Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What should the referee have done?

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

Poll: What should he have done? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick three - One for Radford, one for Bailey, and one for the penalty.

1. Radford red (30 votes [14.02%])

Percentage of vote: 14.02%

2. Radford yellow (44 votes [20.56%])

Percentage of vote: 20.56%

3. Radford nothing (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Bailey red (17 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

5. Bailey yellow (53 votes [24.77%])

Percentage of vote: 24.77%

6. Bailey nothing (5 votes [2.34%])

Percentage of vote: 2.34%

7. Penalty - Hull (32 votes [14.95%])

Percentage of vote: 14.95%

8. Penalty - Leeds (33 votes [15.42%])

Percentage of vote: 15.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 6 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't stand Bailey, however I find some people's responses on here a touch laughable.

Firstly, the elbows really weren't that bad. He was using his arms to try and get away from a player who was trying to dominate him. Sure I think refs could start to penalise this offence, but we see it most matches and players don't lose their heads like Radford did.

Secondly, people saying that Bailey was a coward and could have got up are talking nonsense. He was on the ground and took a good first punch, meaning the natural thing to do would have been tp ortect yourself, not try and get up and basically leave yourself open. Most times we see a player grab their opponent rather than throw punches back when a scuffle breaks out, yet they don't get branded cowardly.

I think Bailey should have been done a few years ago, and he is a nasty piece of work who loves the cheap shots. I like Radford, but the fact is he lost his head, and it cost his team.

I think he will get 1 match due to his good record, but if this was another player involved, we certainly wouldn't have had this thread.

Spot on from start to finish

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#62 bradfittler

bradfittler
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

Wasnt it refreshing to see Ryan BAiley getting put on his backside by one of the hard lads of the game...

I thought Bailey would have had a go back instead of cowering on the floor for all the sly elbows he gave radford... Notice how it all got split up and then bailey wanted some when there was 10 players in the way...

Bailey is just a soft muppet who only picks on wingers and does cheap shots... He had ample oppertunity to go toe to toe with radford....

I thought Radford getting sent off was very harsh. it was a sin binning at worse.

#63 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,873 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (bradfittler @ Sep 6 2010, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasnt it refreshing to see Ryan BAiley getting put on his backside by one of the hard lads of the game...

I thought Bailey would have had a go back instead of cowering on the floor for all the sly elbows he gave radford... Notice how it all got split up and then bailey wanted some when there was 10 players in the way...

Bailey is just a soft muppet who only picks on wingers and does cheap shots... He had ample oppertunity to go toe to toe with radford....

I thought Radford getting sent off was very harsh. it was a sin binning at worse.

Great post - can;t believe this incident hasn;t been mentioned already
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#64 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

RFL Press Release: Radford to face RFL Disciplinary Committee

Hull FC second row Lee Radford will appear before the RFL Disciplinary Committee on Tuesday following an incident in Round 27 of the Engage Super League.
Radford has been charged with a Grade A offence for punching Ryan Bailey in the 10th minute of Saturday’s 18-14 defeat to Leeds Rhinos at the KC Stadium. The Hull F.C player received a red card from referee Ian Smith following the incident.
Lee Radford was charged after the incident was viewed by the RFL Match Review Panel earlier today.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#65 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:16 AM

###### decision to send Radford off - runied the game (even if it now means Leeds have to go to the pie dome instead of having a cushy home game against the crusaders).
Should have warned Bailey for lashing out with the elbow, warned Radford for punching and put both in the bin for 10 to calm down. Penalty to Leeds though because its always the retaliator who concedes.

#66 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 5 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The issue is why does Bailey (along with some other Leeds players) get away with it repeatedly???

Get away with what ? Little cheap shots just like erm............joel tompkins.

#67 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 5 2010, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ryan Bailey represents the ugly part of the game, and players like him are the ones that put people off playing it.

Every team has one.You only have to look at lauaki at hull a complete head the ball.joel tompkins is another.

#68 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,943 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:09 PM

The ref was right to do what he did.
I am not even sure if he saw Bailey up to his normal tricks.

For all we know he could have just seen Radford hitting a man on the floor.

I am no fan of Bailey, but the ref had no choice.

#69 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Sep 6 2010, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic. The minority are clearly always in the right, the vast majority, clearly always in the wrong, including Jonathon Davies and Dave Woods, professionals who clearly know nothing about the game in spite of having watched it for years and having played it to test match level, in Davies' case.

Don't mind dave woods but davies is just a welsh windbag & should be kicked off commentating duties & sent back to the valleys.

#70 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,150 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Saint Toppy @ Sep 6 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
###### decision to send Radford off - runied the game (even if it now means Leeds have to go to the pie dome instead of having a cushy home game against the crusaders).
Should have warned Bailey for lashing out with the elbow, warned Radford for punching and put both in the bin for 10 to calm down. Penalty to Leeds though because its always the retaliator who concedes.
That's not the case, and hasn't been for years. The first offence is always penalised.

#71 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 6 2010, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't stand Bailey, however I find some people's responses on here a touch laughable.

Firstly, the elbows really weren't that bad. He was using his arms to try and get away from a player who was trying to dominate him. Sure I think refs could start to penalise this offence, but we see it most matches and players don't lose their heads like Radford did.

Secondly, people saying that Bailey was a coward and could have got up are talking nonsense. He was on the ground and took a good first punch, meaning the natural thing to do would have been tp ortect yourself, not try and get up and basically leave yourself open. Most times we see a player grab their opponent rather than throw punches back when a scuffle breaks out, yet they don't get branded cowardly.

I think Bailey should have been done a few years ago, and he is a nasty piece of work who loves the cheap shots. I like Radford, but the fact is he lost his head, and it cost his team.

I think he will get 1 match due to his good record, but if this was another player involved, we certainly wouldn't have had this thread.

An excellent post at last someone who talks sense.
p.s i'm a leeds supporter & i can't stand bailey either.

#72 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Sep 6 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting to read that this was the first time that he has been sent off in 13+ years, so his record to date should stand him in good stead. SoS I predict.

Just wondering how many times has ryan bailey been sent off in his career ? Anybody know ?

#73 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:35 PM

I thought Jonathan Davies's comment about Ryan Bailey during the Cup Final was brilliant; he effectively said what a waste of space Bailey is.

If I was a Leeds fan I think I'd sooner have Bailey's old man in the pack.

#74 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE (Loiner @ Sep 6 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wondering how many times has ryan bailey been sent off in his career ? Anybody know ?

Just looked through his stats back to 2003 on the Superleague website and it says he's had 4 yellow cards but no red ones. Radford has one yellow and obviously the red that he got on Saturday. We very rarely see the red card though so obviously it's hard to gain too much from that.

#75 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (foozler @ Sep 6 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Jonathan Davies's comment about Ryan Bailey during the Cup Final was brilliant; he effectively said what a waste of space Bailey is.

If I was a Leeds fan I think I'd sooner have Bailey's old man in the pack.

Couldn't agree more biggrin.gif

#76 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Blind side johnny @ Sep 6 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting to read that this was the first time that he has been sent off in 13+ years, so his record to date should stand him in good stead. SoS I predict.

What has his previous record got to do with it? If you throw three or four punches at a grounded defenceless player you should be banned it's as simple as that. The only time a previous record should be considered is when the amount of intent is debatable. The intent from Radford was to hurt a player therefore he should be banned.

#77 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

Fantastic. The minority are clearly always in the right, the vast majority, clearly always in the wrong, including Jonathon Davies and Dave Woods, professionals who clearly know nothing about the game in spite of having watched it for years and having played it to test match level, in Davies' case.

The majority are not always in the wrong but the vast majority have an axe to grind, such as yourself. That makes you and the other 8 out of ten not in the best position to judge. The most sense spoken on this thread comes from Dave T and kenilworth Tiger and it's no suprise they are looking at it logically and impartially. The RFL will see it for what it is and judge accordingly, they won't have black and white tinted spectacles on. I will accept their decision as the right one when Radford is banned.

#78 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

The majority are not always in the wrong but the vast majority have an axe to grind, such as yourself. That makes you and the other 8 out of ten not in the best position to judge. The most sense spoken on this thread comes from Dave T and kenilworth Tiger and it's no suprise they are looking at it logically and impartially. The RFL will see it for what it is and judge accordingly, they won't have black and white tinted spectacles on. I will accept their decision as the right one when Radford is banned.

#79 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Sep 6 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What has his previous record got to do with it? If you throw three or four punches at a grounded defenceless player you should be banned it's as simple as that. The only time a previous record should be considered is when the amount of intent is debatable. The intent from Radford was to hurt a player therefore he should be banned.

The big difference was if Bailey had attacked Radford on the ground, Radford would have got up and slotted him!

So you think when players fly into a tackle they are not trying to hurt the opposition?

You do talk a lot of "dangly bits" (in keeping with your non-swearing mode!).

You don't appear to have made much comment about the Bailey attempted head-butt on Long?
I think you'll find an act that is considered far worse than punching dry.gif

Players have stayed on the pitch this season for as much or even more than Radford dished out to Bailey.
I do hope Hull FC cite Bailey for the attempted head butt (even though it made Sean Long laugh!) and justice is served.......

P.S. was Mick sat with you? unsure.gif

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#80 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:03 PM

It's playing up! double post dry.gif

Edited by Roy Boy, 06 September 2010 - 05:05 PM.

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users