TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Sad news - Terry Newton

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:57 PM

A moderation request. PLEASE do not post threads about today's sad news until it has been confirmed that the family knows. Until I've been told by someone I trust that his family knows or see it on a mass-media news outlet then I'll simply delete your thread.

EDIT: Title edited to "Sad news - Terry Newton" from "Sad news"

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,153 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

As it's all over Twitter, including from Martyn Sadler, it's pointless keeping it quiet now. Please be sensitive with your posts, especially as to speculation on cause/reason.

RIP Terry Newton.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

RIP.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

I've sent you a pm about the twitter stuff, please pass it on the Martyn

RIP Terry, tragic tragic news, condolences to his family and friends

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#5 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Tragic news - RIP.

#6 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Sep 26 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As it's all over Twitter, including from Martyn Sadler, it's pointless keeping it quiet now. Please be sensitive with your posts, especially as to speculation on cause/reason.

RIP Terry Newton.

RIP Terry

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#7 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,881 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Horrible news, RIP.

#8 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Absolutely bloody heartbreaking news.

RIP Terry.

#9 Kickin Back

Kickin Back
  • Coach
  • 995 posts

Sad news, R.I.P.

Thoughts are with his friends and family.
Vince Lombardi
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."
"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005
Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.
Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...
http://vspx27.stanfo...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extre....php?s=&t=43780

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

Knocked me for six.

Gutted and a tragic lose of life for someone so young.

RIP

Thoughts to all

#11 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,422 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

RIP.
HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#12 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

He was a great player. Condolences to all concerned as we lose another member of the rugby league family too soon.

#13 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Sep 26 2010, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RIP Terry Newton.

Seconded - a sad way to start a week of celebration for the Wigan club. Difficult to find the right words at this time for a bloke that polarised opinion in the game, but for all his failings he was deeply passionate about RL and was a great servant to a number of clubs and that is how I will try to remember him.

Unfortunately, there is going to be some difficult decisions for the RFL and the Grand Finalists over whether the traditional marks of respect are appropriate for Saturday's game given his recent circumstances and his longer history with the opposition.

A sad day - condolences to his family and those that cared about him. RIP Terry.

Edited by giwildgo, 26 September 2010 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#14 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

This is absolutely awful news.

The guy played the game very hard and sometimes overstepped the mark but he was still a terrific player IMO.

Only 31 years of age. An appallingly tragic waste of a life.

RIP to him and utmost condolences to all his family and friends.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#15 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

Utterly mad and astoundingly tragic piece of news.

I couldn't believe he is the third most talked about topic over on Twitter at the moment in the space of half an hour. Maybe says something about the sheer shock of this news.

RIP Terry.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#16 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,348 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

Sad news, Terry was a fine rugby player and should be remembered as such.

The Newton family have now lost two members of their family at a very young age.

Condolences to Terry's family and friends.

R.I.P.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#17 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Sep 26 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, there is going to be some difficult decisions for the RFL and the Grand Finalists over whether the traditional marks of respect are appropriate for Saturday's game given his recent circumstances and his longer history with the opposition.

Sorry, but that's nonsense.

If the people in charge find the decision on whether or not to honour Terry's memory difficult, then we have the wrong people in charge.

He was a 31 year guy, who made some bad decisions in his life, many of us have done the same, but maybe not you.

#18 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

He made his mistakes but he was a rugby league man and this is incredibly sad for anyone to go so young let alone such a talented player of our game.

RIP Terry.

#19 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:28 PM

Sad and shocking news. Thoughts are with his family.

RIP
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#20 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:30 PM

Agree with his recent conduct or not, he made a positive contribution to the game and was a joy to watch. Thoughts are with all those who knew him at this terribly sad time.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users