• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (JohnM @ Sep 24 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what? Churchill was kicked out by the post war electorate, just as the forum's fave party, Labour, has been. Does not mean to say they were never any good in the first place.

Funnily enough however you regard Churchill, one thing about him as PM is seldom pointed out. He never won the popular vote at a General Election. He was appointed in 1940, he lost in 1945, he lost again in 1950 and it was only due to the vagaries of the electoral system that he became PM again in 1951, his party polling considerably less votes than Labour.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#82 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:57 AM

The man who could probably throw some light on Maurice is saying nothing. Harry Gration left a good job at the Beeb to become PR Director at the RFL under Maurice - he lasted about 6 months IIRC. I reckon Harry's memoirs of those months would be worth reading. I'll not repeat my opinion of Lindsay again, I've posted it on here often enough.

#83 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,872 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

I am not a massive fan of Lindsay and understand why supporters of some clubs really don't like him, however, in the context of world events the bile that gets spouted about him from time to time is way over the top.

For all his faults, the man does get us publicity at a national level many others fail to and sings the praises of our sport at every opportunity, for that, I think we owe him some gratitude.

#84 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,122 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Segovia Carpet @ Sep 24 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was it something to his Antique business padge?

More to do with his antics that landed him on court.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#85 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,023 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Sep 25 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am not a massive fan of Lindsay and understand why supporters of some clubs really don't like him, however, in the context of world events the bile that gets spouted about him from time to time is way over the top.

For all his faults, the man does get us publicity at a national level many others fail to and sings the praises of our sport at every opportunity, for that, I think we owe him some gratitude.

Mo even use to make it in the London editions of the Nationals. whatever his fauts and he had them he was a great PR man for our game. as regards running the game give me Richard Lewis all the time.

#86 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,167 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (The Future is League @ Sep 26 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mo even use to make it in the London editions of the Nationals. whatever his fauts and he had them he was a great PR man for our game. as regards running the game give me Richard Lewis Bill Fallowfield laugh.gif all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users