Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

World's ten best full backs

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE (steef @ Sep 14 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
slightly off topic but having watched Tomkins' defense 1 on 1 against Leeds no way should he be playing full back. I'd bet wellens and mathers to name 2 would've stopped Donald from scoring.

yeah but when ever have wellens or mathers picked the ball up from dummy half,side stepped a couple and gone 75 yard to score like tomkins did the other week....

a fullbacks primary objective,in international RL,should'nt be defence....

and for the record englands missing world class fullback.......is playing union for northampton

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#22 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 14 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten best full backs in the world, based on current form:

Billy Slater
Jarryd Hayne
Josh Dugan
Darius Boyd
Lachlan Coote
Matt Bowen
Anthony Minichiello
Preston Campbell
Lance Hohaia
Luke Patten

Paul Wellens would never be chosen over any of the above ten by any NRL club.

The only bright spots for England are the possible repositioning of Sam Tomkins (thereby weakening the halves) or else promotion of the Melbourne-trained Gareth Widdop.

Why are English full backs so unimpressive in attack?

It is a long historical oddity. Perhaps it is a result of the soggy grounds on which rugby league used to be played in winter. Australians had firmer grounds, which favoured agile and fleet footed runners. Yet after fourteen years of summer rugby league, England has been unable to produce a top quality attacking and defensive full back.

So the question still remains without a satisfactory answer.

The lack of classy full backs, along with the lack of classy attacking centres, is the main reason why England cannot beat Australia in a three match series or in a Tri Nations or a World Cup.

Because the people who compile these lists have never seen Wayne English play.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#23 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 15 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There seems to be a clique here that think they own the forums. wink.gif

Care to enlighten us with names?
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#24 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 15 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Care to enlighten us with names?

I think it is obvious to all but the blind rolleyes.gif

#25 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Sep 15 2010, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah but when ever have wellens or mathers picked the ball up from dummy half,side stepped a couple and gone 75 yard to score like tomkins did the other week....

and for the record englands missing world class fullback.......is playing union for northampton

Very true and he was criticised for his defence too. Defence being more than tackling BTW so on that basis Tomkins is very good in some aspects.

#26 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 15 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is obvious to all but the blind rolleyes.gif

Must need a guide dog then! biggrin.gif

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#27 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

One of the frustrations as a Wigan fan is that a superb junior fullback has never played fullback at academy or first team level for the club; Stefan Marsh. Similarly, the best fullback display v Wigan in recent seasons was by Richard Owen and he rarely if ever gets to play FB even allowing for his injury.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:36 AM

A Test standard Fullback should have rock solid defence and positional sense, the ability to return the ball in broken play and chime into the attack is the other half of his resume.
Show me a top full back that has bad defence? (don't say Slater, he has had some clangers but in general his try saving is better than nearly anyones.)

#29 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,752 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:45 PM

When I see the list, it makes me realise the likes of Belcher, Jack, Ettinghausen, Hampson and Radlinski are superior to all of them.

Has the situation turned so greatly that the emphasis on fullback play is primarily about attack, with defence being a distant second?

#30 hunsletgiant

hunsletgiant
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (joe elliot @ Sep 14 2010, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for me tompkins would be in the top 3 full backs in the world, i wouldnt say hes in the best 3 stand offs in the world. I'd play him there for England, regardless of who we have in the halves.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#31 hunsletgiant

hunsletgiant
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

Super league has no decent full backs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whos the current man of steel?!

Tomkns will never be an out and out fb. He couldnt tackle donald and he is an over the hill WINGER!

#32 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:14 PM

Attack wise Tomkins is a superb fullback, but Donald simply ran over him to score, one on one tackleing and safe under a highball are pre requesites in my book. Would O'Conner be such a hero at Oldham if he was shakey at either even if his attack was still as good at it is? Tomkins is a top class halfback who is a good defender at in the line but based purely on his performance against Leeds doesn't yet have the full set of attributes to be a world class fullback, not to say he won't do in the future.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#33 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:20 PM

Not seen Brett Carter play then eh, expand your horizons mate.

#34 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Australia was not really renowned for brilliant full backs until Clive Churchill, "The Little Master," appeared in the 1950s. But he was out on his own with no competitor within Australia. Of his contemporaries only the Frenchman Puig Aubert could challenge Churchill's status.

Then came the 1960s, when the old boring standby, Keith Barnes (Balmain's brilliant goal kicker and solid defender, but hopeless attacker) got shunted aside by Les Johns, Graeme Langlands and Ken Thornett. The talent at full back in Australia was so rich that they moved the now Immortal Langlands to centre, so as to accommodate Thornett and Johns in the Kangaroo squads.

Australia has always had several top class attacking and defending fullbacks in their system. Russell Fairfax and Graham Eadie in the 1970s, Garry Jack and Gary Belcher in the 1980s, Gary Belcher, Dale Shearer, Andrew Ettingshausen, Tim Brasher, Robbie O'Davis, and Darren Lockyer in the 1990s, Darren Lockyer, Brett Hodgson, Anthony Minichiello and Matt Bowen in the first half of the 2000s.

I cannot recall any time since the 1950s when Great Britain had a full back who was in the same class as the best from Australia. But since 2005 it has been a glut of full back talent in Australia.

Today I think we can agree that Clint Greenshields and Brett Hodgson are the best attacking full backs in Super League. So I could have named at least twelve, perhaps fifteen Aussie full backs who were better than the best in England. There must be something wrong with the junior recruitment, the way the game is played, or the physical environment (weather and grounds), that keeps England from producing abundant great talent in this playing position.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 15 September 2010 - 08:16 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,540 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:21 PM

kris radlinski

#36 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Sep 15 2010, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tomkins is a top class halfback who is a good defender at in the line but based purely on his performance against Leeds doesn't yet have the full set of attributes to be a world class fullback, not to say he won't do in the future.

Tomkins has a lot to work on defence wise at full back as you point out, in his favour is getting to work with Radlinski day in day out, arguably the best British full back of the Super League era.

Would love to see him successfully achieve the switch freeing up a half back slot in the England team for some of the other potentially good halfs we have out there.

#37 PJT

PJT
  • Coach
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 14 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten best full backs in the world, based on current form:

Billy Slater
Jarryd Hayne
Josh Dugan
Darius Boyd
Lachlan Coote
Matt Bowen
Anthony Minichiello
Preston Campbell
Lance Hohaia
Luke Patten

Paul Wellens would never be chosen over any of the above ten by any NRL club.

The only bright spots for England are the possible repositioning of Sam Tomkins (thereby weakening the halves) or else promotion of the Melbourne-trained Gareth Widdop.

Why are English full backs so unimpressive in attack?

It is a long historical oddity. Perhaps it is a result of the soggy grounds on which rugby league used to be played in winter. Australians had firmer grounds, which favoured agile and fleet footed runners. Yet after fourteen years of summer rugby league, England has been unable to produce a top quality attacking and defensive full back.

So the question still remains without a satisfactory answer.

The lack of classy full backs, along with the lack of classy attacking centres, is the main reason why England cannot beat Australia in a three match series or in a Tri Nations or a World Cup.

Why no French?

#38 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 15 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tomkins has a lot to work on defence wise at full back as you point out, in his favour is getting to work with Radlinski day in day out, arguably the best British full back of the Super League era.

Would love to see him successfully achieve the switch freeing up a half back slot in the England team for some of the other potentially good halfs we have out there.

Kris Radlinski was the best English full back of the Super League era. But that tells you something right there. Would anyone seriously put Radlinski in the same class as his Australian contemporaries -- young Darren Lockyer or Anthony Minichiello?

Edited by ParisSurtout, 15 September 2010 - 08:28 PM.

_____

#39 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 15 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kris Radlinski was the best English full back of the Super League era. But that tells you something right there. Would anyone seriously put Radlinski in the same class as his Australian contemporaries -- young Darren Lockyer or Anthony Minichiello?

Not sure I'd be so categoric I am sure Saints fans will be along to tell you that Wellans in his pomp was as good as if not better.

Plus I am biast, having watched Radlinski from the Alliance through to GB.

Can't comment on your Aussie fullbacks, NRL bores me rigid and as GB we've never really tested them, so defensively they could be down there with Tomkins and most of us Brits wouldn't have noticed!

#40 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 15 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure I'd be so categoric I am sure Saints fans will be along to tell you that Wellans in his pomp was as good as if not better.

Plus I am biast, having watched Radlinski from the Alliance through to GB.

Can't comment on your Aussie fullbacks, NRL bores me rigid and as GB we've never really tested them, so defensively they could be down there with Tomkins and most of us Brits wouldn't have noticed!

I don't know which games of the NRL you have been watching, but any games that involve Sydney Roosters, the West Tigers and Canberra Raiders in recent weeks have been anything but boring. Last Saturday's West Tigers vs Sydney Roosters was an epic for the ages.

Try watching Canberra vs West Tigers on Friday morning (Josh Dugan vs Wade McKinnon) and Sydney Roosters vs Penrith Panthers Saturday morning (Lachlan Coote vs Anthony Minichiello) and then you will be better informed (and hardly likely to be bored).

Edited by ParisSurtout, 15 September 2010 - 09:02 PM.

_____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users