• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Sep 19 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RL clubs should scrap the poor logos and badges, kick into touch the awful animal monikers, and rebrand to a more traditional but modern look. which would be much more appealing, imo.

The name Rochdale Hornets was eastablished in 1871. A condition attached to the foundation of the new club was that we retained the Hornets name. The founders of the original club got there long before superleague.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#22 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

http://www.huddersfi...tales/index.htm

With regard to the wild boar, the head of which forms part of the crest, we are indebted to a certain James Hartley, a schoolmaster, whose school was situated near the bottom of Kirgate two centuries ago, and who translated from ancient documents the following account :
"A ravenous boar of a most enormous size, haunted a certain place called the Cliffe wood, and at times very much infested the town (Bradford) and the neighbouring inhabitants thereof, so that a reward was offered by the government to any person or persons who would bring the head of this boar, which much excited some to attempt it.

Now the story runs thus, That this boar frequented a certain wood to drink, which to this day is called the 'Boar's Well,' that he was watched by a certain person who shot him dead there, took his tongue out of his head and immediately repaired to court to claim the promised reward.

Presently, after his departure from the well, another person came thither upon the same intention and, finding the beast dead, without any further examination, cuts off his head and away he hastes towards the same place, and in expectation of the reward as the former, and there arrives before him.

Being introduced to his majesty's presence, the head was examined but was found without a tongue, concerning which the man was interrogated could give no satisfactory account. Whilst this was held in suspense the other man was introduced with the tongue, claimed the promised reward and unfolded the riddle by informing his Majesty how and by what means he killed the beast, and thus received the following grant :
A certain place or portion of land lying at great Horton known as Hunt Yard and for the tenure of which he and his heirs for ever should annually attend in the market place at Bradford, on St. Martin's day, in the forenoon and there, by the name of the heir of Rushworth, hold a dog of the hunting kind whilst three blasts were blown on a gelder's horn, and these words, 'Come heir of Rushworth, etc.,' expressed aloud.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#23 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Hornetto @ Sep 19 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Bramley Buffaloes or Batley Bulldogs - or do you really not know the difference?
2. When the new Rochdale Hornets was founded in 2009, we wanted a new, more accessible identity. As the name had been around since 1871, we thought it was time to put a Hornet on the badge. It couldn't really be better designed: I commissioned Roses winning designer (the Roses are the advertising and design industry awards) Ben Gerrard to produce our badge. His brief was to hit the middle ground between our old Nest Egg logo and the logos of the NRL (he had all NRL logos as reference) and his design - after a couple of tweaks was/is bang on brief. It works on everything from polo shirts and tracky tops to draw tickets and stationery and was designed specifically to do so.
3. The NRL logos you mention are all great examples of sporting graphics (did you even notice that the comb on the head of the Sydney Rooster is the outline of the Sydney Opera House?)
4. Despite my love of the Rabbitohs (and their very, very traditional badge), the Penrith Panther is quite, quite fantastic.
4. Newcastle Knights or York City Knights - or do you really not know the difference?

Bramley and Batley aren't the same place?? (I bet Batley folk would hate being mistaken for coming from Leeds. laugh.gif ) I made a mistake I meant Batley Bulldogs but the Bramley Buffalos badge isn't much better.

Yeah, Newcastle Knights not York City Knights.

It's personal opinion dude. I just personally don't think the design of your angry cartoon Hornet is all that great. I'd prefer it if it was a little bit like London Wasps. Simplistic but a good looking design.

Edited by HappyDave, 19 September 2010 - 11:15 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#24 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Sep 19 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What else would Featherstone have? A Hull KR badge with a big no symbol?

Whippet wearing a flat cap and smoking a pipe, what else?

Cummins Out.

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Sep 20 2010, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whippet wearing a flat cap and smoking a pipe, what else?

And no way would it be smiling. Humour's for yon Cas idiots.

wink.gif biggrin.gif

#26 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

I bet if a team from the Yorkshire counties had a whippet in their badge it would look like a stocky greyhound. biggrin.gif

Edited by HappyDave, 20 September 2010 - 10:25 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#27 timhammonds

timhammonds
  • Coach
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:42 AM

My first ever 'post' and already I'm going to sound like a dinosaur,
Town /City coat of arms style badges for me, traditional names and shirt designs too!
i.e. Bradford Northern with the 'Boars Head' crest and white shirt with horizontal red,yellow and black
bands across the chest.

#28 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Sep 19 2010, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halifax failed as the blue sox, (couldn't even spell socks right on the badge)

It failed because it was a god awfull idea! I wouldnt put the guy who came up with it in charge of a pair of scissors let alone a club. Wonder what did happen to him....

#29 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Sep 20 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It failed because it was a god awfull idea! I wouldnt put the guy who came up with it in charge of a pair of scissor...

laugh.gif

As I said in the first post in this thread; I think the big 'HALIFAX' underneath their current badge looks like it came straight out of the NHL. Really OTT.

#30 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Sep 20 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It failed because it was a god awfull idea! I wouldnt put the guy who came up with it in charge of a pair of scissors let alone a club. Wonder what did happen to him....

Why would anyone ever identify themselves by the socks they are wearing anyway? That's the point I don't get.

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

I hate them all apart from the ones prior to 1995

they're all a load of old khazi

Get the original crests, get shut of the muppety nicknames and get back to the likes of XXXX Rugby, i.e. Wigan Rugby, Leigh Rugby, Leeds Rugby etc

#32 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 20 2010, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And no way would it be smiling. Humour's for yon Cas idiots.

wink.gif biggrin.gif

w*nker!!

wink.gif

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#33 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Sep 20 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would anyone ever identify themselves by the socks they are wearing anyway? That's the point I don't get.

He looked at MLB teams like Boston Red Sox and thought he was onto a winner. The club even did a poll in the local paper for the nicknames - Blue Sox wasnt even listed at the time.

#34 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

The original marketing idea for Halifax was 'Bombers'. If I recall, the club was even listed in League Express as such for a few weeks.
Then some shrewd chap thought that synergising the X in Halifax and Sox just might attract sponsorship from Halifax ('Get a little Xtra help, dee dee dah dah dah, from the Halifax') Building Society as it then was.
It didnt and the name didnt either

#35 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:42 PM

Halifax dropped the Bomber tag due to connection with the war. Can't see anyone complaining about Vikings and the like!! laugh.gif

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#36 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 20 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Halifax dropped the Bomber tag due to connection with the war.

The First Gulf War finished in 1991 (Scarborough rock band Little Angels dropped their proposed album title of 'Bomber' then, thought a bit tasteless), but the RL club rebrands didnt happen till 1996

#37 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (T Dub @ Sep 20 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The First Gulf War finished in 1991 (Scarborough rock band Little Angels dropped their proposed album title of 'Bomber' then, thought a bit tasteless), but the RL club rebrands didnt happen till 1996

Indeed. mellow.gif huh.gif There were discrepances in The Halifax Evening Courier allegedly. It;s like asking the B-52's band to change name. You could have had Barry the Bomber as Mascot!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#38 raiders4sl

raiders4sl
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:59 PM

I remember at the time reading (somewhere) that Halifax were going to use "Bombers" as a name, but dropped it because at that time Super League was touted as being "European" with plans to have (possibly) German teams in it, and they didn't want to upset any Germans.

No idea if this is true or not.

#39 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Since when was Halifax anything to do with Lancaster? biggrin.gif

#40 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,645 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Sep 21 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since when was Halifax anything to do with Lancaster? biggrin.gif

Lancaster was next on the list after Dresden.
biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users