• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (Keith T @ Sep 30 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might agree with you, if only we knew the Cumbria team!!!!!!

Well for starters

2 Gardner

9 Clarke or Lunt

13 Purdham

Thats a few decent SL players. I think they will see it as a big game after what happened up there and a chance to shine in the memory of Gary Purdham.

#22 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

Ratchford is injured at the moment. He needs to get that sorted for next season.

#23 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:49 AM

http://www.newsandst...erPath=sport/rl

http://www.nwemail.c...ferrerPath=home

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 01 October 2010 - 07:51 AM.

#24 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'm not Sykes biggest fan, but I'll be happy for him to prove me wrong any time he likes. He had some decent games towards the back end of the year for the Bulls, but yet to see him really fill his boots
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#25 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (Red Willow @ Sep 30 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ratchford is injured at the moment. He needs to get that sorted for next season.

oh right wasnt aware, in all honesty i think he could do with a move, mcrae is wastin ghis talent playing on the wing etc! and i think he will have a job on shifting holdsworth or smith. We need a half back at bradford i think he would flourish in a set position with a coach giving him a chance to play where hes best.

back on to sykes, steve mac could have even put richard horne in its always been our problem wheter england or GB playing people out of position

#26 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Sep 30 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going to the game on Sunday - my first trip to Whitehaven in fact. It's an interesting side, but I don't imagine too many of them will be heading down under for the 4 Nations.

When I was looking at the squad on teletext, my 12 year old son looked at the TV and the first thing he said was "Why does Paul Sykes always get picked? He's ######." Despite much thought I still can't give him an answer.

Do you have room in your car for me?

I can't get to the game as the only train of the day from Bradford doesn't arrive into Whitehaven until after 16:00 and then I can't get one back till Monday am sad.gif

#27 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 30 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should have said best British winger then!

Nonsense.

Riley is a liability in defence.

He is nowhere near as good as Darrell Goulding.

#28 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Sep 30 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do like the look of Jodie Broughton, he could be one for the future if he played for a top club.

That's exactly what I think for Riley.
People called Romans they go the house

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Oct 1 2010, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nonsense.

Riley is a liability in defence.

He is nowhere near as good as Darrell Goulding.

Riley does a lot of good stuff, but I agree about the defence thing close to the line, which I have highlighted a few times on here. Not seen enough of Goulding to compare the two. It will be interesting to see how he goes at 1 on Sunday, as that is one thing which could go in his favour is his ability to play well at 1 which could be valuable on tour.

#30 Terry Chimes

Terry Chimes
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

I work with a Bradford fan, Tony.

Our standard Monday morning conversation after a Paul Sykes game at number 6:

Terry: Morning Steve, good game yesterday ?

Tony: Huummpph. Not really.

Terry: Oh dear. How many time did Sykes throw the ball straight into touch ?

Tony: Just Three

Terry: Oh, er, is that all.

What devastating piece of information does Sykes hold on McNamara which our National Coach couldn't possibly allow to be released?

#31 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,022 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

This is a great weekend for Rugby League with 2 Grand Finals and this game.

#32 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Oct 1 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't get to the game as the only train of the day from Bradford doesn't arrive into Whitehaven until after 16:00 and then I can't get one back till Monday am sad.gif

You can get train to Carlisle from Leeds about 08:30 via Preston - (not sure where you are based Leeds or Bradford) then a bus from Carlisle to Whitehaven.
On way back its Whitehaven to Carlisle by bus then Carlisle to Leeds by train via Manchester Piccadilly.

Have the trainline and the traveline (north east and cumbria) open at the same time and you can see the times - its a long day but can be done.

The Settle-Carlisle line must be closed on Sunday as its a bus from Skipton to Carlisle on the Sun morning.

Edited by shaun mc, 01 October 2010 - 11:27 PM.

#33 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE (shaun mc @ Oct 2 2010, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can get train to Carlisle from Leeds about 08:30 via Preston - (not sure where you are based Leeds or Bradford) then a bus from Carlisle to Whitehaven.
On way back its Whitehaven to Carlisle by bus then Carlisle to Leeds by train via Manchester Piccadilly.

Have the trainline and the traveline (north east and cumbria) open at the same time and you can see the times - its a long day but can be done.

The Settle-Carlisle line must be closed on Sunday as its a bus from Skipton to Carlisle on the Sun morning.

Shaun been there done that marra...looked at all the time tables...trains and buses wont get out of county guys to the game in time and as for return its a no go.

Maybe an over night stop in Ellenboro biggrin.gif is needed.

#34 FrankDrebin

FrankDrebin
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (Terry Chimes @ Oct 1 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I work with a Bradford fan, Tony.

Our standard Monday morning conversation after a Paul Sykes game at number 6:

Terry: Morning Steve, good game yesterday ?

Tony: Huummpph. Not really.

Terry: Oh dear. How many time did Sykes throw the ball straight into touch ?

Tony: Just Three

Terry: Oh, er, is that all.

What devastating piece of information does Sykes hold on McNamara which our National Coach couldn't possibly allow to be released?

It might seem like a bizarre statement, but Paul Cooke would be a better choice at stand-off for England than Mr.Sykes.
What is McNamara playing at???
Even given his utility (equally as average in all the backline positions he can play) value, he's nowhere near an international quality player.
It all smacks to me of lazy, lazy scouting and research from our national coach.

#35 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

That's the problem though when you put someone in charge who has come straight from a club side.

Macnamara has chosen Sykes, Lynch and Langley from a team that could hardly win a game last season, and will probably take all 3 of them to Australia.

Lynch I can understand, as he should have played for his country many times before, but the other two are hopeless.

I predict we will be seeing some shocks in the next few days as Mr Mac leaves out some really good players to accommodate his Bulls mates.

Australia will be cacking themselves at the thought of fronting up against Sykes and Langley. rolleyes.gif

#36 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Oct 2 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the problem though when you put someone in charge who has come straight from a club side.

Macnamara has chosen Sykes, Lynch and Langley from a team that could hardly win a game last season, and will probably take all 3 of them to Australia.

Lynch I can understand, as he should have played for his country many times before, but the other two are hopeless.

I predict we will be seeing some shocks in the next few days as Mr Mac leaves out some really good players to accommodate his Bulls mates.

Australia will be cacking themselves at the thought of fronting up against Sykes and Langley. rolleyes.gif

I'll start praying and ask our lord to have mercy for us wink.gif

#37 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Oct 1 2010, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately it's not my car - I'm going with a mate. I used to go all over the place watching matches travelling by train, so I can understand your frustration. Whitehaven is a bit of an awkward place to get to at the best of times. If only they played more game on Saturday afternoons.

#38 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

I don't see the point of playing a known quantity like Sykes at 6. Cooke would be a better choice - in the absence of one of the genuine contenders Mac should have gone for someone who may be an international further down the track from the Under 20s if need be.
On wingers, Fox, Briscoe and Hall strike me as our best, with Hodgson, Goulding, Riley and Cudjoe having their merits. Riley is at 1 I assume because Mac sees no alternatives there, and I am hard pressed to dispute that (though don't Trinity have a highly rated 1?). Who knows, the experiment may be an unqualified success.
I agree Ratchford should move. To his home town club.

#39 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,516 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

This is a charity match - not an international. Let's have a bit of crcumspection, please!

Maybe, just maybe the team was selected from players who had quietly made themselves available, whilst a number of others, for whatever reason, might have regarded the end of their season to be the point from which they have some R&R, including whatever surgical recuperation many may have to undergo.

Wait until the 4 Nations before laying into SMc - at which point I may join in myself!

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,091 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:26 AM

Will Ade Gardner still play for Cumbria?

After all he might not be playing tonight if they stick with the same side as last week.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users