Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What was Rugby called before the 1895 split?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

One little thing that narks me is people within and outside RL who refer to the game of rugby prior to the split as "rugby union". This myth was even propagated by RL people in the Eddie Waring documentary ther other day.

Surely it was just called "Rugby" and governed by the Rugby Football Union?

Does anyone have any evidence that Rugby was called Rugby Union before the split?

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

It was called football.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

Rugby, Football or Rugby Football
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:31 PM

Or rugger.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

When did it become kick and clap?

#6 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

I always thought there was originally two games, rugby football and association football. The word union only came about after 'the great schism' to differentiate it from the Northern Union, later Rugby League.

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#7 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

well this print on the vanity fair website is dated February 1st 1890 and entitled "Rugby Union".. not sure why as it looks like a pratt in a bowler hat but its obviously a term used at this point..
here

would expect and IIRC it was just called Rugby or Football by most people as it is now by people.. with the union and league left off and people from the different areas knowing which one you meant when you were talking.. and knowing the context you were talking in etc.. as it is now.

Edited by RP London, 09 September 2010 - 12:53 PM.

#8 paley

paley
  • Coach
  • 18,197 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Sep 9 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well this print on the vanity fair website is dated February 1st 1890 and entitled "Rugby Union".. not sure why as it looks like a pratt in a bowler hat but its obviously a term used at this point..
here

would expect and IIRC it was just called Rugby or Football by most people as it is now by people.. with the union and league left off and people from the different areas knowing which one you meant when you were talking.. and knowing the context you were talking in etc.. as it is now.

The title is referring to the Rugby Football Union not the game
Join team TRL to help cure cancer http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780 Team number 43780

Team summary: http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 9 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One little thing that narks me is people within and outside RL who refer to the game of rugby prior to the split as "rugby union". This myth was even propagated by RL people in the Eddie Waring documentary ther other day.

Surely it was just called "Rugby" and governed by the Rugby Football Union?

Does anyone have any evidence that Rugby was called Rugby Union before the split?

In the early 1890s the infamous Rev Frank Marshall wrote a book called "Football: The Rugby Union Game"

It's well worth a read if you can find a copy.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'd normally shift this into the cross-code section, but that's closed at the moment due to the absence of the only moderator with the patience to keep things on the right side of civil in there, so to prevent hostilities spilling over into this section in the meantime, I'm locking the thread. Sorry.

In terms of a definitive answer to the original question, try contacting Tony Collins via his blog at http://www.rugbyreloaded.com - if he doesn't know, no one does.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users