TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Players who could/should have been great.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

There are quite a few that spring to mind but I'll set the ball rolling:

Mick Shaw - Yes THAT Mick Shaw that kept Jimmy Lowes out of the Leeds side of the mid 90's and contributed to Lowes joining the Bulls. He was a good little player but what happened???

Mick Nanyn - I enjoy watching Nanyn in the lower leagues but he has never cut the mustard at SL level. Stong, good goal kicker he could have achieved more.

Adam Hughes - Another head scratcher but I know he has been ridiculed in the past on here but when ever I saw him he was scoring 80m tries for fun.

Last for now - Karle Hammond - Thought he had it all at one stage, balance, deceptive pace, good passer but didn't he retire at 29? What did happen to him?

Will throw a few more in and some from the Bulls too.

Edited by Mumby Magic, 29 September 2010 - 11:03 AM.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#2 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:08 AM

Nigel Wright is the obvious one. Great talent, but biscuit legs.

There's been a few over the years who had the talent but not the attitude and never reached the heights they could have done. You'd have to include Lee Briers in that.

I always thought Simon Reynolds, the Huddersfield winger, could have achieved a lot more. Not sure what happened to him.

That's me.  I'm done.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:13 AM

Martin Crompton - if he'd signed for a top club, I think he'd have gone on to much bigger things than his already admirable career.

Scott Quinnell - I thought that, at the point where he went back to Rugby Union, he was just beginning to play to his potential.

Edited by Futtocks, 29 September 2010 - 11:14 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 29 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last for now - Karle Hammond - Thought he had it all at one stage, balance, deceptive pace, good passer but didn't he retire at 29? What did happen to him?

I think it was just a buildup of injuries.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:17 AM

Simon Haughton
Shaun Irwin

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#6 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,996 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

I wish Terry Holmes had gone to league sooner and not had the injuries he had.

rldfsignature.jpg

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Sep 29 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Simon Haughton

Absolutely.

#8 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Sep 29 2010, 12:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nigel Wright is the obvious one. Great talent, but biscuit legs.

Was the person I was gonna say, such a talented player but so unlucky with injuries. Also one from my own team was Stephen Holgate who moved to Wigan. Never quite hit the heights but was a superb player.

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Mumby Magic @ Sep 29 2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mick Nanyn - I enjoy watching Nanyn in the lower leagues but he has never cut the mustard at SL level. Stong, good goal kicker he could have achieved more.

He had a hell of a boot on him. I remember a televised Challenge Cup match against Warrington, when he took a drop out under the posts. It landed closer to the opposition's tryline than some of the kickoffs in that match!

#10 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:51 AM

Ronnie Duane(spelling) Warrington mid 80s. He was a big fella for a centre at that time and he earned his rhino nickname for good reason.

Neil Puckering Hull mid 80s. He was a suprise inclusion in the front row for Hull at Wembley at something like 19 yrs old, back in the day when teenagers rarely made 1st teams. He played very well and looked set for a big future but he just disappeard.

#11 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

How about Ian Thompson, Whitehaven and Workington during 80's I believe someone told me he was described as "the best uncapped centre in the country" Mal Meninga never scored past him.

Yanto are you there :-)

#12 Aristotle

Aristotle
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:02 PM

Mick Shaw - Yes THAT Mick Shaw that kept Jimmy Lowes out of the Leeds side of the mid 90's and contributed to Lowes joining the Bulls. He was a good little player but what happened???

Back to his amateur roots at Siddal. Still lightening quick off the mark at acting half back when he turns out.

#13 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,404 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:17 PM

Martin Pearson. Pace of the mark, reliable goal kicker. Looked like he'd be the next GB no 6 in 1995.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

Lee Briers - and I mean that with no disrespect and the plaudits he is earning now should have been his for the last decade or more, I always thought he'd be the one to step up, especially after his game for Wales v Australia and give us that something special on the international stage.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Sep 29 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Martin Crompton - if he'd signed for a top club, I think he'd have gone on to much bigger things than his already admirable career.
Didn't Crompton play for Warrington and Wigan? IIRC it was his injuries that was the issue.

#16 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:28 PM

Mick Burke - I know he played for GB and won cups but he should have been an all time great in the game if he had got himself fit and stayed fit.

#17 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:33 PM

Karl Pryce

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,837 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Northern / Bulls:
Daio Powell
Gary van Bellen
Joe Simpson

Good players for other clubs but I thought they were going to be really special
Paul King
Bob Roberts

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,891 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 29 2010, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Crompton play for Warrington and Wigan? IIRC it was his injuries that was the issue.

Warrington weren't a major force at the time. Wigan was just for one season (IIRC) - I don't know why he left. I remember him best as Oldham's 'super-sub', when he used to change games, coming off the bench.

#20 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Tony Myler - The original Nigel Wright, he had everything:
Big defence, athleticism, decent speed, physicality, a step and superb hands.

Despite a superb career and some topperformances for GB his career was interupted and eventually cut short by injuries and he never reached his full potential

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users