Super League finals crowds are dire, especially compared to NRL

WEEK 1 (4 matches)

NRL Total: 92,605 Average: 23,151.5

SL Total: 48,187 Average: 12,046.75

WEEK 2 (2 matches)

NRL 26,476 23,459 Total: 49,935 Average: 24,967.5

SL 11,133 8,050 Total: 19,183 Average: 9,591.5

I expect that next week the contrast will be even worse.

Is the difference because of the recesssion in England?

The Aussies don't have a recession. The Australian economy is booming.

But why did the English average decline in the second (knockout round) week when the NRL average went up?

How does this compare with last year or previous years? The best recent comparison year would be 2007 when both economies were booming.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for gods sake what the hell have crowds got to do with anything, our games have been 10 times more entertaining than theirs, and for me that is all that matters, GET A LIFE.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

for gods sake what the hell have crowds got to do with anything,

They have a lot to do with the financial solvency of the game. Didn't you know that?

our games have been 10 times more entertaining than theirs, and for me that is all that matters, GET A LIFE.

That is debateable.

Did you see West Tigers vs Canberra? Was that ten times less entertaining than either SL game this weekend? Instead of being so defensive and resentful, try to think about these important issues a little more objectively.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

I don't think league in this country has enough "casual fans". It seems like most who are a fan of the game goes to a good few games a season at the very least.

Union and the NRL both have that fanbase which will very occasionally go watch matches, or turn up to big matches.

It's almost as if it's the same group of fans upholding the bulk of season tickets, Challenge Cup, CC Semi-Finals, CC Wembley, England internationals, World Club Challenge, Millenium Magic, SL play-offs and GF.

Obviously lack of media coverage and the matches on Sky effect this, but probably more so is the location of clubs.

But hey that's the way it is. I actually think that League fans are some of sports most loyal and am amazed by how well most matches and events are supported by what is, compared to football/union, a small fanbase.

WEEK 1 (4 matches)

WEEK 2 (2 matches)

RL in England is a regional game faced with massive competition from the top soccer league in the world.

RL in Australia is a more national primary competition.

But you are comparing the two.

You really are too smart to miss that PS.

But hey that's the way it is. I actually think that League fans are some of sports most loyal and am amazed by how well most matches and events are supported by what is, compared to football/union, a small fanbase.

Sorry - you made the point first.

Shall we point out how greater SL crowds are against the French "Elite" league?

Come on PS wave the white flag mate!

Unfortunately this is a valid point - look at last night with a gate of 8050 with an excellent turnout by Huddersfield, so there's a lot of Warrington supporters gone missing. I suspect that it's to do with the economy as people are waking up to the fact that come the turn of the year they could be in fairly deep financial do-do. For instance workers in the public sector (at least half the workforce in the heartlands of the game) who aren't looking at losing their jobs have a two year pay freeze and possible large increase in pension contributions (which means an actual pay cut) to factor into their budgets.

A lot of it has to do with the play off games not being included in the season ticket, many UK fans simply decide that they could not afford to go to 'extra' tag on games at the season end.

Plus the play offs aint really that big of a deal in SL compared to the NRL. The whole hype around the finals series in Australia is massive but in the UK its still not captured the hearts of many in the game. Its only yhe Grand Final that packs in the punters in both hemispheres.

WEEK 1 (4 matches)

WEEK 2 (2 matches)

The Aussies don't have a recession. The Australian economy is booming.

But why did the English average decline in the second (knockout round) week when the NRL average went up?

How does this compare with last year or previous years? The best recent comparison year would be 2007 when both economies were booming.

Surely its the European SL that you should be asking questions of, and not just the "English".

a sort of related point- i can't believe that the play offs aren't covered by season tickets. i am sure that has an effect on the crowd sizes. if i paid for a season ticket, i'd want to be able to watch all my teams home games, and i certainly wouldn't be forking out another 100 quid to watch the play offs.

Surely its the European SL that you should be asking questions of, and not just the "English".

That's pointless mate, all the teams involved are English, and heartland teams at that. The situation in the play-offs is very similar to the one in the cup; people aren't bothered about the rounds but turn out for the big finals. It's hardly anything new though, is it?

Edited by Bulliac

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Because the camera work is so good, we watch it at home. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with the fact that season tickets don't cover Play-off games and most of you are too tight sorry, short of money, to actually pay to gain entrance to see your clubs?

a sort of related point- i can't believe that the play offs aren't covered by season tickets. i am sure that has an effect on the crowd sizes. if i paid for a season ticket, i'd want to be able to watch all my teams home games, and i certainly wouldn't be forking out another 100 quid to watch the play offs.

case in point

Edited by Bleep1673

Nothing to do with the fact that season tickets don't cover Play-off games and most of you are too tight sorry, short of money, to actually pay to gain entrance to see your clubs?

case in point

That isn't really the point though is it? The play-offs were intended to create interest and give Sky extra games for their investment. There is little point in berating people who don't want/can't afford to attend matches, because they have a right to choose. More to the point would be what to do about it.

Edited by Bulliac

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

I don't honestly know why posters are perpetuating this discussion. It is utterly pointless, just like the original poster.

Different demographics, different media profiles, and lots of other things, mean that it is just plain stupid to compare attendances at games 10000 miles apart.

The sad thing is that the poster knows this, as he does every time he starts such a pointless thread, yet he continues to get away with it.

The sad thing is that the poster knows this, as he does every time he starts such a pointless thread, yet he continues to get away with it.

I'm sure Paris & Lobby are having some sort of competition about who can start the most repetitive & pointless threads.

Every week Lobby starts one of the following:-

Leight should be in SL because......

Promotiion should be re-introduced because........

I hate Saints / Bradford because.......

While Paris starts a thread about how wonderful the ausssies / NRL is compared to SL and how much he orgasms over them every night

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

for gods sake what the hell have crowds got to do with anything, our games have been 10 times more entertaining than theirs, and for me that is all that matters, GET A LIFE.

That is silly, the standard and entertainment value of the NRL is far ahead of SL and 2010 has been a poor SL season overall as the salary cap now takes full effect. The play off games have been a very poor standard with teams struggling to pass the ball at times. The number of memorable games in 2010 probably total between a half dozen and a dozen. We had more in previous seasons.

Perhaps we (SL) need to take a good look at our game in terms of the timing of the season (summer rugby this weekend?) franchising, the salary cap etc.

Edited by Allan Marsden

I don't honestly know why posters are perpetuating this discussion. It is utterly pointless, just like the original poster.

Different demographics, different media profiles, and lots of other things, mean that it is just plain stupid to compare attendances at games 10000 miles apart.

I know it goes against the grain on here but i think the OP is correct and the point is very worthy of discussion....

The play-off games, mean more, are more intense and of a higher standard and yet draw much less than the regular season.., yet the opposite is true in the NRL..surely we should be at least having a look at the possible reasons..., clubs are missing out on literally hundreds of thousands of pounds of income...

The demographics favour us, the media profile does not.

I know it goes against the grain on here but i think the OP is correct and the point is very worthy of discussion....

The play-off games, mean more, are more intense and of a higher standard and yet draw much less than the regular season.., yet the opposite is true in the NRL..surely we should be at least having a look at the possible reasons..., clubs are missing out on literally hundreds of thousands of pounds of income...

Marty there is a clique on this forum that like to insult and try to bully any poster whilst making as many pointless posts as anybody here.

Marty there is a clique on this forum that like to insult and try to bully any poster whilst making as many pointless posts as anybody here.

And you would know all about that after 168 posts?

Your attempts to be controversial come across as inane and puerile.

How on Earth do the demographics favour us? Do you even know what it means?

If you can't contribute to a discussion, then try to stay out of it.

Edited by Hannibal

Sorry mate, but I don't see it that way.

Different races of people, different competitions, different upbringings, different motivations, etc, etc, etc.

You might as well compare it to attendances in the Stanley Cup competition.