Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The 1895 Club

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

During last night's programme on Eddie Waring there was a reference to the 1895 Club. Does anyone know more about this club and its aims? Is it still going? I wonder if anyone on here were members of that club?

#2 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Sep 8 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
During last night's programme on Eddie Waring there was a reference to the 1895 Club. Does anyone know more about this club and its aims? Is it still going? I wonder if anyone on here were members of that club?

It has existed in various guises from time to time. The last one I am aware of was set up Lionel Hurst and was based at the George Hotel in Huddersfield. My Girlfriend was a director of it for a while. It arranged various fund raising events such as NRL grand final breakfasts etc.
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#3 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (paley @ Sep 8 2010, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has existed in various guises from time to time. The last one I am aware of was set up Lionel Hurst and was based at the George Hotel in Huddersfield. My Girlfriend was a director of it for a while. It arranged various fund raising events such as NRL grand final breakfasts etc.

Cheers Paley. So was the original supporters club established with the specific aim of trying to counter what it saw as 'patronising' and 'stereotyping' coverage of the sport by the BBC with Waring the 'villain'? Why was the 1895 club set up?

#4 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Sep 8 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers Paley. So was the original supporters club established with the specific aim of trying to counter what it saw as 'patronising' and 'stereotyping' coverage of the sport by the BBC with Waring the 'villain'? Why was the 1895 club set up?

I remember reading something a few years back about an 1895 Group (or it might have been Club) that held fundraisers for international development. That might be the group you're asking about?

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,096 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

QUOTE (Big Picture @ Sep 8 2010, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember reading something a few years back about an 1895 Group (or it might have been Club) that held fundraisers for international development. That might be the group you're asking about?

I think Saint Billinge may have been a member during the time they were talking about, he was present when a delegation presented a petition to the BBC demanding improvements in their coverage of RL.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Sep 8 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The 1895 club organised by Lionel Hurst was set up well after Eddie Waring had died so I don't think they had any axe to grind there. I believe it was just for fundraising purposes as others have alluded to.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Sep 8 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Saint Billinge may have been a member during the time they were talking about, he was present when a delegation presented a petition to the BBC demanding improvements in their coverage of RL.

I was indeed present when it was formed. Its aims was to promote rugby league far and wide taking in all levels. A petition was organised against the BBC at the time for its poor coverage. This petition was presented to the BBC before the 1976 Challenge Cup final. While handing it over, our chairman made it very clear it wasn't against Eddie Waring. So, what do the press do that attended! They turned it into an anti Eddie Waring attack. Typical! Their version that came out has stuck to this day and is untrue.

I do recall Harry Edgar attending several meetings and where his magazine was born. In its time, the 1895 club rattled a few people inside rugby league for having the audacity to challenge the sports ruling body.

There were many successes and an enjoyable time being radical. biggrin.gif

#8 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Sep 8 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And also helped developing nations.The Dutch benefited from the 1895 International with equipment which was brought over by the first incoming tour team (Rotterdam v Clock Face Miners) in 2004.

The Dutch wore the 1895 logo on their shorts that season when they played Serbia and Scotland Students

#9 the punt

the punt
  • Coach
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

I'd quite like to be a member of the 1895 Club! Anybody fancy gettting it up and running again?

#10 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (yanto @ Sep 8 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And also helped developing nations.The Dutch benefited from the 1895 International with equipment which was brought over by the first incoming tour team (Rotterdam v Clock Face Miners) in 2004.

The Dutch wore the 1895 logo on their shorts that season when they played Serbia and Scotland Students

Indeed, it's a shame it didn't continue.

The Clock Face lads showed up at every event
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

#11 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Sep 8 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Apart from the wedding party raid in the George ... biggrin.gif

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (the punt @ Sep 8 2010, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd quite like to be a member of the 1895 Club! Anybody fancy gettting it up and running again?

The original 1895 club gave the fans a voice and enjoyment working together for the good of the sport.

#13 the punt

the punt
  • Coach
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Sep 8 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The original 1895 club gave the fans a voice and enjoyment working together for the good of the sport.

It would be great if someone had the time and inclination to get it going again, I'd pay good money to join a club like that.

#14 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (paley @ Sep 8 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why did it not continue?
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (the punt @ Sep 8 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be great if someone had the time and inclination to get it going again, I'd pay good money to join a club like that.

At its height, the regular meetings were very well attended. Like other organisations, though, numbers dwindled. There was also the thorny issue that the bulk of the work was being carried by a select few with many members simply using it as a social event at meetings. I suspect the other 1895 club had similar problems!

The original 1895 club also made many enemies within the sport simply for voicing opinion. The sport back then thought fans should be seen but not heard. cool.gif

Edited by Saint Billinge, 09 September 2010 - 02:39 AM.

#16 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Sep 8 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was indeed present when it was formed. Its aims was to promote rugby league far and wide taking in all levels. A petition was organised against the BBC at the time for its poor coverage. This petition was presented to the BBC before the 1976 Challenge Cup final. While handing it over, our chairman made it very clear it wasn't against Eddie Waring. So, what do the press do that attended! They turned it into an anti Eddie Waring attack. Typical! Their version that came out has stuck to this day and is untrue.

I do recall Harry Edgar attending several meetings and where his magazine was born. In its time, the 1895 club rattled a few people inside rugby league for having the audacity to challenge the sports ruling body.

There were many successes and an enjoyable time being radical. biggrin.gif

Thanks for this Saint Billinge - interesting stuff. So it wasn't the type of coverage that the club was concerned about but the quantity? Is that what you mean by 'poor coverage'? It must've been exciting being part of that first 'historical' meeting. Were you mostly Saints fans because I'm sure the guys interviewed on the documentary were Saints supporters. Hope I'm not being nosy; just curious and interested.

I would too. I'm just thinking whether that supporters organisation (forget what it's called) that is to meet or has met in Huddersfield is trying to do something as 'radical' today - I don't know. If so, I should've paid more notice!

#17 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Manx RL @ Sep 8 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why did it not continue?

I am not sure but I guess the driving force behind it was Lionel, I think maybe he found other pursuits and it just petered out. It was fun while it lasted.

#18 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Cofi @ Sep 9 2010, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for this Saint Billinge - interesting stuff. So it wasn't the type of coverage that the club was concerned about but the quantity? Is that what you mean by 'poor coverage'? It must've been exciting being part of that first 'historical' meeting. Were you mostly Saints fans because I'm sure the guys interviewed on the documentary were Saints supporters. Hope I'm not being nosy; just curious and interested.

I would too. I'm just thinking whether that supporters organisation (forget what it's called) that is to meet or has met in Huddersfield is trying to do something as 'radical' today - I don't know. If so, I should've paid more notice!

The main thrust of the petition was to improve the quality, rather than use the sport as a sideshow. We also fought for rugby league to be played in the armed forces, colleges and universities. Evey week something new arrived to get involved in. It really was exciting stuff. We had fans from far and wide but mostly Saints fans.

We really did upset some people in rugby league but so be it the way fans were treated at times.

#19 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

Would we have to roll our trouser legs up?

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#20 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Saint Billinge @ Sep 9 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The main thrust of the petition was to improve the quality, rather than use the sport as a sideshow. We also fought for rugby league to be played in the armed forces, colleges and universities. Evey week something new arrived to get involved in. It really was exciting stuff. We had fans from far and wide but mostly Saints fans.

We really did upset some people in rugby league but so be it the way fans were treated at times.

Thanks SB. College and University RL is played the length and breadth of the country today (If I'm correct) so it would seem that the club made a significant contribution in this regard, fulfilling one of its main objectives. When you mention Harry Edgar's magazine, was this the club's official magazine? It'd be great to have a look at a few copies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users