Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Best Player To Never Produce For Eng/GB

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (Ant @ Oct 1 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paul Sculthorpe

Behave yourself.

#22 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Ant @ Oct 1 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Paul Sculthorpe

You are joking !
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

Regarding Newlove - I'll take the stats on the Official site rather than anything else...amd my memory of him is a player that simply never, ever replicated his club form on the international stage.

Sculthorpe. Meh, maybe that was one too far.

The problem is we had so many players good at club level who didnt perform at international level because they knew it didnt matter how poor they were, they would never be dropped

Edited by Ant, 01 October 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#24 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'd like to give a mention to Andy Farrell. He always seemed to try too hard (probably because he was the captain), which usually meant trying to make all the tackles himself and leaving huge gaps in the defensive line as a result.
I can't fault his effort, but the performances were way below his club standatrd.

#25 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

You are aware that its harder to play internationally than at club level???

Players will find it difficult to look as impressive when playing the Aussies as when playing Swinton.

Paul Newlove was a superb centre and delivered internationally. He may not have ripped it up every game but who does.

His performance v Australia in '92 was top class and he continued in that vein. Look how many tries his wingers scored as well as him.

One should never trust website stats. I fondly remember someone on here arguing blue murder about jamie rooneys age 'cos it sez so on the official SL website' didnt matter that I knew the kid like. laugh.gif

Paul Sculthorpe is arguably our best international performer of the last ten years.

Now if you wanna talk ######, how about Joynty, McGuire and Shaun Long. Cunningham as well never played well v australia. Radlinski was always a bit disappointing for me.
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

scully never ever let GB / England down.

WTF!!! are some people on................ total willies cut off

#27 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,546 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Ant @ Oct 1 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding Newlove - I'll take the stats on the Official site rather than anything else...amd my memory of him is a player that simply never, ever replicated his club form on the international stage.

Sculthorpe. Meh, maybe that was one too far.

The problem is we had so many players good at club level who didnt perform at international level because they knew it didnt matter how poor they were, they would never be dropped

Too far? It was utterly barking mad.

The issue was not that they played for St Helens (do not play the oppressed martyr with not being clear), but that Australia were a better team and so it was not as easy to replicate the dominant play of club level.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#28 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 934 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

Wilkin. He best not be selected this year. Sinfield as well of course although he played ok last year.

#29 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

Either Cunningham or Farrell. Both had great club careers.

#30 FrankDrebin

FrankDrebin
  • Coach
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

I'll get shot down in flames for this, but I never thought Denis Betts lived up to his Wigan form when in a GB shirt. When in the Cherry and White he was a dynamic, line-breaking, try-scoring dynamo, but in a GB jersey I often thought he was ineffective and powder-puff.

#31 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:10 AM

It does make you wonder what part psychology played in the non-performance of these established players. Was it a case of previous experiences having a negative impact on their performances?

#32 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

Sculthorpe was generally superb and always gave his all for GB....along with Morley , the best of the recent past..

Cunningham , although a magnificent SL career, was on the whole, a major disappointment at test level..

Edited by Marty Funkhouser, 02 October 2010 - 09:25 AM.

#33 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

Adrian Morley
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#34 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,235 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

Paul Newlove was a superb centre both at club and international level. The try he scored in the opening test of the 1990 tour is an example of his power. The tries he scored against NZ the year before were examples of his pace. He made Owen Simpson look like Offiah, after he left Fev Owen was never the same player. I believe he did the same for Anthony Sullivan at Saints. In the 1992 Melbourne test he had a brilliant game at the highest level. Put it this way, I wish he was available for both Fev and England today.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#35 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:34 AM

Ahh yes, Lee Briers and his 1 forgettable Great Britain cap.

wink.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

[steal Hanners thunder mode] Paul Sykes and Jamie Langley [/steal Hanneres thunder mode]

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

After several decades since winning a series against Australia I would suggest plenty of players.
There have been plenty of players that have been legends in the English game and from what the Aussies have seen of them they rate them as Park players.

Edited by AndyCapp, 02 October 2010 - 01:18 PM.

#38 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

I can't believe somebody mentioned Paul Sculthorpe. He was our one class player over a bad period. I remember when we lost 64-10 being embarrassed that he was on our side, because he was the one that didn't deserve it.

#39 NEIL FOX IS GOD

NEIL FOX IS GOD
  • Coach
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

could add Keith Senior Danny McGuire to the list maybe Morley but not Sculthorpe or Newlove
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users