Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League finals crowds are dire, especially compared to NRL

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't honestly know why posters are perpetuating this discussion. It is utterly pointless, just like the original poster.

Different demographics, different media profiles, and lots of other things, mean that it is just plain stupid to compare attendances at games 10000 miles apart.

The sad thing is that the poster knows this, as he does every time he starts such a pointless thread, yet he continues to get away with it.

I know it goes against the grain on here but i think the OP is correct and the point is very worthy of discussion....

The play-off games, mean more, are more intense and of a higher standard and yet draw much less than the regular season.., yet the opposite is true in the NRL..surely we should be at least having a look at the possible reasons..., clubs are missing out on literally hundreds of thousands of pounds of income...

#22 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't honestly know why posters are perpetuating this discussion. It is utterly pointless, just like the original poster.

Different demographics, different media profiles, and lots of other things, mean that it is just plain stupid to compare attendances at games 10000 miles apart.

The sad thing is that the poster knows this, as he does every time he starts such a pointless thread, yet he continues to get away with it.

The demographics favour us, the media profile does not.

#23 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Sep 19 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know it goes against the grain on here but i think the OP is correct and the point is very worthy of discussion....

The play-off games, mean more, are more intense and of a higher standard and yet draw much less than the regular season.., yet the opposite is true in the NRL..surely we should be at least having a look at the possible reasons..., clubs are missing out on literally hundreds of thousands of pounds of income...

Marty there is a clique on this forum that like to insult and try to bully any poster whilst making as many pointless posts as anybody here.

#24 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 19 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Marty there is a clique on this forum that like to insult and try to bully any poster whilst making as many pointless posts as anybody here.

And you would know all about that after 168 posts?

Your attempts to be controversial come across as inane and puerile.

How on Earth do the demographics favour us? Do you even know what it means?

If you can't contribute to a discussion, then try to stay out of it.

Edited by Hannibal, 19 September 2010 - 11:47 AM.

#25 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Marty Funkhouser @ Sep 19 2010, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry mate, but I don't see it that way.

Different races of people, different competitions, different upbringings, different motivations, etc, etc, etc.

You might as well compare it to attendances in the Stanley Cup competition.

#26 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

laugh.gif

#27 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Perhaps it is more sense to look at cumulative crowds rather than averages at least when comparing a 12team SL to a 14 team SL. Cannot compare SL with NRL due to the reasons already discussed. I would go as far to say that NRL crowds are actually #### if you add in the fact that it is the no. 1 sport.

SL crowd averages are poor perhaps because of the lack of P&R and more meaningless games for the bottom 3-6?

#28 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (CGD @ Sep 19 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Great contribution mate.

Well done, and thanks.

rolleyes.gif

#29 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 19 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
SL crowd averages are poor perhaps because of the lack of P&R and more meaningless games for the bottom 3-6?

Oh my God.

For the sake of your own sanity, why don't you change the record?

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (CGD @ Sep 19 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Ditto

laugh.gif

Edited by AndyCapp, 19 September 2010 - 12:16 PM.

#31 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 19 2010, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ditto

laugh.gif

Another magnificent contribution. You should be proud.

#32 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

no way has aus rugby been better than super league the number of blow out games in aus has been ridiculous this season teams have been putting 40 and 50 on their opponets regularly, also defenses don't seem as solid there have been a lot of high scoring games.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#33 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (my missus @ Sep 19 2010, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
no way has aus rugby been better than super league the number of blow out games in aus has been ridiculous this season teams have been putting 40 and 50 on their opponets regularly, also defenses don't seem as solid there have been a lot of high scoring games.

I have watched every game in the NRL in 2010 and wevery televised game of SL + Wigan games. Sorry but the standard is far higher in the NRL. I hate the fact it is but I refuse to pretend it is not. However, the bigger gulf is at schoolboy and Toyota/Academy level.

#34 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:30 PM

Great, so now have the answer why crowds are so much better.

The NRL is just awesome, and SL is just plain sh!te.

Can we now move on? Discussion about the NRL should be on the correct forum.

#35 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you would know all about that after 168 posts?

Your attempts to be controversial come across as inane and puerile.

How on Earth do the demographics favour us? Do you even know what it means?

I am educated to Postgraduate standard in Geography. Hence I think I understand demographics be it from the various uses and even demography.

Given the biggest % of Australian residents from overseas were born in the UK and that many Australians come from UK parents and that Australia does not benefit from the superior athletic genes of an Afro-Carribean population like the UK then I would argue that even taking into account other demographics then Australia has no advantage, some may say a disadvantage. You then look bluntly at 22 million v nearly 70 million aprox and even if we had a disadvantage demographically then we should still on sheer number overcome it. Do not use the ah but we have soccer argument because as a self confessed demographics expert Mr Hannibal (very stupid name BTW) a growing number of Australians come from footballing countries and Australia does well at many sports. Likewise demographics does not explain why Australia has been more successful than the U.K re tennis.

Personally, I think demographics is a poor excuse for failure. I mean in 1958 or 1962 the demographics of our players was far worse than it is now but the players / the country was the world leader in RL. Maybe the personal qualities of the population/players and coaching was better then in the UK then whereas now it is better in Australia.

Hey though what do I know compared to the great Hannibal.

I have been a member since 2006. I prefer quality over output whereas you clearly do not.

#36 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

They are two very different competitions.

The reality is that we do extremely well to get the numbers through the gates that we do, especially in comparison to the NRL. However as somebody has pointed out they do a relatively poor job.

The biggest difference between the two is season tickets and the NRL are only starting to wake up to this. Often in SL season tickets can make up to 2/3rds of the attendance. I'd be surprised if it was 1/3 in Australia and in some cases a lot less. As a result attendances fluctuate a great deal between big games and small games. South Sydney can get less than 10,000 but more than 30,000 for games. Compare this to Wigan who fluctuate between 12,000 and 20,000 or Wire who fluctuate between 8-14,000.

The NRL has a lot more floating fans and they have a history of attending the big games rather than going to all games. Take the NRL grand final, in Sydney a city of 3million people, 1 million might watch it on FTA TV. In the UK around the same number will watch the Challenge Cup final in a country of 65m people.

So when finals comes around more of these latent fans are likely to get on the bandwagon and go when they don't usually, whereas in the UK, a large number of our fans are ST holders who are being asked to pay for games that they have usually already paid for.

#37 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Sep 19 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The NRL has a lot more floating fans and they have a history of attending the big games rather than going to all games. Take the NRL grand final, in Sydney a city of 3million people, 1 million might watch it on FTA TV. In the UK around the same number will watch the Challenge Cup final in a country of 65m people.

Agreed, Fan Loyalty in the UK is greater than that in Australia where many consider themselves to be League Fans and will go to watch whoever is winning, which is not hard in a geographically compact place like Sydney.
By contrast, I think you will struggle in this country to find fans who have swopped allegiances between say St Helens, Wigan and Warrington. Granted most of us do favour a "second" team but that does not extend to much more than infrequent attendance and watching them on TV. By and large in the northern hemisphere you support a team and stick with them through thick and thin (or in my case thin and postively anorexic). sad.gif

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#38 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 370 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Sep 19 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry mate, but I don't see it that way.

Different races of people, different competitions, different upbringings, different motivations, etc, etc, etc.

You might as well compare it to attendances in the Stanley Cup competition.

Of course but the point re regular season v play off matches is surely worthy of investigation...

Why do Rugby League fans in Australia flock to play off games, whereas here more would watch a match with sometimes absolutely nothing at stake...??

#39 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 19 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been a member since 2006. I prefer quality over output whereas you clearly do not.

Quality over quantity and yet you're suggesting we have an advantage over the Aussies? They have something like 4 times more registered RL players than we do.

#40 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 19 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am educated to Postgraduate standard in Geography. Hence I think I understand demographics be it from the various uses and even demography.

Given the biggest % of Australian residents from overseas were born in the UK and that many Australians come from UK parents and that Australia does not benefit from the superior athletic genes of an Afro-Carribean population like the UK then I would argue that even taking into account other demographics then Australia has no advantage, some may say a disadvantage. You then look bluntly at 22 million v nearly 70 million aprox and even if we had a disadvantage demographically then we should still on sheer number overcome it. Do not use the ah but we have soccer argument because as a self confessed demographics expert Mr Hannibal (very stupid name BTW) a growing number of Australians come from footballing countries and Australia does well at many sports. Likewise demographics does not explain why Australia has been more successful than the U.K re tennis.

Personally, I think demographics is a poor excuse for failure. I mean in 1958 or 1962 the demographics of our players was far worse than it is now but the players / the country was the world leader in RL. Maybe the personal qualities of the population/players and coaching was better then in the UK then whereas now it is better in Australia.

Hey though what do I know compared to the great Hannibal.

Demographics is not the direct comparison of the total of one population over another.

Surely, as such a learned person, you should know that.

rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users