Dave Woods, professionals who clearly know nothing about the game in spite of having watched it for years and having played it to test match level, in Davies' case.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#52 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 12:21 AM

Radford yellow

Bailey red

Leeds penalty

For the fight, both should have got a yellow, but Baileys blatant attempt to head-butt Sean Long was disgraceful in itself, but to not even get sin binned by Smith was an outrage.

Leeds penalty for the punching.

Cummins Out.

#53 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:53 AM

A ticking off for both players and a penalty to Leeds if only to see which way Bailey would run from the tap

#54 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 07:58 AM

I think the ref got it absolutely right - you canot come up swinging for no reason simple as that.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#55 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,034 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Sep 6 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the ref got it absolutely right - you canot come up swinging for no reason simple as that.

You are Brian McClennan and I claim my 5.

No reason? Ha! Where's all the Paul Wellens threads for elbowing someone in the face twice for "no reason" whilst pinned to the floor? He only got a slap on the wrist from the ref!
Posted Image

#56 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 6 2010, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are Brian McClennan and I claim my 5.

No reason? Ha! Where's all the Paul Wellens threads for elbowing someone in the face twice for "no reason" whilst pinned to the floor? He only got a slap on the wrist from the ref!

Wellsy - that is my view of it nothing more nothing less - I genuinely saw nothing wrong with Bailey other than trying to get up quickly and Radford swung at least 3 times. If he'd connected with any of them properly Bailey would have been out cold. I have no agenda here whatsoever that is merely how I saw it.

As for Wellens, I completely agree, nothing more than Goldy trying to get up quickly followed by 2 elbows in the face - he should have walked.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#57 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:02 AM

While I take the point that predetermined judgement can come into play when Bailey is involved, the reason for this in the first place is because he's such a dirty nasty player.

I also take the point about it being completely inappropriate to punch a player who's not in a position to defend themselves, however I don't believe that Radford's act was cowardly, it was a spontaneous reaction to taking elbows to the head. When the Leeds players came in, notice that not one of them had a pop at Radford, they just held him back. If he had behaved as outrageously as some are suggesting then don't you think their reaction would have been a bit stronger? Brent Webb was stood there laughing!

If Bailey does such things week in week out and is allowed to get away with it then players are potentially going to take it on themselves to sort him out and I think that's partly what we saw. I wouldn't describe Radford as a pseudo-hardman either as such, it's Bailey who deserves that tag as he's proved time and again.

#58 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (MrFussy @ Sep 6 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't describe Radford as a pseudo-hardman either as such, ..........................

Interesting to read that this was the first time that he has been sent off in 13+ years, so his record to date should stand him in good stead. SoS I predict.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#59 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:11 AM

Just ask yourselves what the outcome should have ben if Radford was on the floor and it was Bailey chucking those punches - I feel many peoples opinions would change

Edited by Kenilworth Tiger, 06 September 2010 - 09:15 AM.

Posted Image

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I can't stand Bailey, however I find some people's responses on here a touch laughable.

Firstly, the elbows really weren't that bad. He was using his arms to try and get away from a player who was trying to dominate him. Sure I think refs could start to penalise this offence, but we see it most matches and players don't lose their heads like Radford did.

Secondly, people saying that Bailey was a coward and could have got up are talking nonsense. He was on the ground and took a good first punch, meaning the natural thing to do would have been tp ortect yourself, not try and get up and basically leave yourself open. Most times we see a player grab their opponent rather than throw punches back when a scuffle breaks out, yet they don't get branded cowardly.

I think Bailey should have been done a few years ago, and he is a nasty piece of work who loves the cheap shots. I like Radford, but the fact is he lost his head, and it cost his team.

I think he will get 1 match due to his good record, but if this was another player involved, we certainly wouldn't have had this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users