A Question from a RU Fan.

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:00 AM

In retrospect I think the main problem was simply attitude.The players were always looking for ways to cheat-twisting,lying across the tunnel,feeding etc and the crowds basically accepted that that was to be expected from professional players and wouldn't allow the ref to effectively police the rules.While an RL scrum is inherently less stable than an RU scrum a much better attempt could have been made to enforce proper body position n feed.

#62 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (koli @ Sep 22 2010, 07:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In retrospect I think the main problem was simply attitude.The players were always looking for ways to cheat-twisting,lying across the tunnel,feeding etc and the crowds basically accepted that that was to be expected from professional players and wouldn't allow the ref to effectively police the rules.While an RL scrum is inherently less stable than an RU scrum a much better attempt could have been made to enforce proper body position n feed.

Exactly right, why retain the scrum if we are not going to do it properly?

The RFL like to introduce new facets to our game each year, here is my suggestion for the next one; Play scrums properley, bind down correctly (safety issue) and no feeding.

This would force teams to develop this weapon in the armoury or constantly scede possesion and would stop RU folk sneering at our game as this small play done so badly is one of the two(along with 6 tackles) examples that they constantly use to champion their code over ours.

#63 Cofi

Cofi
  • Coach
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (timhammonds @ Sep 22 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly right, why retain the scrum if we are not going to do it properly?

The RFL like to introduce new facets to our game each year, here is my suggestion for the next one; Play scrums properley, bind down correctly (safety issue) and no feeding.

This would force teams to develop this weapon in the armoury or constantly scede possesion and would stop RU folk sneering at our game as this small play done so badly is one of the two(along with 6 tackles) examples that they constantly use to champion their code over ours.

Or we could get rid of it completely and be truly radical and different!

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (welshexile1963 @ Sep 19 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do I pick up so much negativity towards RU by RL fans? There's no need for it there's room in the world for both codes!

It is more of an internet thing. Certainly if you go to watch RL matches (even in the heartlands), the occasional spectator will be wearing an England RU top and nobody blinks an eyelid.

#65 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:35 AM

QUOTE (welshexile1963 @ Sep 19 2010, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand that but lets move on!!! God knows us Welsh could be really cheesed off with the northern clubs for coming down and taking our best players but that was a different era times move on yes?

perhaps when the french union cough up the money they owe

#66 TheObserver

TheObserver
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

welshexile, there was a thread about this last month called scrum. Posters bobrock and I argued that a contested scrum would add an extra dimension to the game and to RL forwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users