TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Fev

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#21 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (Student Ram @ Sep 19 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In answer to Alan Marsden, although they are top in the Championship these things always tend to by cyclical and if there aren't further targets to achieve player retention and development tends to be cyclical and things slide back the other way after a few good seasons, e.g. Hunslet, Dewsbury, Leigh, Widnes Haven, over the last 10 years.

If I remember correctly didn't Fev apply in the last cycle of applications, so that when the time came this time they would be better informed of the criteria they needed to be achieving. It strikes me that they are moving things along very nicely at Fev with probably the main sticking points being ground development and potential crowds. The first is the same all the Calder clubs seem to be facing, and the second stems from the fact that Fev as a town really is pretty small with 2 other Pro RL clubs nearby.

In answer to Parky's point it's never appeared that they have anyone to bankroll them, but because of that it's taken a long time to get the on field things right which they've now done and it will take a long time to get the ground sorted, let alone be successful in SL. Perhaps though their primary aim is maybe to be able to displace one of Cas or Wakey (who are both similar in not having a big backer) or maybe both in this or the subsequent round of applications, and worry about the success bit after that?

I get the feeling that in SL now you either need to have a rich backer (Warrington (although I know they made a profit this year) Wigan of old, Hudds, HKR,) or be based in a large city where attendances and income from corporate sponsorship provide adequate revenue (Leeds, Hull). Not sure how Saints get all their money huh.gif
This is where the middle ground teams struggle as they are based in areas too small to generate large crowd income and the local companies that provide sponsorship opportunities are not "big" enough to pay big bucks. I also see this as being why the RFL's overall plan is that RL is less about the M62 Corridor and more about expansion in to bigger cities and markets, as thats where the money will be to keep the game going.

Anway, well done Fev and if they can somehow get the ends of the stadium developed Cas and Wakey should be very worried.

To say Fev are a small club is a bit of a myth to be honest, for sure the town is small but people outside dont realise the club pulls in passionate support from the towns Pontefract and knottingley as well as all the surrounding villages, this is why the club have the unique world record of having many crowds above the population. rovers arnt a small club and with a bit of success and a pro-active board the crowds will increase. As for the ground, well plans are well on the way the ground will be improved and capacity increased over the next few seasons, there is also plans to utilise the 18 acres of land the club owns. Rovers could be a very wealthy club with a decent fan base and a tidy modern ground that meets requirements in a few years and as for backers the club as a couple of backers mark Cambell and Andy Mcneil, watch out because Rovers the small village that as took on and beaten the giants of the game in years gone by are ready to do it again

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Not sure how Saints get all their money huh.gif

I take it you are not a geography or sociology student. Nor, unlike me, done extensive research watching
Alan Bleasdale dramas.

Being scousers they could reasonably be expected to steal half the budget and fiddle the rest from social security. Then there's the fee for "looking after" the cars of visiting spectators in a public carpark.
cool.gif wink.gif wink.gif biggrin.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Not sure how Saints get all their money huh.gif

I take it you are not a geography or sociology student. Nor, unlike me, done extensive research watching
Alan Bleasdale dramas.

Being scousers they could reasonably be expected to steal half the budget and fiddle the rest from social security. Then there's the fee for "looking after" the cars of visiting spectators in a public carpark.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#24 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 19 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alan Bleasdale dramas.

for a start, st helens has ###### all to do with liverpool, having a totally different culture and accent, just for you my ignorant yorkie of apparent welsh descent to be a scouser you have to be born in the old town area of liverpool which is roughly from the mersey to kensington. anyone born out side this area is a wait for it.........LACASTRIAN not just a liverpudlian because liverpudlians are also LACASTRIANS, that means the disricts of huyton, west derby, hunts cross, crosby etc etc etc are not historically in the town of liverpool and therefore are not scousers. now as for st helens the town has never and is still not associated in any way shape or form with liverpool, as for the slight of the "social security, i think that you will find that the city of bradford has more people claiming benefits per capita than st helens which is roughly the same size as bradford. so rather than trotting out the same old tired line about st heleners being scousers, please try researching your posts before making a complete ###### of yourself again in the future.................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#25 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 19 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
for a start, st helens has ###### all to do with liverpool, having a totally different culture and accent, just for you my ignorant yorkie of apparent welsh descent to be a scouser you have to be born in the old town area of liverpool which is roughly from the mersey to kensington. anyone born out side this area is a wait for it.........LACASTRIAN not just a liverpudlian because liverpudlians are also LACASTRIANS, that means the disricts of huyton, west derby, hunts cross, crosby etc etc etc are not historically in the town of liverpool and therefore are not scousers. now as for st helens the town has never and is still not associated in any way shape or form with liverpool, as for the slight of the "social security, i think that you will find that the city of bradford has more people claiming benefits per capita than st helens which is roughly the same size as bradford. so rather than trotting out the same old tired line about st heleners being scousers, please try researching your posts before making a complete ###### of yourself again in the future.................

And what exactly is a Lacastrian?

Or has some scouse git nicked the 'n' off your keyboard.....

#26 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 19 2010, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ha, ha you whooly backs have never had a sense humour and your as thik as pig shiiiite 1 good way to wind a wooly up is call hima scouser. Well done dummy hook line and sinker

#27 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Sep 19 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To say Fev are a small club is a bit of a myth to be honest, for sure the town is small but people outside dont realise the club pulls in passionate support from the towns Pontefract and knottingley as well as all the surrounding villages, this is why the club have the unique world record of having many crowds above the population. rovers arnt a small club and with a bit of success and a pro-active board the crowds will increase. As for the ground, well plans are well on the way the ground will be improved and capacity increased over the next few seasons, there is also plans to utilise the 18 acres of land the club owns. Rovers could be a very wealthy club with a decent fan base and a tidy modern ground that meets requirements in a few years and as for backers the club as a couple of backers mark Cambell and Andy Mcneil, watch out because Rovers the small village that as took on and beaten the giants of the game in years gone by are ready to do it again

Out of interest, what is the population of Featherstone and when did a crowd at PO Road exceed that? I don't think Featherstone will ever be invited to join SL.

#28 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:00 AM

Viking Warrior n Lowfield have it spot on.Only outside of Merseyside would anyone consider a Sintillener a Scouser and to a Scouser wer're forever as wooly backed as anyone from deepest Yorkshire and no surer wind up than to call us Scousers.
Given the outward spread of council housing since at least the 1930s it is pedantic not to consider the inhabitants of West Derby,Kirby,Huyton ,Halewood etc as anything other than Scousers.
When I was going to school in West Derby in the 1970s you'd occassionaly met a true "native" in their 70s or 80s who had a SW Lancashire accent but it was rare enough to be thought exceptional.

#29 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Sep 20 2010, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ha, ha you whooly backs have never had a sense humour and your as thik as pig shiiiite 1 good way to wind a wooly up is call hima scouser. Well done dummy hook line and sinker

If only everyone could be as erudite and well spoken as you most certainly are. I will obviously assume that you spelled "thick" and used "your" incorrectly as an attempt at supreme irony.

One question though, why have you used two versions of the word "wooly" in the same sentence?

#30 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,705 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Sep 19 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But surely those Players who had won Whitehaven promotion wouldn't have had to leave their jobs if they didn't want to would they ? No one would have forced them to sign a Super League contract. They could easily have said " no thanks, i'm happy as i am " and signed for Workington or another Club.

Of course once promoted the players could have left the club and gone elsewhere, but that's the point. They were a sucessful side and faced either a season in Superleague as professionals giving up valuabale jobs, or being broken up as a side. Hardly the sort of "prize" rhese lads wanted. Castleford on the other hand were eager for SL and the game was won very early on. Not my analysis but from a well respected poster from Cumbria.

#31 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (StevieM13 @ Sep 20 2010, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Out of interest, what is the population of Featherstone and when did a crowd at PO Road exceed that? I don't think Featherstone will ever be invited to join SL.

Fevs population is 14k
In 1958 we drew 17,531 V Saints in the cup, year before there was 15k against the same team and remember in those days away support was minimal, we topped it a couple of times in the 60s 15k v cas in 67 and also a couple of times in the 70s, once against Salford in the cup.
Featherstone probably will never be invited into super league you are correct but that is why the system is wrong

#32 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Sep 20 2010, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fevs population is 14k
In 1958 we drew 17,531 V Saints in the cup, year before there was 15k against the same team and remember in those days away support was minimal, we topped it a couple of times in the 60s 15k v cas in 67 and also a couple of times in the 70s, once against Salford in the cup.
Featherstone probably will never be invited into super league you are correct but that is why the system is wrong

I would guess that the Saints team of that era would have supporters cramming up the buses to follow them wherever they played. Cas is round the corner. Salford with Watkins, Fielding were a bit of a glamour club back then. Are attendances from nearly 40 years ago really relevant to this era?

#33 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Sep 20 2010, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

shouldn't you be tearing down goalposts or throwing lighters at players or damaging cars belonging to visiting fans.............thick vandalizing hull tw'at!!

Edited by Viking Warrior, 20 September 2010 - 10:05 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#34 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 20 2010, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shouldn't you be tearing down goalposts or throwing lighters at players or damaging cars belonging to visiting fans.............thick vandalizing hull tw'at!!

ha, ha shut up you scouse git

#35 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (StevieM13 @ Sep 20 2010, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would guess that the Saints team of that era would have supporters cramming up the buses to follow them wherever they played. Cas is round the corner. Salford with Watkins, Fielding were a bit of a glamour club back then. Are attendances from nearly 40 years ago really relevant to this era?

read the bloody thread i was answering a question, busses crammed in 58, i doubt it and it says in the history book saints never sold all there tickets, salford were a glamour club hence the big crowd of eager home fans, and the game was the 1st to ever be advertised on TV

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE (LOWFIELD @ Sep 20 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ha, ha shut up you scouse git

licolnshire wazzock......

#37 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,753 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (TheDuke @ Sep 19 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most importantly they are currently the best team in their division

i genuinley feel for widnes as the were dicked, but sentiment doesnt make a good franchise bid. i feel they are lasking in their division badly, only being average this season

You clearly don't understand how franchising works if you make such simplistic comments.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#38 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

I don't usually post on this forum because I don't agree with a lot that is posted but because this is Grand Final week I am making an exception.

I don't for one minute expect Fev to ever have a chance of winning Super League but as a supporter all I ask is a fair opportunity to compete against the best.

I did not grow up loving the game because I thought we were going to win the League. I enjoyed it because when we took on the likes of Wigan, Leeds and St Helens at Post Office Road we always had a chance of winning. The atmosphere was so special and we had some great days.

I might get accused of living in the past but we are a club just as big as some clubs already in the Super League.

I would of course be delighted if Fev ever got a franchise but I would be more happy if the RFL would remove the unfair Franchise rule altogether and allowed promotion and relegation again.

"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#39 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Ian (Pencil) Elliott @ Sep 20 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't usually post on this forum because I don't agree with a lot that is posted but because this is Grand Final week I am making an exception.

I don't for one minute expect Fev to ever have a chance of winning Super League but as a supporter all I ask is a fair opportunity to compete against the best.

I did not grow up loving the game because I thought we were going to win the League. I enjoyed it because when we took on the likes of Wigan, Leeds and St Helens at Post Office Road we always had a chance of winning. The atmosphere was so special and we had some great days.

I might get accused of living in the past but we are a club just as big as some clubs already in the Super League.

I would of course be delighted if Fev ever got a franchise but I would be more happy if the RFL would remove the unfair Franchise rule altogether and allowed promotion and relegation again.

Almost everyone top to bottom in the championship feels the same. Long term, franchising will kill the game down here.

#40 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (TheDuke @ Sep 19 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are Fev the best placed team to come into the next round of franchising,

they are solvent

they have theyre own ground and plans afoot for development

they have decent youth development

they have a good coach

most importantly they are currently the best team in their division

i genuinley feel for widnes as the were dicked, but sentiment doesnt make a good franchise bid. i feel they are lasking in their division badly, only being average this season

So have in mind that fev don't have the ground or the Averaqe attandance then really you should be in agreement that Fax should be in line, Last year grand final, this year grand final, 2008 finished 3rd, 2007 finished 2nd. we have a tick box for attendance and for the ground that was completed earlier this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users