RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Maurice Lindsay article

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 22 2010, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst the Gregory incident was very poorly handled Lindsay dealt with many issues full on so your comment is totally unfounded.

So so wrong, read the book, read the bit about the letter early august and going back on his word.

ML is a total ###### house.

also tried to stop a Wigan / Wires match as he (Lindsay) wanted a Wigan / Leigh and complained to Mike that he was belittling Leigh.

ML is a total and utter 5h1thouse.....Get your red tinted glasses off and UNDERSTAND.

#22 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 22 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So so wrong, read the book, read the bit about the letter early august and going back on his word.

also tried to stop a Wigan / Wires match as he (Lindsay) wanted a Wigan / Leigh and complained to Mike that he was belittling Leigh.

ML is a total and utter 5h1thouse.....Get your red tinted glasses off and UNDERSTAND.

Perhaps you should take your Primose & Blue ones off.

Whelan / Lindsay dealt with Mike poorly. I have read the book too. Although remember this is one view only. Although it is a view I am prepared to believe.

Would Mike Greg have been able to continue as Wigan coach. Sadly No asnd that was a tragic loss because Wigan would have gone forward uber him BUT the reality is his health prevented him from coaching any longer. Should Wigan have offered him more assistance etc Yes.

Blackpool have a similar tragedy at the moment with Phil Parkinson.

Other than Mike Greg your description / your view is unfounded

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 22 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps you should take your Primose & Blue ones off.

Whelan / Lindsay dealt with Mike poorly. I have read the book too. Although remember this is one view only. Although it is a view I am prepared to believe.

Would Mike Greg have been able to continue as Wigan coach. Sadly No asnd that was a tragic loss because Wigan would have gone forward uber him BUT the reality is his health prevented him from coaching any longer. Should Wigan have offered him more assistance etc Yes.

Blackpool have a similar tragedy at the moment with Phil Parkinson.

Other than Mike Greg your description / your view is unfounded

Is it.

#24 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

Without Lindsay, your team would now be playing park rugby, so a "thank you" might be in order.

The game was going down the pan.

With Wigan, Lindsay showed what the word success" meant.

Wigan's 1985/1995 period of success coincided with the most competitive GB performances (and support) in recent years.

He was recognised and accepted by Aus as GBs most respected personality and power-broker.

Sure, he was difficult, dictatorial, egotistical, etc, but Churchill, Wellington, Napoleon etc were not easy people either. He didn't always do the right things, and he didn't always do them right, but he did far more right things than anyone else. What do they say, "you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs?

What rankles for many, and inspires jealousy in so many is that he was Wigan and he was successful. As we know, there are those that don't want the game to be successful lest they lose control.

No Lindsay, no Sky, no money, no game

#25 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 22 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which team do you follow and how did he do for your team?

Workington Town, took players who were coming to us and told them they had to play for Paris.

#26 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Sep 23 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With Wigan, Lindsay showed what the word success" meant.

You mean spend a load of money your club doesnt have on the premise of winning every trophy, and if you didnt win every trophy then you would be in real financial trouble meaning you had to sell your ground to Tesco`s? Yeah, what a genius.

#27 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Sep 23 2010, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What rankles for many, and inspires jealousy in so many is that he was Wigan and he was successful. As we know, there are those that don't want the game to be successful lest they lose control.

It's probably more to do with the way he ran the RFL as his own personal fiefdom.

That's me.  I'm done.

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (clement @ Sep 22 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like the bit where he's slagging off Capello and comparing himself to him because he was Great Britain manager down under.

He's an egotist for sure with all of the attendant weaknesses, including a selective memory. Wasn't his spell of tour management also the one that included sending half of the squad home before the NZ leg because of poor financial management?

ML actually did a lot of good for the game which was in really dire straits in the early 80's, but those who don't want to understand facts will always prefer bitter emotion.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 23 September 2010 - 01:27 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (dkw @ Sep 23 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You mean spend a load of money your club doesnt have on the premise of winning every trophy, and if you didnt win every trophy then you would be in real financial trouble meaning you had to sell your ground to Tesco`s? Yeah, what a genius.

So Jack Robinson had nothing to do with that? When did Lindsay leave the club?

In any case, who said he was a genius? Its an inconvenient truth but he just did more for the modern game than anyone else until Richard Lewis came along.

#30 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:13 PM

When Maurice Lindsay left Wigan they were massively in debt. It was over 1m and Phil Clarke has certainly said on Sky the club was close to going bankrupt.

When Maurice Lindsay left the RFL they were massively in debt - the number 2m springs to mind, but I could be wrong. The 2000 World Cup was a financial disaster. It has taken years for the RFL to get back on track financially.

The role of Maurice Lindsay in "securing" the Sky deal depends on whether you believe Maurice Lindsay's story. Other books tell a different story. Murdoch wanted a summer sport, quite what bargaining power Maurice Lindsay thought he had is up to Maurice Lindsay. Sky had no competition, RL had nowehere else to go.

Maurice Lindsay did not revolutionise RL, Sky did. I am sure whoever was in charge of the RFL at the time would have got a similar deal.

If you want to compare, I would say Rugby Union were way behind RL at club level pre-Sky and they have gone from crowds of hundreds to being able to get 60-70K in Twickenham for a club game. Now that's revolutionary.

Maurice Lindsay did have success, but he is a great self-publicist. There are two sides to every story and it does not make anyone "bitter and twisted" to maybe not agree with his views of his own self-importance.

#31 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Sep 23 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Jack Robinson had nothing to do with that? When did Lindsay leave the club?

In any case, who said he was a genius? Its an inconvenient truth but he just did more for the modern game than anyone else until Richard Lewis came along.

No he didnt, he did absolutely nothing for my club in the modern game at all. He may have done well for a few, and as Wakefield Ram says even that is disputable.

#32 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,077 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Wakefield Ram @ Sep 23 2010, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When Maurice Lindsay left Wigan they were massively in debt. It was over 1m and Phil Clarke has certainly said on Sky the club was close to going bankrupt.

The thing that put the biggest hole in the Wigan finances under Lindsay's tenure was the development of the Whitbread stand. Disgraceful, a club should trying to improve it's ground.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#33 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,710 posts

I think i'd have prefered Lewis over Lindsay to be the face of Skys rebuilding of RL, saying that, I still could have done a better job than them both.

Cummins Out.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Tell us again about Lindsay and Tesco.

I bet Wakefield wish they had Lindsay at the helm right now. They sure need a miracle worker.

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Sep 23 2010, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think i'd have prefered Lewis over Lindsay to be the face of Skys rebuilding of RL, saying that, I still could have done a better job than them both.

Now's you chance..it seems quite a few clubs might need you! smile.gif

Edited by JohnM, 23 September 2010 - 12:42 PM.

#36 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

I support Dewsbury, a financially well-run club, yes we're at the lower end of the Championship as our directors refuse to spend money we don't have.

And yes Wakefield are in a financial mess of their own making. But Maurice Lindsay would be in no position to preach about financial messes, given his track record.

Developing a ground is good when you can afford it. When it threatens the club's existence, it isn't.

And then he left the RFL with massive debts, so he clearly didn't learn.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 23 September 2010 - 12:51 PM.

#37 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

There are some on here who have an irrational dislikes of the guy because of how he looks, how he talks, etc. There are even some who resent his success.

I'm not taking issue with you in particular on this, but as a fair minded person with the greater good of the game as your motivation, you'll want to post the details of his disastrous financial record.

#38 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 22 2010, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yer daft bat! laugh.gif

#39 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

maurice lindsay was like ken arthurston, a monumental figure in RL.

he conned rupert murdoch into giving way more money for SL than they planned too, money that saved lots of clubs, including those not in SL.

also responsible for bringing in the cap.

in recent times lost touch with the RL player pool and signed many poor imports.

#40 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (dkw @ Sep 23 2010, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No he didnt, he did absolutely nothing for my club in the modern game at all. He may have done well for a few, and as Wakefield Ram says even that is disputable.

OML laugh.gif Jack Robinson deserves credit for being part of 4 Directors that created a resurgence in RL. Wigan RL led British RL kicking and screaming forwards from the Dark Ages. Unfortunately ML left, Jack Hilton and Tom Rathbone became too old and IIRC Hilton died leaving Robinson on his own and the subject of the Whitbread Stand disaster which NOBODY could have predicted and a bitter deud with Dave Whelan.

Jack Robinson muted a SL (In Open Rugby) long before it ever happened and ML/Wigan actually made RL newsworthy and far far more marketable. Events like the WCC were reborn via Lindsay. Any wealth / the survival of your club probably owes a debt to Lindsay / Wigan. Without Transfer fees paid for by Wigan, St Helens and Widnes would now not exist. Never stopped Saints fans screaming Judas at Connolly though rolleyes.gif

If 1 (ONE) club matters more to the prosperity of RL it is W I G A N

Don't be bitter and resentful, be THANKFUL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users