Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Giants kit for game against St Helens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The Partisan

The Partisan
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:30 AM

Apologies if this has been mentioned previously somewhere else - but was there a particular reason Huddersfield were not in there traditional colours for the game ?

Also what is the background / reason behind the last game at Knowsley Road ?

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

#2 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:30 AM

Huddersfield simply chose to play in their away kit.

Its the last game at Kowsley rd as the club have sold it to developers to fund the new stadium and those developers now want to build on it.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#3 Jangling_Jack

Jangling_Jack
  • Coach
  • 433 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (steef @ Sep 28 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huddersfield simply chose to play in their away kit.

Not true the RFL tell clubs which kits to play in. I can only assume someone in the RFL is colour blind and thought the home kit would clash with the referees lime green ensemble.

#4 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

The thing is the away kit is only a moneyspinner most of the time, a lot of the time clubs wear away kits when they are away even when there is no clash to give value for money for the fans that have forked out for them. I believe even if the RFL had said Hudds could wear their home shirt, you can request to wear the away one.

It can even happen the other way around - Bradford requested to wear their away kit at home a couple of years ago as they had hardly worn it away!
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#5 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Sep 29 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is the away kit is only a moneyspinner most of the time, a lot of the time clubs wear away kits when they are away even when there is no clash to give value for money for the fans that have forked out for them. I believe even if the RFL had said Hudds could wear their home shirt, you can request to wear the away one.

It can even happen the other way around - Bradford requested to wear their away kit at home a couple of years ago as they had hardly worn it away!

How are they a moneyspinner for clubs when they're usually in a different set of colours than the club's own ones? I'd have zero interest in buying a jersey in different colours, I think a variation of the club's colours would be far more appealing.

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Big Picture @ Sep 29 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How are they a moneyspinner for clubs when they're usually in a different set of colours than the club's own ones? I'd have zero interest in buying a jersey in different colours, I think a variation of the club's colours would be far more appealing.

Fair enough if you don't want to buy an away kit, it's your choice and nobody is forcing you. But it's rather illogical to assume that if you think it everyone else does! They are a moneyspinner for clubs regardless of if you like it or not purely by the fact that they keep being made and people keep buying them - otherwise clubs would have given up years ago.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (Big Picture @ Sep 29 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Look at the fans on the terraces. Plenty wear the away kits. They have paid. Question answered.

The last two shirts I have bought have been away shirts.

#8 Cruncher

Cruncher
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

Whist on the Away kit theme - why did both Halifax and Featherstone wear their away kits in Sundays Grand Final? blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users