TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Super League finals crowds are dire, especially compared to NRL

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 23 2010, 06:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cannot imagine why my point doesn't stand. My point was that Reebok Stadium at Bolton would attract a lot more Huddersfield and neutral fans than Knowsley Road will. Those people would be happier at Bolton.

It wouldn't.

Other than the quality of the stadium, which won't be an issue after Saints move, why would a neutral prefer to go to the Reebok than Saints home ground. Why would a Huddersfield fan prefer to go to the Reebok rather than Saints?

That's me.  I'm done.

#62 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Sep 22 2010, 07:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stolen from another forum

2010 ESL (6 matches so far)

Total = 67370 (11228/match)

2009 ESL finals (First 6 matches)

Total = 42499 (7'083/match)

If anything.. The matches for the finals have increased.

They have increased by 24'871 Or 58.52%!!!

Solely down to the match ups Dally, i.e Hull Fc v Hull Kr, Wigan v Leeds and Sts V Wolves as opposed to Wakefield v Catalans ,Wigan v Cas and Sts V Giants...

The like for like attendances with regards the regular season have decreased however you wish to dress it up..

#63 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 23 2010, 04:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wouldn't.

Other than the quality of the stadium, which won't be an issue after Saints move, why would a neutral prefer to go to the Reebok than Saints home ground. Why would a Huddersfield fan prefer to go to the Reebok rather than Saints?

Because they won't feel they are such outsiders in a nonpartisan stadium.
Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#64 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 23 2010, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they won't feel they are such outsiders in a nonpartisan stadium.

I don't really think that anyone in rugby league would feel that way.

That's me.  I'm done.

#65 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 23 2010, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't really think that anyone in rugby league would feel that way.

I felt that way when I was attending the London Broncos match at Belle Vue a few years ago.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 23 September 2010 - 11:25 AM.

_____

#66 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:44 PM

The Super League crowd for this weekend improved a lot over last weekend, and slightly over the first weekend. However the NRL crowds jumped nesrly two and one half times over the previous weekend. Thus the finals crowd differential betweeen Super League and the NRL just got worse, and I mean really worse!

Finals Week 3:

SL: 13,510 13,693 Total: 27,603 Average: 13,602

NRL: 44,787 71,212 Total:115,999 Average: 58,000

Edited by ParisSurtout, 25 September 2010 - 08:52 PM.

_____

#67 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,714 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 25 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The finals crowd diferential betweeen Super League and the NRL just got worse, and I mean really worse!

Finals Week 3:

SL: 13,510 13,693 Total: 27,603 Average: 13,602

NRL: 44,787 71,212 Total:115,999 Average: 58,000

Wow, I'm totally shocked and never saw that coming.

You have no point, you are in essence, pointless.

#68 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

There is a point, but because it is so sharp you have not been able to grasp it, fearing being cut and bloodied.

The point is that the RFL should be worried about these crowd figures, because a lot of money is involved.

The gap in finals series crowds between SL and NRL is much greater than during the regular season.

The RFL should seriously reconsider some of the reforms of the finals series, such as have been suggested by myself and others on this thread.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 26 September 2010 - 06:45 AM.

_____

#69 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 25 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a point but you have not been able to grasp it.

The point is that the RFL should be worried about these crowd figures, because a lot of money is involved. The gap in finals series crowds between SL and NRL is much greater than during the regular season.

The RFL should seriously recoonsider some of the reforms of the finals series, such as have been suggested by myself and others on this thread.

Worried? Surely they should be pleased that the game is doing well over there. Would RL here really be better is the play-offs in Australia were gathering a few hundred.

The more significant stat is that Arsenal and Man U can each attract almost as many each week as rugby league as a whole in Europe.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#70 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Sep 25 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, I'm totally shocked and never saw that coming.

You have no point, you are in essence, pointless.

yeah its a shame the nrl is being used in this way to denigrate english RL.

most of the aussie nrl fans i know, who tend to be massive RL fans, want RL in england do do as well as it can.

this includes seeing the roos lose to nz, england or whoever

#71 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Sep 26 2010, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah its a shame the nrl is being used in this way to denigrate english RL.

most of the aussie nrl fans i know, who tend to be massive RL fans, want RL in england do do as well as it can.

this includes seeing the roos lose to nz, england or whoever

Pointing out a problem is not "denigrating" English RL, Walter.

We point out a problem in order to try and have it rectified, and thereby make English RL stronger.

_____

#72 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 26 2010, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pointing out a problem is not "denigrating" English RL, Walter.

We point out a problem in order to try and have it rectified, and thereby make English RL stronger.

keep trolling albert

#73 Bluenwhite

Bluenwhite

Coach

• Coach
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

Just to throw my sixpenny worth into the debate. Australia has a population of around 20 million with land area approaching 3 million square miles, and is the sixth largest country in the world with regard to land area. The United Kingdom on the other hand has a population of 70 million with land area approaching 94 thousand square miles. England having some 50 thousand square miles. Shear mathematics alone says that Australia is sixty times that of England, agreed a fair proportion of Oz is desert or outback.

When the Northern Union was formed in 1895, the United Kingdom was into its Industrial revolution with densely populated terraced housing to facilitate the peoples habitat. So building stadiums was and still is very limited. The very first prestigious Challenge Cup match was between Batley & St Helens with an attendance of 13,492 spectators. The fifty thousand barrier was not achieved until 1936 when Leeds played Warrington, some 39 years into the competition.

I think the Aussies commenced around 1908/09 and had oodles of land to build stadiums. Because one of Australia's popular sports is Aussie Rules, stadiums were built to house 30-60 thousand spectators. As always with the Aussies athleticism they have mastered the sport and the speed of their game is awesome, particularly around the ruck and play the balls. Spectators flock to see the greatest game on the planet and many stadiums are in excess of 20,000 capacity. Here in England, new stadiums being built in recent years (new Saints stadium approximately 18,000 capacity) have been built with limited funding and obviously catering for crowds of less than 20,000.

Primarily Rugby League takes a back seat to Soccer and Rugby Union. I have played Rugby League (at Junior levels) and also Rugby Union (one game). That was way back in the sixties.

I cannot get excited watching football, the game to me is so boring, whereas Rugby League is riveting and is far more athletic than 11 guys feigning injury through tackles. A classic statement for Rugby League was when Andy Farrell broke his nose and played the whole game.

The above is my view.

#74 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Bluenwhite @ Sep 26 2010, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to throw my sixpenny worth into the debate. Australia has a population of around 20 million with land area approaching 3 million square miles, and is the sixth largest country in the world with regard to land area. The United Kingdom on the other hand has a population of 70 million with land area approaching 94 thousand square miles. England having some 50 thousand square miles. Shear mathematics alone says that Australia is sixty times that of England.

When the Northern Union was formed in 1895, the United Kingdom was into its Industrial revolution with densely populated terraced housing to facilitate the peoples habitat. So building stadiums was and still is very limited. The very first prestigious Challenge Cup match was between Batley & St Helens with an attendance of 13,492 spectators. The fifty thousand barrier was not achieved until 1936 when Leeds played Warrington, some 39 years into the competition.

I think the Aussies commenced around 1908/09 and had oodles of land to build stadiums. Because one of Australia's popular sports is Aussie Rules, stadiums were built to house 30-60 thousand spectators. As always with the Aussies athleticism they have mastered the sport and the speed of their game is awesome, particularly around the ruck and play the balls. Spectators flock to see the greatest game on the planet and many stadiums are in excess of 20,000 capacity. Here in England, new stadiums being built in recent years (new Saints stadium approximately 18,000 capacity) have been built with limited funding and obviously catering for crowds of less than 20,000.

Primarily Rugby League takes a back seat to Soccer and Rugby Union. I have played Rugby League (at Junior levels) and also Rugby Union (one game). That was way back in the sixties.

I cannot get excited watching football, the game to me is so boring, whereas Rugby League is riveting and is far more athletic than 11 guys feigning injury through tackles. A classic statement for Rugby League was when Andy Farrell broke his nose and played the whole game.

The above is my view.

Australia national Sport is Cricket
Of the three big East coast States Australian Rules is only dominant in one State it is an also ran in NSW and QLD

#75 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

I still believe, in all honesty, that the RFL could do something to make the finals series attract more fans.

I don't expect 58,000 averages of two games, as happened this weekend in Australia. But I do think 25,000 is not an unreasonable goal for the future. And that would require locating the matches in bigger stadia like Reebok, and doing some serious promotion.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 26 September 2010 - 06:50 AM.

_____

#76 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 19 2010, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WEEK 1 (4 matches)

NRL Total: 92,605 Average: 23,151.5

SL Total: 48,187 Average: 12,046.75

WEEK 2 (2 matches)

NRL 26,476 23,459 Total: 49,935 Average: 24,967.5

SL 11,133 8,050 Total: 19,183 Average: 9,591.5

I expect that next week the contrast will be even worse.

Is the difference because of the recesssion in England?

The Aussies don't have a recession. The Australian economy is booming.

But why did the English average decline in the second (knockout round) week when the NRL average went up?

How does this compare with last year or previous years? The best recent comparison year would be 2007 when both economies were booming.

Unlike Oz RL is a minority sport in the football mad UK
Posted Image

#77 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

QUOTE (NEIL FOX IS GOD @ Sep 26 2010, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unlike Oz RL is a minority sport in the football mad UK

That is true.

But the games did not attract the regular season record equalling numbers that you would have expected for a sudden death penultimate game. Why did Knowsley Road not sellout? Perhaps the less affluent season ticket holders were absent, but that is bizarre for such an important match, which was known to be definitely the last for Knowsley Road.

I think that there is an economic factor influencing the home fans. But I also think that the lack of neutrality of the ground (and its poor condition) deterred many Huddersfield fans, and especially the "neutrals" from west of the Pennines, from going to Knowsley Road.

I would hope that come 2012 finals series games involving the likes of Wigan, Warrington and Salford but not St Helens, will be held at least at St Helens new ground even though I still prefer Reebok for its greater capacity. Similarly finals games involving any Lancashire or Cheshire clubs other than Salford could be held at Salford's new ground if Reebok is not chosen.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 26 September 2010 - 10:45 PM.

_____

#78 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:20 AM

Knowsley Road and Headingley not selling out is a worry, given the importance of the games. Headingley in particular - with about 3000 (sic) Wigan supporters there they had around 2000 fewer in the ground than the regular season average.

#79 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Chronicler of Chiswick @ Sep 27 2010, 05:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Knowsley Road and Headingley not selling out is a worry, given the importance of the games. Headingley in particular - with about 3000 (sic) Wigan supporters there they had around 2000 fewer in the ground than the regular season average.

That is the most telling point of the comparison.

It is not just that the NRL gets more fans to its finals series than SL, it is also that NRL gets more fans for its finals series than for the regular season, while SL gets less fans for its finals series than for the regular season.

The RFL should be extremely concerned. But is it?

_____

#80 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 27 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is the most telling point of the comparison.

It is not just that the NRL gets more fans to its finals series than SL, it is also that NRL gets more fans for its finals series than for the regular season, while SL gets less fans for its finals series than for the regular season.

The RFL should be extremely concerned. But is it?

Why should they be concerned??? surely the clubs should be??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users