Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How many Wigan players should make the England squad ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (MattSantos @ Oct 3 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nevermind.

It depends whether he wants to split the field and play Tomkins one side, someone else t'other. Either way, it'd be a mistake as Tomkins isn't a first receiver and never will be.

You can't just pick a 17 and say there, that's it. All the suggestions so far are pointless as they don't come with a plan.

a forum is for posting opinions and views

if all suggestions have been pointless and you can't come up with a team / suggestion of your own, back your posts up with info and not put others down.

get it!!!

#22 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (MattSantos @ Oct 3 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nevermind.

You can't just pick a 17 and say there, that's it. All the suggestions so far are pointless as they don't come with a plan.

And yours...................... is?

Just one question on Mark Flanagan for Derwent: how many players would you imagine that Flanagan would be behind in contention for an OZ or a Kiwi jersey?

Not being critical of you or your opinion as I also believe that Flanagan has done OK, but seriously, can you honestly contend that he is more worthy than the second rowers that WILL be selected/
Sorry but I do not, even though I would not rule him out as possible future rep material, yet like Cudjoe and a few others getting some mention, that time is still some way off yet.

#23 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (petero @ Oct 3 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yours...................... is?

Just one question on Mark Flanagan for Derwent: how many players would you imagine that Flanagan would be behind in contention for an OZ or a Kiwi jersey?

Not being critical of you or your opinion as I also believe that Flanagan has done OK, but seriously, can you honestly contend that he is more worthy than the second rowers that WILL be selected/
Sorry but I do not, even though I would not rule him out as possible future rep material, yet like Cudjoe and a few others getting some mention, that time is still some way off yet.

I'm not advocating selecting him ahead of Ellis & Burgess (for example) but I would definitely have him in the squad. He's played a full season of NRL and not looked out of place and therefore will be used to the higher speed and collision intensity that I think is obvious in the NRL and which will be replicated in the 4 Nations. I think it would be crazy to overlook someone who has been an established first team regular in the team that finished 3rd on the NRL ladder, and its only because he went down under without establishing a reputation here first that people aren't considering him.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#24 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Oct 4 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not advocating selecting him ahead of Ellis & Burgess (for example) but I would definitely have him in the squad. He's played a full season of NRL and not looked out of place and therefore will be used to the higher speed and collision intensity that I think is obvious in the NRL and which will be replicated in the 4 Nations. I think it would be crazy to overlook someone who has been an established first team regular in the team that finished 3rd on the NRL ladder, and its only because he went down under without establishing a reputation here first that people aren't considering him.

I would not contest that explanation at all and the points you make are indisputable, but there does happen to be a pretty good selection without him in the position he would occupy if selected and really we need cover for other positions more urgently than yet another back rower.

All the same I do go along with all of that and I could fully understand it were he to be included in the squad, based upon your explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users