The Golden Point

Trojan

I was disappointed that Fev lost. But it was the way they lost that left me feeling a bit empty. It was a great game, and Fev were never behind until they lost the game. Surely another way can be found. In fact why not a replay in future - there are no further fixtures, so where's the problem? Alternatively, a suggestion from the Fev site, 10 minutes for a golden try, and then the golden point.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I was disappointed that Fev lost. But it was the way they lost that left me feeling a bit empty. It was a great game, and Fev were never behind until they lost the game. Surely another way can be found. In fact why not a replay in future - there are no further fixtures, so where's the problem? Alternatively, a suggestion from the Fev site, 10 minutes for a golden try, and then the golden point.
I'd just play a set 10 minutes, and then Golden Point after that.

How does/would golden try work? I presume if you score a 2 or 1 pointer before the end of "Golden Try" that will eventually win the game at the end of that specific period presuming the scores aren't still drawn and a try isn't scored

What if in the extremely unlikely event you go ahead through penalties by more than 4/6 then the trailing team scores a try in that period? Do they automatically win? I know it matters little, but it's been bugging me all morning.

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

If the game HAS to be settled on the day then it has to be a golden try for me. Golden point just results in a drop goal competition. If the try isn't forthcoming then what about each team having to remove one player after a set period of time to create more space on the field and open up play?

rldfsignature.jpg

If the game HAS to be settled on the day then it has to be a golden try for me. Golden point just results in a drop goal competition. If the try isn't forthcoming then what about each team having to remove one player after a set period of time to create more space on the field and open up play?

Exactly! we broke away from that in 1895, just an empty feeling, sure its not for Halifax though.

Cummins Out.

Golden point doesnt really work. It was incredibly deflating on Sunday, although Im sure the fax fans enjoyed it.

It doesnt really even work in soccer and you can win the ball back immediately. I remember the Oliver Bierhoff goal in Euro 96 was just really disappointing as the game just ended.

Fans of timed games are used to the game being played against the clock so its a hard adjustment mentally and emotionally to go straight into a tennis style situation.

Hope it gets reviewed and maybe a replay is best bet.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The rules are the same for both sides. Unfortunately Fev let the lead slip and Halifax took advantage. Live with it!

Suppose it was only a matter of time :dry:

On a personal level I found it strangely easy to come to terms with. It was a great day out, nothing was at stake and it was a good game. I would have been more gutted had we lost the semi. I got over the final in a couple of hours which felt strange - thats the price/or benefit of no P&R I guess.

The point is its a weird way to end a game like rugby what with it being a territory based game, but fair enough.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Golden point leaves supporters of the losers very deflated - just ask any Halifax fan that was at Cas in the Challenge Cup last year!

A set period of extra time is preferable, then a replay IMO. An old fashioned attitude some might say, but fair.

And think of the gate receipts from the 100,000 plus that would turn up at Odsal to watch it...

The rules are the same for both sides. Unfortunately Fev let the lead slip and Halifax took advantage. Live with it!

We know all that. But a 10 minute period of play followed by perhaps the golden point would have been more satisfactory. TBH 'Fax were coming so strong in the last twenty I reckon they'd ahve won anyway. But it would have seemed more complete somehow.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I think that it should be a 'golden four points' - as in the first to score a try, but if it was a try and only a try then we would see too many penalties.

People called Romans they go the house

It should be the first to be 4 points clear.....and a minimum of 10 minutes played.

There's 10 types of people in the world...those who understand binary and those that don't

I think Golden Point is a fantastic & exciting/nerve-shredding way to finish a Play-off/Grand Final & I think all RL Finals should go to golden point rather than be replayed.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Suppose it was only a matter of time :dry:

The point is its a weird way to end a game like rugby what with it being a territory based game, but fair enough.

No, it's not a weird way, it's the rules. First team to go a point in front in extra times wins. Fax got into a position (the "territory") to be able to score the winning point and they did. Fev could have taken a short kick off and fought for possession of the ball and six tackles to score but they chose to kick it long and ultimately lost. There are four ways to score (OK, only three would count in golden point) and Fax chose the easiest option. Fev would have done the same if they'd had the chance.

RL could always have ten minutes each way and then golden point but where do you stop?

I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

No, it's not a weird way, it's the rules. First team to go a point in front in extra times wins. Fax got into a position (the "territory") to be able to score the winning point and they did. Fev could have taken a short kick off and fought for possession of the ball and six tackles to score but they chose to kick it long and ultimately lost. There are four ways to score (OK, only three would count in golden point) and Fax chose the easiest option. Fev would have done the same if they'd had the chance.

RL could always have ten minutes each way and then golden point but where do you stop?

Fev won the toss and chose to kick!

Clement Attlee.

To me, there is too much riding on the coin toss in a golden point. Unless you start to take the kick from further back, there is too much of an advantage. That's not to say things don't go against the general way however.

I'd choose a next try situation. Requires a bit more skill and is less reliant on field position.

Not really bothered if it's golden point or golden try as long as it is settled on the day. The players spend the whole season preparing for that one game, go through a hell of a lot in that final week and then the game itself. Its just not fair to ask them to do it again.

Also the idea that it's deflating at the end when someone does score doesn't hold for me. I've never seen 100,000+ people more deflated than after the end of AFL GF on Saturday. I only flicked on to it by accident and got watching because it was a tense second half and then couldn't believe it at the end when it just finished a draw. The whole stadium went from fever pitch to a sombre hush in a split second. The only people that were happy were the administrators licking their lips at the thought of another 100,000 sell out.

Edited by callig

golden point all the way. get it over with on the day. i used to love the idea of replays purely because i like watching sport, but the occasion is never the same.

I went to the 1982 CC replay between Hull and Widnes, it was a great night.

Clement Attlee.

Personally I always liked the ideas of the teams playing an extra 10 minutes each way, like Australia and NZ did in the 1995 World Cup Semi-Final. It could go to sudden death after that, but going to sudden death immediately seems wrong to me. At present it's theoretically possible a team could lose in the extra period without ever getting to play the ball, though I don't know if it's happened in the NRL yet.