RUGBY FOOTBALL LODGE

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION

MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 03:10 PM

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO POST THE PICTURES BUT HERES SOMETHING WHICH SURPRISE A FEW PEOPLE - A MASONIC LODGE MEETING AT HUDDERSFIELD CALLED THE RUGBY FOOTBALL LODGE , ALTHOUGH IT SEEMS TO COVER BOTH CODES.

The Rugby Football Lodge

WM & Stevo
The Rugby Football Lodge held their first ‘Sportsman’s Dinner’ at the Masonic Hall, Greenhead Road, Huddersfield when over 120 attended and were entertained by David Howes, the former Rugby League Secretary who assisted as MC for the evening and Sky Sports Rugby League commentator Mike ‘Stevo’ Stephenson the former Shaw Cross, Dewsbury and Great Britain International player. Mike also played down under in Australia for Penrith Panthers.

Other distinguished guests present included Lt Colonel. Tom Vallins, W.O.2 Ian Perkins and Sgt Paul Lowe of the 3rd Battalion of the Yorkshire Regiment and Lt Colonel. Andrew Preston R.E.M.E. son of Bro. David Preston a lodge member and Paul Collinson of SKRUM (Swaziland Kids Rugby Union Mission).

Due to the generosity of those attending and the various brethren and companies who assisted in organising the event and donating raffle prizes the Worshipful Master David Somers on behalf of the lodge was able to give over £2000 to various charities including The Yorkshire Regiment, SKRUM and the Rugby Heritage Centre which is based at the George Hotel, Huddersfield.

Special thanks to Mike Frost of Corinthian Lodge and John Harrison, Tony Rennison and Robert ‘Jed’ Stone of the RFL and the Chef and Staff at Greenhead Masonic Hall.

Alan, WM David Somers & Lt. Col Tom Vallins
The whole evening was a great success and next year Bill Beaumont (British Lion and former England RU Captain) and Leeds Rugby’s John Bentley (British Lion, England and Leeds RL) have agreed to attend this premier event within the calendar of the Rugby Football Lodge.

Posted in Area 2, Provincial News on July 15th, 2010

previous post: Province of Yorkshire West Riding Clay Pigeon Association

next post: FREEMASONS’ GRAND CHARITY ANNOUNCES OVER £1 MILLION IN MAJOR GRANTS

#2 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

So this is how the code merger begins...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#3 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 6 2010, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So this is how the code merger begins...

It's an Illuminati plot! biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#4 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

Given the history of Freemasonry and the nature of this discrimniatory and secret society. I am somewhat surprised that the existence of a masonic lodge in league is welcomed on this board
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Freemasonry
Although Masonic Lodges were allowed to conceal their membership by an act of the Labour government in 1967. Should a sport that prides itself on "radicalism" (or so some of you tell me) want association with an organisation that not only disbars the female population from joining but who also conceals its members and behind doors activities from public scrutiny.
http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/
and their strange rituals

It's a serious post - Should RL figures have anything to do with Freemasonry - whatever the charitable intent?

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#5 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Sep 6 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Given the history of Freemasonry and the nature of this discrimniatory and secret society. I am somewhat surprised that the existence of a masonic lodge in league is welcomed on this board

Probably because sport is a great way to engender communication and openness.

Do you object to the RL developments in the Arab/Persian Gulf? There's no shortage of discriminatory and secretive behaviour there, either.

The Catholic Church is hardly a beacon of historical tolerance and open governance, guess we'd better frown upon all the RL teams formed associated with Catholic churches etc.

We're trying to be an open and non-discriminatory sport. If setting such an example can help others to behave in a similar manner, I see no reason we should not "welcome" them - doing so is not to automatically condone any historical transgressions etc.
Posted Image

#6 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Sep 6 2010, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Although Masonic Lodges were allowed to conceal their membership by an act of the Labour government in 1967. Should a sport that prides itself on "radicalism" (or so some of you tell me) want association with an organisation that not only disbars the female population from joining but who also conceals its members and behind doors activities from public scrutiny.

It's a serious post - Should RL figures have anything to do with Freemasonry - whatever the charitable intent?

Given that the sport also has a history of tolerance (doesn't it?), why shouldn't Freemasonry/Freemasons be associated with the sport?

I haven't read your links (may do tonight) but don't always believe or take as gospel what an organisation's detractors say. You could make a case against many non-mainstream sections of society based upon that approach.

The problem about being a small sport anchored in a relatively small section of society is that we haven't been used to diversity (and, yes, Masons are part of that diversity).
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#7 MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION

MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:10 AM

Sadly looking on the internet and taking whatever garbage is there as fact is rather naive,
It certainly isn't discriminatory as anyone can join regardless of race or religion the only prerequisite is to believe in a supreme being,and there are lodges for ladies who do not permit men.

Freemasonry is now more open than it used to be , but the reason for the secrecy of the membership was due to the persecution masons received during the WW2,there is a Police station in Malaga covered in masonic symbols and the conspiracy theorists will say "look the police don't even hide the fact they are masons over here" but what actually happened was general Franco took over the masonic building ,garotted 80 or so of the membership on the steps outside and placed his secret police in the building.

Also the united grand lodge of england is the biggest charity giving organisation in the uk with the exception of the national lottery - why would'nt Stevo etc support a charitable cause.

#8 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (MASONIC RL ASSOCIATION @ Sep 7 2010, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sadly looking on the internet and taking whatever garbage is there as fact is rather naive,
It certainly isn't discriminatory as anyone can join regardless of race or religion the only prerequisite is to believe in a supreme being,and there are lodges for ladies who do not permit men.

Freemasonry is now more open than it used to be , but the reason for the secrecy of the membership was due to the persecution masons received during the WW2,there is a Police station in Malaga covered in masonic symbols and the conspiracy theorists will say "look the police don't even hide the fact they are masons over here" but what actually happened was general Franco took over the masonic building ,garotted 80 or so of the membership on the steps outside and placed his secret police in the building.

Also the united grand lodge of england is the biggest charity giving organisation in the uk with the exception of the national lottery - why would'nt Stevo etc support a charitable cause.

Thank you the grand high wizard of propaganda. I'm typing this with my trouser leg rolled up just in case...

As for a supreme being - this is the 21st century, y'know.

We'll be having the bl00dy diabolists on here next doing a sponsored walk for junior RL.

Edited by Hornetto, 07 September 2010 - 07:35 AM.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#9 Celt

Celt
  • Coach
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

what he said.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

#10 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 7 2010, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you the grand high wizard of propaganda.

Strange you didn't accuse RR of propaganda after his post.

Once again, do you object to the Gulf RL developments, or RL clubs which were originally linked to Catholic churches?
Posted Image

#11 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

[/quote]
Right, just had a quick look at those links.
A wikipedia entry on freemasonry, as potentially accurate/inaccurate as anything on there. Discriminatory? They seem to admit anyone who believes in a 'supreme being', including those from the major world religions, and there are women's lodges. Secret? Is that a problem? To be honest, I haven't a clue which organisations my next door neighbour is a member of - do I need to know? Do I have the right to know?

Masonic lodges are allowed to conceal their membership? Aren't other organisations? I don't know who is in, for example, Hull KR Supporters Club and I can't think how I would find out. Is this any different? As for its 'behind doors' activities, why shouldn't it hide them from public scrutiny (if they are illegal then the authorities can investigate).

You'll forgive me if I don't read all those links, won't you, but could you please give me the gist of what the site is watching the Freemasons for? It seems to have a lot of references to Obama - is he a mason?

Also, and this seems strange on a site that is for watching Freemasonry, there seems to be quite a few references to Roman Catholicism on this site, including a strange video near the bottom ('Our Lady of Guadalupe') - is OLoG a masonic icon? - and a photo of Notre Dame, Montreal(?). Is this some Dan Brown conspiracy site? If so you should take your views to AOB where a good conspiracy 'discussion' is always welcome.

Monty Python, as always, do the business. "Hilarious Monty Python sendup of the Freemasons, their ridiculous secrecy and less than savory business and career preferment practices." says the youtube entry, together with a link to your freemasonry watch site. What the video poster doesn't say is that the sketch also rips the p*** out of those who overly fret about the organisation.

RL is not a 'radical' sport, in fact one of its faults is that it has been too conservative and too traditional in its history. It is a sport, a very good one, but not one that needs to be protected from wider society. RL, as I once said in a discussion about gays and RL, needs to be in every corner of society. A frightening thought for some but necessary for the health of the sport.

Now could you be a bit more specific about why you don't want masons or freemasonry associated with rugby league?

And, in the interests of openness, could you possibly reveal whether you are a member of any organisations (secular or religious) or hold any views that may cause you to be hostile to this group of society? wink.gif

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#12 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE (Rubber Schnib @ Sep 7 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Strange you didn't accuse RR of propaganda after his post.

Once again, do you object to the Gulf RL developments, or RL clubs which were originally linked to Catholic churches?

1. True.
2. No, but this is different.
3. Er...
4. ... that's it.

Posted Image

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:03 PM

Consider this:

Keith Mason plays for Huddersfield.

Is that a coincidence? I don't think so.

We should be told the truth now, before it's too late.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 7 2010, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. No, but this is different.

In what way?

My apartment isn't open to the general public, and I have no intention of detailing everything that takes place in it.

Presumably, I'm not welcome in RL.
Posted Image

#15 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

No, I think the whole ethos of RL is completely opposite to what the Freemasons are about.

I've written before that I was on the verge of being invited to join the masons. Had a tour of the inner sanctum and everything. Setting aside the political and ethical problems I had with them, it was difficult to keep a straight face. I kept wanting to shout "For Christ's sake, you're a bunch of middle managers from Rochdale, get over yourselves"

I thought, in order to save anyone any embarrassment, that I would declare my atheism before they got a chance to ask me if I was interested.

That's me.  I'm done.

#16 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

One is a covert hotbed of self-interested religiously-motivated maniacs seeking to use their international connections for self agrandisement, mutual promotion and avoidance of recrimination for its actions. The other is Arabs engaged in a bit of tig and pass.

Just because you're not prepared to let people into the intimate happenings that take place in your flat doesn't mean that you'll also heavily discriminate in favour of similar apartmentinati.

Posted Image

#17 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Sep 7 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Masonic lodges are allowed to conceal their membership? Aren't other organisations? I don't know who is in, for example, Hull KR Supporters Club and I can't think how I would find out. Is this any different? As for its 'behind doors' activities, why shouldn't it hide them from public scrutiny (if they are illegal then the authorities can investigate).

Any organisation where people want to conceal their membership is dodgy by definition IMO.

That's me.  I'm done.

#18 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Sep 7 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, and this seems strange on a site that is for watching Freemasonry, there seems to be quite a few references to Roman Catholicism on this site, .

Catholics aren't allowed to be Freemasons. Catholics who are Masons are in a state of grave sin and may not take Holy Communion.

If you believe in that claptrap, then that's probably important.

That's me.  I'm done.

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

I've known a couple of freemasons who were officially CofE but whose high church attitudes would have made the Pope blush.

One recently died of cancer and had a Requiem Mass held for him in Rome.

But was still buried CofE and a mason.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

I've just had a quote for some work from a stonemason. I thought it was a bit on the pricey side.

Is there a funny handshake I could give him that will knock 20% off the price?

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users