Sky have downgraded the Grand Final this year

Does anyone else feel like the showpiece event in Sky's Rugby League calender has been downgraded this year?

Shunted to Sky Sports 2 by the Ryder 'rained off' Cup, meaning less viewers will watch.

###### build up show tonight, last year we had interviews and studio analysis.

Poor advertising with hardly any adverts on Sky for the game.

No 3D viewing as promised earlier in the season.

i dont think so on this occasion but throughout the season the game has been treated with total contempt by sky . when do they finish the present deals as i would be in favour of a smaller contract with another broadcaster who gives the game more respect and new presenters and commentaters other than eddie and stevo who have had a good run but need to be changed.

Does anyone else feel like the showpiece event in Sky's Rugby League calender has been downgraded this year?

Shunted to Sky Sports 2 by the Ryder 'rained off' Cup, meaning less viewers will watch.

There's nothing like RL fans for making mountains out of molehills.

The Ryder Cup has been scheduled for this weekend for a few years now. It was the RFL's decision to bring the GF forward a week (due to the Four Nations). And frankly, a domestic competition is always going to play second fiddle to a major international event. Had they played it on the 2nd Saturday in October as previous years there would have been no competition, especially as the international football has been shifted to Friday.

The Ryder Cup would have been shown on SS1 today regardless as to whether yesterday's play had been rained off.

Are you honestly saying that people who want to watch the GF won't because it's on SS2 rather than 1???

###### build up show tonight, last year we had interviews and studio analysis.

TBH I didn't watch the build-up programme because all the previous ones I've seen have been vacuous and lightweight. Sounds like this one was the same.

Poor advertising with hardly any adverts on Sky for the game.

At last we have a valid critcism.

No one cares about this.

Anyhow, it's not just Sky, the radio coverage has been shunted to Sports Extra because of the Ryder Cup as well.

So blame bad planning on the part of the RFL - they could have held the GF either last week or next week and had little competition, but no they decided to clash with one of the biggest international sporting events of the year.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

There's nothing like RL fans for making mountains out of molehills.

The Ryder Cup has been scheduled for this weekend for a few years now. It was the RFL's decision to bring the GF forward a week (due to the Four Nations). And frankly, a domestic competition is always going to play second fiddle to a major international event. Had they played it on the 2nd Saturday in October as previous years there would have been no competition, especially as the international football has been shifted to Friday.

The Ryder Cup would have been shown on SS1 today regardless as to whether yesterday's play had been rained off.

Are you honestly saying that people who want to watch the GF won't because it's on SS2 rather than 1???

TBH I didn't watch the build-up programme because all the previous ones I've seen have been vacuous and lightweight. Sounds like this one was the same.

At last we have a valid critcism.

No one cares about this.

Anyhow, it's not just Sky, the radio coverage has been shunted to Sports Extra because of the Ryder Cup as well.

So blame bad planning on the part of the RFL - they could have held the GF either last week or next week and had little competition, but no they decided to clash with one of the biggest international sporting events of the year.

Good post.

Interesting that the Today programme on R4 had an interview with Ellery Hanley yesterday morning. It may only have been around a minute long but is a major shift in perception for this programme and it was very positive about the game.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

spot on.

I guess one question is "how closely does the RFL and SLE work with Sky on promoting the game? If the RFL and SLE have no dialogue, no input with Sky, then we should not expect much more than we get.

Edited by JohnM

Viewing figures are always higher on Sky Sports 1 simply because more people have that channel.People will have SS1 without SS2 but not many if any will have SS2 and not have SS1.Viewing figures will probably go from 5/600,000 to 300,000 just because of the switch.

Viewing figures are always higher on Sky Sports 1 simply because more people have that channel.People will have SS1 without SS2 but not many if any will have SS2 and not have SS1.Viewing figures will probably go from 5/600,000 to 300,000 just because of the switch.

The final only got 356k last year on SS1. So don't know where the 5-600k comes from. However, based on this year's figures it will probably beat last year's figure even on SS2.

You can just purchase one sports channel so some people will not have access to SS2, and when we wanted SSN we had to purchase the news package as it wasn't included in the sports one (another swizz)

so Paul...I will leave it to you to answer your own question :D

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

You can just purchase one sports channel so some people will not have access to SS2, and when we wanted SSN we had to purchase the news package as it wasn't included in the sports one (another swizz)

so Paul...I will leave it to you to answer your own question :D

thanks for that

just been on the sky web site

sports pack

I know many people who wouldn't normally express anything other than a passing interest in Rugby League often comment to me (as a RL fan) that they 'caught the rugby' on SS1 and ended up watching it all. Quite a lot appear just to subscribe to SS1.

I fully agree about the Ryder Cup though. However, if the golf has finished by 6pm, surely the highlights and post match discussion could be easily put on the Red Button like Sky do for their RL analysis? ;)

Edited by Jerry the Berry

I think we need multiple camera angles, as they do in Yawnion, and wendyball before we start moaning about 3D, and as for the coverage between the Sky & NRL coverage, Rugby League is the number 1 sport in Aus, our media treat us somewhere around Ice Hockey is treated in Morocco, Sky push soccer games because the knobheads who follow that sport NEED reminding when there is a big match coming up so they can stop beating the wife & shagging their sister

Uh-oh, another warning coming up!

I'd have thought that more than not would have had both, although I've no official subscriber numbers to hand.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

Watch the difference between the presentation of the Super league GF and the NRL GF.

Enough said.

Down under wins by a country mile.

Very true, Just watched nearly over 8 hrs of footage, starting with Sunday Roast, Sunday Footy Show, NSW Cup Final, Toyota Cup Final and NRL GF. All on Channel 9, not on pay tv. I love living here and one of the reasons is the love of rugby league. I went to the supermarket on the gold coast this morning and some cashiers and staff were wearing there teams shirts. People are talking about it at work. It's fantastic. On a downside the pre match entertainment was s.hite. Jessica Mauboy miming and some guy ripping off Rolling Stones. Apart from that 1st class viewing

Very true, Just watched nearly over 8 hrs of footage, starting with Sunday Roast, Sunday Footy Show, NSW Cup Final, Toyota Cup Final and NRL GF. All on Channel 9, not on pay tv. I love living here and one of the reasons is the love of rugby league. I went to the supermarket on the gold coast this morning and some cashiers and staff were wearing there teams shirts. People are talking about it at work. It's fantastic. On a downside the pre match entertainment was s.hite. Jessica Mauboy miming and some guy ripping off Rolling Stones. Apart from that 1st class viewing

In the UK we didn't get all that for the NRL Grand Final, we only got the match, and honestly, it was worse than the Super League coverage. Constantly yappiong on about accidental offside and whatnot.

Just a quick FYI regarding Sky Sports 2 being a "downgrade". Since this football season began, on Saturdays all of Sky's Premier League content from Soccer AM to Football First and all matches etc inbetween have been on SS2. Sky have noticably been shifting content around since then rather than just putting all their "good stuff" (in their eyes, not ours) on SS1.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010