• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Sep 17 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when to attack when to defend?....he could have run the ball into touch,that would have been the clever thing to do....instead he threw it back into play with no australian near him and 2 kiwis chasing him....unsurprisingly a kiwi picked it up to score.....shocking DEFENCE by the worlds best fullback

You pick out one blunder in one game out of a long career of glittering successes, and then you have the cheek to suggest that this one blunder proves Billy Slater is a poor defender. Pity that you don't get a chance to watch him many times a year in the NRL as most of the wiser judges do, so you could make an informed judgment. Then this single blunder wouldn't have been picked out as if it meant anything significant about the talent of the player. Billy Slater is recognised as an outstanding defender week in, week out. He stops as many tries as he scores.

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Sep 17 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one on one with a lumbering 110kg forward and he could'nt lay a finger on him.....shocking defence by the worlds best fullback

"Lumbering?" Sam Burgess? You must be kidding. laugh.gif

I was there at the match sitting high in the stands and on half way. I watched it again later on TV. The Burgess boy was running like a three quarter. He beat two players as I recall. The fact that he beat an accomplished defender like Billy Slater was a reason why Burgess was celebrated for his performance.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 18 September 2010 - 02:02 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#62 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,713 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 03:11 AM

no back should get turnstiled by a forward...especially "the worlds best fullback"...if sam had of smashed right through slater then i'd kinda be on slaters side for having a go....but sam sat him on his backside without even touching him laugh.gif

and i did'nt pick 1 blunder,i picked a few but you chose not to see them......everyone with any sense knows billy is responsible for the occasional brain fart...its just they get forgotten cos he scores ridiculous tries

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#63 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 18 2010, 12:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kleenex?

Are you asking for one?
Your Ego is getting all hot and sweaty, does it need wiping down?
rolleyes.gif

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 September 2010 - 09:12 AM.

#64 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 06:24 AM

Does Billy Slater still tackle with his knees?

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#65 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

QUOTE (Wiltshire Rhino @ Sep 18 2010, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does Billy Slater still tackle with his knees?

He tackles with the power of his superhuman mind.

#66 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Sep 18 2010, 04:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no back should get turnstiled by a forward...especially "the worlds best fullback"...if sam had of smashed right through slater then i'd kinda be on slaters side for having a go....but sam sat him on his backside without even touching him laugh.gif

and i did'nt pick 1 blunder,i picked a few but you chose not to see them......everyone with any sense knows billy is responsible for the occasional brain fart...its just they get forgotten cos he scores ridiculous tries

He must be ###### then Spud with those two "blunders"
No wonder we are contemplating Widdop at Fullback because he is as good or better than Brain Fart, with Widdops vast experience he will be similar or better than Slater.
Are you Maccas advisor by any chance?
I can think of one player in Englands backs that made more mistakes in one recent game against the Aussies than all of Slaters in a couple of seasons.
He is still considered a top shelf player, so much so that Union wanted him then changed their minds.

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 September 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#67 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:18 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 18 2010, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He tackles with the power of his superhuman mind.

He doesnt need to tackle them anymore, the player see`s Slater and knows he has no chance getting past the NRL superman and just falls over.

#68 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 14 2010, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten best full backs in the world, based on current form:

Billy Slater
Jarryd Hayne
Josh Dugan
Darius Boyd
Lachlan Coote
Matt Bowen
Anthony Minichiello
Preston Campbell
Lance Hohaia
Luke Patten

Paul Wellens would never be chosen over any of the above ten by any NRL club.

The only bright spots for England are the possible repositioning of Sam Tomkins (thereby weakening the halves) or else promotion of the Melbourne-trained Gareth Widdop.

Why are English full backs so unimpressive in attack?

It is a long historical oddity. Perhaps it is a result of the soggy grounds on which rugby league used to be played in winter. Australians had firmer grounds, which favoured agile and fleet footed runners. Yet after fourteen years of summer rugby league, England has been unable to produce a top quality attacking and defensive full back.

So the question still remains without a satisfactory answer.

The lack of classy full backs, along with the lack of classy attacking centres, is the main reason why England cannot beat Australia in a three match series or in a Tri Nations or a World Cup.

campbell is primarily a half back and boyd a winger.....and FFS luke patten???
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#69 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 01:33 PM

Campbell is first choice fullback for the Titans, as is Boyd for the Dragons (he just won Dally M Fullback of the Year actually).

Edited by CGD, 18 September 2010 - 01:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users