Photo
- - - - -

Can Rugby League afford another Leeds v Saints Grand Final?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

just wont happen................saints v wigan this year.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

118 Got my tickets (to the Final). cool.gif
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#23 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 11:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm talking about this for the good of the game and the SL as a competition. If Wire did do a 'Wigan' and win the cup every year for nearly a decade it would become boring and I bet many Wire fans would not go every year and as a result the event would suffer.

Part of a reason I hate the Premiership is its's predictable nature, you know theres only 2 teams who can win it every year, its boring.

This for the good of the game / SL competition nonsense is just that NONSENSE and routinely spouted by fans who are jealous of success obtained by others.

RFL fans are often told please swallow this its for the good of the game be it salary cap, be it franchising. You see all these things were / are supposedly for the good of the game. Hilarously, the people who then spout such nonsensical rhetoric then say ah but denying clubs automatic promotion is for the good of the game.

You hate football full stop BUT that boring, predictable competition is more successful than ever. Odd that isn't it. Youir rhetoric makes you feel better but such self indulgent spite would be better told lying on a couch in front of a psychologist.

Somebody show me where one team winning trophies on a regular basis has been bad for a sport / bad for RL and ALSO explain to me how all these great ideas that were for the good of the game, a panacea have seemingly made it even more predictable. Will Featherstone lift a CC trophy again? Sheffield?

#24 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

IT'S THE GRAND FINAL!

I will continue to attend. It doesn't matter who's playing, I'll be at Old Trafford every year.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#25 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's boring - people like a change.

Did you get bored watchi8n WIgan in the challenge cup in the 90's?

The game's still hare and unfortunately so are you
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,604 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:50 AM

Basingstoke getting to you? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#27 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

I'm not quite sure what the OP was inferring when he said RL will be the loser. If Leeds and St Helens prove to be the 2 strongest sides so be it. Surely it's up to the other clubs to get to that level. That is of course if they win this weekend. And surely real RL fans will watch the GF whoever is there.

To simply dismiss Huddersfield, as so many on here are doing, is grossly unfair. I also think Wigan will have learnt plenty from their defeat by Leeds, and if nothing else, they won't be playing at the DW. I don't think anyone can confidently predict the winners this week - unpredictability is something the play-offs have always been lacking.

#28 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Sep 20 2010, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Basingstoke getting to you? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

it's my keyboard!

smile.gif
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#29 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 20 2010, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Somebody show me where one team winning trophies on a regular basis has been bad for a sport

Not quite one team but I'd say Rangers / Celtic in Scotland is a good example. What a ###### league that is!!!

I too hope its not Saints-Leeds. I reckon Wigan-Saints or Wigan-Hudds would be good. I think Leeds may just be starting to run out of steam thru injuries etc. anyway, but if they do make then you have to day they have probably earnt it (I say probably due to McGuires cheating vs. Wigan!). Either way it will be a great occassion.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#30 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's boring - people like a change.

i disagree... it would be broing IMO if Leeds were just winning it year in year out but the fact that saints and leeds have this rivalry building of leeds beating saints every year in the grand final makes it interesting againl.. i would quite enjoy watching a leeds v saints grandfinal to see if saints can at last break the whoo do or if leeds can win again for 4 in a row which would be quite an amazing feet..

i can see why people would like something different and i would be more than happy for it to be different but i would not find a re run of hte last 3 boring.. unless the game actually was.. the idea certianly isnt it could be a right humdinger.. saints team at the end of their days and have lost the last 3 get a chance agains tthe team that beat them in all 3.. leeds have had a rubbish season if you include being humped in the cup final (getting there was great but the manner of defeat was shocking).. and will want to prove a point..

#31 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 19 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think we are gonna get a 4th Grand Final on the bounce between Saints and Leeds.

Saints will just have too much class for Hudds and Wigan will probably bottle it again against Leeds I think.

If this happens I think RL will be the loser, we desperately need a fresh team in the final to help keep the event interesting.

It pains me to say it but I will be rooting for the Pie Eaters on Saturday to beat Leeds. A Saints v Wigan final would be a great final, the two derby rivals and we would fill OT to the rafters.

Another re-run of Saints and Leeds doesn't interest me.
put your keyboard away for another season wendall.

#32 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

hes simply asking the question as to whehter another saints leeds final is good for the game, it a vaild point.

The fact is it does become stale watching the same sides year after year unless you support those sides. Why was the crowd 8/9000 down last year. I go every year and I really hope wigan get there against saints just because im a neutral (bradford aitn gonna get there for a long while again!)and the atmosphere will be fantastic.

Some people , quite rightly will go every year but its a fact that some will stay away if its the same two teams.

#33 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,836 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 19 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon it will be Wigan v Hudds. Both want it more.

Good job Wigan have got plenty of fans, because Hudds wont take many.

Sacrilege!

I'll have you know Huddersfield Giants have no flaws whatsoever, and any talk about their fans or lack of interest in the town is just bitterness from fans of other similarly poorly supported clubs.

I know that, because RFL big cheese Ralph 'Huddersfield-Sheffield' Rimmer told me.

Seriously, though, good luck to Hudds - I'll be cheering them on at the weekend. And that's a first!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#34 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

I'm with Wendall on this. Reinstate Wire. We don't need another boring final. Incidentally, I thought Wire were a bit boring themselves in the first half on Saturday. They spent too much time talking to each other under the posts for me.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#35 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:41 AM

I was going to start a similar thread.

I really want a Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors final!

Saints v Leeds would just be sleep.gif

#36 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

As someone said previously, Leeds possibly making it 4 (which would probably never be beaten) or Saints ending their hoodoo would be incredibly interesting.

Plus Leeds would be trying to be the first side to win it from 4th as well, after a tough year for them, and after losing in the Cup final.

As for the other two, you're either good enough to be there, or you're not, I don't think there's a bad scenario this Grand Final.

Last years wasn't as spicy as the top two had been the top two all season, and for the 2 years previous.

This year it's different.

And yes of course RL would survive, it's survived pretty much everything Union and the media can throw at it/ignore it.
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#37 davo99

davo99
  • Coach
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

Just to make it fair why don't we kick out this year's winners to give someone else a chance.

Wire have won the CC 2 years on the trot, they're barred from that for a few years

Wigan did rather well for quite a few years, let's ban them for 5 yrs

#38 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (davo99 @ Sep 20 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to make it fair why don't we kick out this year's winners to give someone else a chance.

Wire have won the CC 2 years on the trot, they're barred from that for a few years

Wigan did rather well for quite a few years, let's ban them for 5 yrs

and quins still wouldnt get in the 8.... but i like your thinking. cool.gif

#39 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:58 PM

Wendell does have a point but it's hardly a make or break situation.

I want anybody except for Saints-Leeds, it's been done to death. I've no problem with Leeds winning it again just not at Saints expense. I'd rather Huddersfield made it.

Super League GF crowds rose year on year but have dropped by nearly 10k after the last Saints-Leeds GF. There's much less interest as a neutral and I'm talking from personal experience.

#40 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Sep 19 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No mate, that was the time we put 60-odd on you lot at Knowsley Road and you Scousers were creeping out after 35 minutes - you really showed us how the Wigan walk should be done, that night.

If it is Saints v Leeds again, I don't think I'll be alone in giving it the cold shoulder.

We all stayed for the 75-0 though laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users