Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sad news - Terry Newton

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#41 Wigansnapper89

Wigansnapper89
  • Coach
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (ArmchairRhino @ Sep 26 2010, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely sickening news. Condolences to Terry's friends and family.

sad.gif

My favourite rugby memory of Newton is a tackle made on Craig Wing from the full back position in the Tri Nations game at Wigan in 2004. What's he doing there?!

One of my favourite memories is seein him cryin his eyes out when we lost to Bradford in GF, showed how much it ment to him
" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

My Flickr site with all my Photography on it, New stuff added all the time

http://www.flickr.co...os/8882103@N05/

#42 Chairman M

Chairman M
  • Coach
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Sep 26 2010, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, there is going to be some difficult decisions for the RFL and the Grand Finalists over whether the traditional marks of respect are appropriate for Saturday's game given his recent circumstances and his longer history with the opposition.
Not difficult as far as I'm concerned. He should be honoured at the GF by either a minutes silence or a minutes applause.

I always enjoyed watching Terry play, although he used to wind me up rotten. Sign of a good player is that.

Tragic.

RIP, Terry.

Edited by Chairman M, 26 September 2010 - 04:22 PM.

Leicester Saint

#43 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (nec @ Sep 26 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Minutes applause please, it avoids the spectacle of late-comers, kids, drunks or worst of all the intentional a-holes breaking a silence. The guy, a GB international lest we forget, deserves a send-off in the biggest game.

Agree fully. RIP Terry. What a waste. Condolences to his family.

#44 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Sep 26 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the remark has been removed Steve, I'll pm you

Me too please Mags. Either here or on FB.

#45 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

Utterly shocking news. Still can't believe it.

RIP Terry. My thoughts are with his family.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#46 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,736 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

Dealt with the announcement quite well on Sky. Carney looks utterly shellshocked. They mentioned O'Connor was devastated - was he supposed to be there today? Missed the first match EDIT: He's on now, ignore me

Edited by Amber Avenger, 26 September 2010 - 04:33 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#47 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,003 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:30 PM

Very very sad news.

Great sympathy to his partner and family.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#48 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,795 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:34 PM

The last 20 minutes has probably been the saddest (in an emotionally sad way) piece of sports commentating I've ever seen. It's also very clear that neither side were told before kick-off, understandable but I bet they'll feel like rubbish tonight if they celebrate a try or win.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#49 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,068 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Sep 26 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last 20 minutes has probably been the saddest (in an emotionally sad way) piece of sports commentating I've ever seen. It's also very clear that neither side were told before kick-off, understandable but I bet they'll feel like rubbish tonight if they celebrate a try or win.

I thought Hemmings did a great job and Carney and Mac handled it very well, not an easy subject to handle live and with short notice.

Well done to the Sky team.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#50 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

sad and socking news.. RIP terry.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#51 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

Desperately tragic news.

RIP
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#52 GURNER

GURNER
  • Coach
  • 9,456 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Am stunned, my thoughts are with his family at this most terrible of times RIP Terry.
Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

#53 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Sep 26 2010, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Desperately tragic news.

RIP

I read this and then had to go to sporting life to make sure, as it seamed completely unreal. As a Saint (and one at that who would call Newton everything under the sun on the field of play) I would be very surprised if there was not a minutes silence for Terry Newton next week and black armbands all round.

The man was a giant for Wigan and just because the next game in the season is a final, I see no reason why his passing should not be honoured.

There is alot that can be said about the man, but first and foremost he was a RL player who deserves to be honoured the same as every RL player would be. Biographys and opinions can wait for a more appropriate occasion.

Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#54 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

[I'm not right good with words and I hope this post makes sense with the sympathy intended]

This sad news makes me want to read his book, if only to try and understand the man more and help out his family.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#55 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

Surreal. Watching the York Oldham game and was just thinking about Chris Percival and how many get taken from the RL world at a young age, then turn on the computer to find out Terry has gone too.

Most emotional I've felt about a RL player since Roy Powell's passing.

RIP and hope his family stay strong.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#56 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:08 PM

double post so thought I'd post a pic of him.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 26 September 2010 - 05:12 PM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#57 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Just heard about it now. Thought it was a rumour at first... RIP man.

#58 Middleton Bull

Middleton Bull
  • Coach
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

RIP Terry , God bless.

#59 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:24 PM

Never liked him as a player with his defensive attitude at times, but a good player with ball in hand

R I P
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#60 bachemash

bachemash
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

Sad, sad news.

RIP Terry
Prior to the festivities, Diana Dors lunched with the local vicar, during which she informed him that her real name was Diana Fluck. The vicar became somewhat worried about his planned speech. After lunch, they arrived at the fte at the appointed time. The vicar, totally unnerved about mispronouncing "Fluck", introduced Diana with these immortal words:

Ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I introduce to you our star guest. We all love her, especially as she is our local girl. I therefore feel it right to introduce her by her real name; Ladies and Gentlemen, please welcome the very lovely Miss Diana Clunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users