Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Repeat Fixtures in the Play-Offs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:49 PM

People have been harking on about the possibilities of repeat fixtures in the play-offs (i.e. Wigan & Leeds this year).

Just an idea, not sure if people would agree or not, but what about an aggregate system?
e.g. Wigan lost to Leeds 26-27. So if they meet again in the play-offs, they have to win by more than one point. If they draw, they're out, ad if they win by 1 point it's extra time.

It's just an idea to make the repeat play-off format more fair on the team that won the first game. I think it would be a bit unfair if sayWire won today and then beat Saints by 1 point after Saints demolished them in week one.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

#2 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 18 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
People have been harking on about the possibilities of repeat fixtures in the play-offs (i.e. Wigan & Leeds this year).

Just an idea, not sure if people would agree or not, but what about an aggregate system?
e.g. Wigan lost to Leeds 26-27. So if they meet again in the play-offs, they have to win by more than one point. If they draw, they're out, ad if they win by 1 point it's extra time.

It's just an idea to make the repeat play-off format more fair on the team that won the first game. I think it would be a bit unfair if sayWire won today and then beat Saints by 1 point after Saints demolished them in week one.

Thoughts?

This doesnt concern you, nothing to see here
tongue.gif

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#3 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Riversiderontour @ Sep 18 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This doesnt concern you, nothing to see here
tongue.gif

If this came into SL next season, I'd have thought it would concern every team? wink.gif
Posted Image

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Sep 18 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thoughts?

Thought 1. You've got way too much leisure time.

Thought 2. I support Salford. This has got f.all to do with me. wink.gif

Thought 3. No.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

If it's a thread by Wellsy you're pretty much assured of a hair-brained scheme! biggrin.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

Some great replies.

I'd just say, if one of the sides got flogged the first game, they'd have to win by a ridiculous margin so no one would bother turning up. Good effort though, but I don't really see it as a problem.

What I might bring in is that a team can't pick a side they've already played, but can pick the other side that went straight through to the semis, but is lower ranked.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#7 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

why is a repeat match a problem? I thouroughly enjoyed the last Wigan v Leeds game and will look forward to the next should Saints choose Huddersfield.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#8 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,116 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Sep 18 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thought 1. You've got way too much leisure time.

Thought 2. I support Salford. This has got f.all to do with me. wink.gif

Thought 3. No.

so you're the one laugh.gif laugh.gif

seriously back on topic i think that if wigan play leeds again then wigan will win easily.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 18 September 2010 - 10:26 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#9 Cliffy Lyons

Cliffy Lyons
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

A Joke.........................Play offs should be 6 teams but if we have to go with 8 to promote medicority and
make it an interesting season for the under achievers then so be it.

#10 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

why not make all the league games count towards the play offs? Say Wigan beat Leeds at the DW, by 20 points, and lose at Headingly by 16, in the play-offs, give Wigan 4 points start.

We can ignore Magic weekend fixtures in this.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif dry.gif
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#11 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,069 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

And all this dictates what minute Multi-ball begins...

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#12 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Sep 19 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And all this dictates what minute Multi-ball begins...

How would offside work? laugh.gif
Posted Image

#13 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Thoughts?

How about

1 v 8
2 v 7
3 v 6
4 v 5

Losers go out then highest ranked winner gets home game against lowest ranked winner. e.g

1 vs 2
3 v 4

Winners then go to GF. Still have to win 3 games to lift title, shortens play offs by 1 week which gives more time between season end and start of whatever international calendar there is. Simple.

#14 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thoughts?

The simple answer is to have teams cross over in the third week to avoid any repeat matchups prior to the Grand Final, like the AFL does:

Week 1

A 1 vs. 4
B 5 vs. 8
C 2 vs. 3
D 6 vs. 7

Week 2

E Loser A vs. Winner B
F Loser C vs. Winner D

Week 3

G Winner A vs. Winner F
H Winner D vs. Winner E

Week 4