TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

League Express is 20 today

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:57 AM

League Express is 20 today.

Time to dig out the party poppers!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Those were the days biggrin.gif Am I right in thinking that it was Wigan v Sheffield on the cover?

I have fond memories of a work experience/work shadowing trip to League Express in the early 1990s. Back then the League Express office was a tiny cupboard like space in the Telegraph & Argus building in Bradford. Lots of clutter, a young, recently graduated Oldham fan by the name of Andy Wilson was working there, along with Tim and others. It seemed really exciting being in a newsroom - they had those old Macs with black and white screens, using an early version of Quark Xpress.

Before the move to Wellington House, I'm sure there was another office - correct me if I'm wrong - maybe again at the T&A building. I spent one student summer going in there once a week to write up pieces for Total Rugby League (anyone remember that?). - interviews and previews with people like Jimmy Lowes, Paul Carr, Lynton Stott, that Aussie bloke with blond/ginger hair who played for London, Tony Martin happy days biggrin.gif

A lot has changed over the years, though I noticed from my last visit to the office that Tim and Martyn's desks are still piled high with old papers, press releases and such biggrin.gif
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#3 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,846 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Oops, accidental double post wacko.gif

Obviously too excited by the news biggrin.gif

Edited by West Country Eagle, 10 September 2010 - 12:30 PM.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#4 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Widnes were reigning Official World Club Champions...........
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#5 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

Is there anyway of putting one online in a pdf to look through? Would be very interested to see it.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#6 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (London Dick @ Sep 10 2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there anyway of putting one online in a pdf to look through? Would be very interested to see it.

I'm not sure where to look for the original files to be honest, League Express HQ has moved around a bit since 1990.

However, here's an entertaining blog on the subject from a certain Mr Tony Hannan which also includes a piccy of the first cover.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#7 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Sep 10 2010, 01:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Widnes were reigning Official World Club Champions...........

My! League express is getting old!!!!! laugh.gif
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:40 AM

Not as good as the Rugby Leaguer though, is it?

rolleyes.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Sep 14 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not sure where to look for the original files to be honest, League Express HQ has moved around a bit since 1990.

However, here's an entertaining blog on the subject from a certain Mr Tony Hannan which also includes a piccy of the first cover.

Hmmm, just a bit gushing and self-congratulatory by TH don't you think?

How does he reckon that RLE etc have had a "massive impact on the wellbeing of RL in general"? Succinct answers rather than political waffle in response please. Personally I believe that most sports publications reflect the wellbeing of their games rather than creating such, but then what do I know?

Happy Anniversary btw.

wink.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Sep 14 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sad I know John, but I have almost every copy in my archives (maybe missing a dozen or so)!!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users