Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Rugby League afford another Leeds v Saints Grand Final?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

Personally I think we are gonna get a 4th Grand Final on the bounce between Saints and Leeds.

Saints will just have too much class for Hudds and Wigan will probably bottle it again against Leeds I think.

If this happens I think RL will be the loser, we desperately need a fresh team in the final to help keep the event interesting.

It pains me to say it but I will be rooting for the Pie Eaters on Saturday to beat Leeds. A Saints v Wigan final would be a great final, the two derby rivals and we would fill OT to the rafters.

Another re-run of Saints and Leeds doesn't interest me.

#2 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

What a surprise this thread is, Wire get knocked out?

My only shock was i expected it last night

Old Trafford will sell out no matter whose there

I hope its us and Leeds personally but cant see it.

Any combination of the 4 left will be a cracking game

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#3 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,702 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think we are gonna get a 4th Grand Final on the bounce between Saints and Leeds.

Saints will just have too much class for Hudds and Wigan will probably bottle it again against Leeds I think.

If this happens I think RL will be the loser, we desperately need a fresh team in the final to help keep the event interesting.

It pains me to say it but I will be rooting for the Pie Eaters on Saturday to beat Leeds. A Saints v Wigan final would be a great final, the two derby rivals and we would fill OT to the rafters.

We do definitely need a new final.

I'd watch Wigan-Saints because I'd be interested in who won.

I'd watch Saints-Leeds out of loyalty to RL.

#4 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

You're out.

Get over it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#5 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Sep 19 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You not bothering if Hudds make it then?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#6 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:27 PM

I reckon it will be Wigan v Hudds. Both want it more.

Good job Wigan have got plenty of fans, because Hudds wont take many.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#7 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:31 PM

If it is Saints v Leeds again I won't be going, I won't be watching on TV and I won't even be interested in the result.

Please, please, please Let at least one out of Wigan and Huddy make the final, preferably both.

#8 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Sep 19 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be tempted to go to Old Trafford as a neutral to watch Wigan v Saints, but no way will I bother if its another Saints v Leeds final.

Like the NRL they rarely get teams reaching back to back finals and always have a new face every season it seems.

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:44 PM

Can Rugby League afford another Leeds v Saints Grand Final?
I'm pretty sure;

the NRL Grand Final the following day will still take place,
my pledge for the Bulls will still count,
England will still take a squad Down Under to take on Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea,
little kids will still get games called off and play in freezing conditions over the winter
the star-crossed lovers of Kenny and Mick will keep ignoring the obvious
and you will keep starting threads about your beloved club, whether we want them or not.

The Greatest Game will deal with the apocalyptic size hammer blow of a St Helens vs Leeds Grand Final.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,023 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be tempted to go to Old Trafford as a neutral to watch Wigan v Saints, but no way will I bother if its another Saints v Leeds final.

Like the NRL they rarely get teams reaching back to back finals and always have a new face every season it seems.

But one team getting there on 3 or 4 consecutive occasions is alright though? See Melbourne and Roosters.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it is Saints v Leeds again I won't be going, I won't be watching on TV and I won't even be interested in the result.

Please, please, please Let at least one out of Wigan and Huddy make the final, preferably both.

The most original "Wigan Walk" I ever witnessed.

#12 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Simon Templar @ Sep 19 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The most original "Wigan Walk" I ever witnessed.

No mate, that was the time we put 60-odd on you lot at Knowsley Road and you Scousers were creeping out after 35 minutes - you really showed us how the Wigan walk should be done, that night.

If it is Saints v Leeds again, I don't think I'll be alone in giving it the cold shoulder.

#13 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 09:59 PM

Saints fans want to go back and win. It's the end of an era for the current Saints side on and off the pitch. Leeds want to go back and keep their amazing run going. What's the problem?

#14 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (StevieM13 @ Sep 19 2010, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints fans want to go back and win. It's the end of an era for the current Saints side on and off the pitch. Leeds want to go back and keep their amazing run going. What's the problem?

It's boring - people like a change.

#15 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

If it happens then so be it. Only those jealous and spiteful complain when a team / teams dominate for a number of season yet it is often good for the sport and can drive standards within that sport upwards. If Wire won a 3rd successive CC in 2011 would that be a bad thing? a 4th in 2012? No IMO If Leeds win a 4th GF would that be bad? No.

Wigan winning 8 CCs / St George winning 11? GFs in a row Barca / Real dominating Spanish football year after year, Man U / Chelsea / Arsenal dominating the Premier League. You could go on and on. Never has it been proven to damage any sport other than in the tiny heads of the bitter and twisted who would be jealous of anybody / anything.

#16 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree its not that I don't like watching Leeds v Saints matches which are often quite tasty affairs. But it's like when Wigan went to Wembley 8 years on the bounce or so, it killed the interest in that competition.

#17 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 19 2010, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it happens then so be it. Only those jealous and spiteful complain when a team / teams dominate for a number of season yet it is often good for the sport and can drive standards within that sport upwards. If Wire won a 3rd successive CC in 2011 would that be a bad thing? a 4th in 2012? No IMO If Leeds win a 4th GF would that be bad? No.

Wigan winning 8 CCs / St George winning 11? GFs in a row Barca / Real dominating Spanish football year after year, Man U / Chelsea / Arsenal dominating the Premier League. You could go on and on. Never has it been proven to damage any sport other than in the tiny heads of the bitter and twisted who would be jealous of anybody / anything.

I'm talking about this for the good of the game and the SL as a competition. If Wire did do a 'Wigan' and win the cup every year for nearly a decade it would become boring and I bet many Wire fans would not go every year and as a result the event would suffer.

Part of a reason I hate the Premiership is its's predictable nature, you know theres only 2 teams who can win it every year, its boring.

#18 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

I'd rather it wasn't a Saints v Leeds final but it will hardly be a disaster if that who I end up watching. RL will survive for sure.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#19 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wel,l Wigan and Huddersfield are in a position to do something about it.

#20 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking about this for the good of the game and the SL as a competition. If Wire did do a 'Wigan' and win the cup every year for nearly a decade it would become boring and I bet many Wire fans would not go every year and as a result the event would suffer.

Part of a reason I hate the Premiership is its's predictable nature, you know theres only 2 teams who can win it every year, its boring.

The Grand Final has, with the exception of one year, been won by a top two finishing side. Should it be three strikes and out, or two? What have the last three SL Grand Final crowds been?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users