Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

classic commentaries

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

remember this classic from ray french???

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#2 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 23 2010, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
remember this classic from ray french???

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

F'hooking brilliant!

Edited by tonyXIII, 23 September 2010 - 11:21 AM.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

Andy Currier on 101 great tries:

"Where's ee going"? Oh yes - ees in! Andy Currier, local lad from Widnes

TBH I loved Ray French commentary in the 80's. here's a few others off'top o'mi yed

"Just look at this lad go"
"Ees In"
"He cost twennnnnnnnnnnnty thousand pounds from XXX"
"Beats one man, beats two men, Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww an e beats another!, this is gonna be the try of the season"
"And might well those Humberside fans dance with delight"

#4 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:09 PM

Phil McKenzie = Legend

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,826 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Sep 23 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH I loved Ray French commentary in the 80's. here's a few others off'top o'mi yed

"Just look at this lad go"
"Ees In"
"He cost twennnnnnnnnnnnty thousand pounds from XXX"
"Beats one man, beats two men, Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww an e beats another!, this is gonna be the try of the season"
"And might well those Humberside fans dance with delight"

Not forgetting:
"Dear me, why do they carry the ball in one hand. I really do not know, tut tut..."
And, of course, mentioning a try-scorer's father and the amateur club he played for.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 Wigansnapper89

Wigansnapper89
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Heres offiah tryin to make some space................. Was 6 watchin this n still remember it

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

My Flickr site with all my Photography on it, New stuff added all the time

http://www.flickr.co...os/8882103@N05/

#7 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:41 PM

"and just look at the grin on that"
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#8 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:51 PM

"and he does a bit of a boogie" (2.20 mins in) plus the great Mike Gregory try (4.40min).
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#9 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

Eddie Waring's "Go, go, go!" from the 1972 World Cup final's probably my favourite bit of RL commentary
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#10 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,769 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

years ago in a cup semi i think "oo that gone very high oo he's catched it" biggrin.gif good old ray.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Wigansnapper89 @ Sep 23 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heres offiah tryin to make some space................. Was 6 watchin this n still remember it

that's ray at his best good stuff
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,235 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Sep 23 2010, 01:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"and he does a bit of a boogie" (2.20 mins in) plus the great Mike Gregory try (4.40min).

I'll never forget that game as long as I live.
I got my little lad out of bed in the early hours to watch it. Neither of us had much hope in our hearts and the stadium seemed almost deserted.
we were dancing round the living room by the end of the game. It signalled ther startt of a period when we could almost but not quite take a series from the Australians.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,456 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Sep 23 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll never forget that game as long as I live.
I got my little lad out of bed in the early hours to watch it. Neither of us had much hope in our hearts and the stadium seemed almost deserted.
we were dancing round the living room by the end of the game. It signalled ther startt of a period when we could almost but not quite take a series from the Australians.

Same here. I was off to York Races that day, so while everyone else on the coach at 8am was sleepy & bleary eyed I was buzzing from the win! Didn't stop me spending a couple of hours in a pub in York watching the afternoon replay though. biggrin.gif

It had been a long time between even a sniff of a win and that game.

#14 Simon Templar

Simon Templar
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Sep 23 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not forgetting:
"Dear me, why do they carry the ball in one hand. I really do not know, tut tut..."
And, of course, mentioning a try-scorer's father and the amateur club he played for.

What a total hypocrite he is then. Nobody carried the ball in one hand as much as our Raymond did in his playing days

#15 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Griff9of13 @ Sep 23 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same here. I was off to York Races that day, so while everyone else on the coach at 8am was sleepy & bleary eyed I was buzzing from the win! Didn't stop me spending a couple of hours in a pub in York watching the afternoon replay though. biggrin.gif

It had been a long time between even a sniff of a win and that game.

Yes it was a great day. I was there the last time we'd beaten them at Odsal in '78.
Kevin Ward really was an awesome forward. Even though he played for Cas (at the time) wink.gif Mike Gregory, what a player, difficult to believe he's no longer with us. Hanley in his pomp. Offiah and Henderson Gill. Hugh Wadell - some player Hughie.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#16 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

There's a great video that appears to have got lost on youtube. It's from 1992 I think where Martin Offiah makes another break but is eventually pushed into touch by ET. The Aussie commentator goes,

'Look at the speed of the man!'

Then says something about how he's never seen a winger as good in his life. Just love the way he says it.

#17 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

And (apart from the series in 2003 where we lost closely in 3 tests) we've never really been that close.
Reason for me - we had decent 3/4's and half backs that could do more than kick a bomb to the corner.

#18 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (shaun mc @ Sep 23 2010, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And (apart from the series in 2003 where we lost closely in 3 tests) we've never really been that close.
Reason for me - we had decent 3/4's and half backs that could do more than kick a bomb to the corner.

We were a heatbeat away in 1990. If the ref had seen Meninga's obstruction of Gibson we'd have won at Old Trafford in 1990 and with it the series.

#19 Jeffles

Jeffles
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

David Woods in last year's Cup Final.

"Forget the champagne stuff, this is real ale rugby league. Tough and uncompromising."

#20 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

There used to be a commnetator on Radio Leeds called Jack Wainwright, and I remember him saying "all these great Leeds moves are coming off John Homes's balls"
Sadly both are no longer with us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users