Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your fav overseas player

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:52 PM

well weve had plenty over the years to go at and the PNG Lads are right up there, id go for
1 Gary Kemble - a young kiwi full bk from the Greyhound Stadium days
2 David Gillespie - aussie international forward from Elland Rd days
3 Paul Mansson - on his day a very talented stand off

other nominations, Mal Graham, Paul Carr, Peter Brown, Micheal Mark, Charlie Wabo,Terry Webb, John Ackland,Ian Cameron, Lynsey Procter.
Posted Image

#2 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:21 AM

QUOTE (The King Of Leon @ Dec 1 2010, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well weve had plenty over the years to go at and the PNG Lads are right up there, id go for
1 Gary Kemble - a young kiwi full bk from the Greyhound Stadium days
2 David Gillespie - aussie international forward from Elland Rd days
3 Paul Mansson - on his day a very talented stand off

other nominations, Mal Graham, Paul Carr, Peter Brown, Micheal Mark, Charlie Wabo,Terry Webb, John Ackland,Ian Cameron, Lynsey Procter.

Graeme Jennings, Bob Arnold, Glenn Townsend, Herbert Moore and I think Colin Peniola was an Aussie

#3 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,461 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Penola @ Dec 2 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Graeme Jennings, Bob Arnold, Glenn Townsend, Herbert Moore and I think Colin Peniola was an Aussie

My generation

Paul Mansson, Butch Fatanowa, Michael Mark, Tim Murphy, Felipo

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#4 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:10 PM

Some great players mentioned here , has been great to see these overseas players over the years plying their skills. For me i have to go with Paul Mansson as the best. A super quick thinking player who could always win you a game, even if the team were playing badly, he had so much skill. All these players mentioned were great in their own style of play , but i thought Mannsson was the best.

Does anyone remember a player from the Elland Road days called Gray ? , I cannot remember his first name, think it might have been Paul ?. he played number 9 for us, I think he was from New Zealand. Only a small man but a none stop player. He needs adding to the list of the overseas greats.

#5 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (hunslets iggy pop @ Dec 2 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some great players mentioned here , has been great to see these overseas players over the years plying their skills. For me i have to go with Paul Mansson as the best. A super quick thinking player who could always win you a game, even if the team were playing badly, he had so much skill. All these players mentioned were great in their own style of play , but i thought Mannsson was the best.

Does anyone remember a player from the Elland Road days called Gray ? , I cannot remember his first name, think it might have been Paul ?. he played number 9 for us, I think he was from New Zealand. Only a small man but a none stop player. He needs adding to the list of the overseas greats.

Well there was Neil Gray a hooker when we played at Elland Road. Was he not English?

#6 pooliehawk

pooliehawk
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:47 PM

Does anyone remember Brown, he was brilliant, one of my all time fav Hunslet players, and overseas player.

#7 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (pooliehawk @ Dec 2 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone remember Brown, he was brilliant, one of my all time fav Hunslet players, and overseas player.

Peter Brown - yes - good goalkicker from what I remember. Kiwi I think

#8 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:42 AM

Peter Brown for me was the best.

Big monster of a player - prop forward, goal kicker, athletic all round brilliance.

Came for a couple of spells I believe - always relished the big challenge.

I remember him turning Mal Meninga inside out - dumping him in touch and still scoring the try on the touchline - then walking back and towering above looking down at the sprawled Meninga - back in the Elland Road days when Meninga was playing at St Helens.

Also remember him captaining an Auckland touring side that thrashed Leeds by 40 points at Headingley.

Gillespie comes a close second for his sheer toughness and workrate - remember him at Hull KR getting a nasty shoulder injury - he refused to come off - Hull KR were top of the tree at the time and had an awesome pack but he wouldn't give in !!!

#9 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Penola @ Dec 2 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there was Neil Gray a hooker when we played at Elland Road. Was he not English?

Pretty sure Neil Gray was English - we got him from Doncaster in the early Elland Road days. I think after a couple of seasons for us he emigrated to New Zealand, which is probably where the confusion lays.

#10 pooliehawk

pooliehawk
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

One of my lasting memories of Brown, we was at swinton, must have been half a dozen players on top of him, then out of no were, threw the pile of bodies, came this hand with the ball, which he flung back, cant remember who got it, but we went over and scored.

Me & my stepdad was talking about it last night, I mentioned about this fav player, and we both said Brown, then both remembered and talked about this great moment.

Does anyone know what Brown is doing now, or were he.

#11 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:26 PM

From out of memory we got Brown - a kiwi, from Mount Isa a rough tough mining town in outback Queensland, Oz.After establishing himself at Hunslet and playing with us in the old 1st div at Elland Rd for about a season and half he moved to Halifax then Salford ( though i might have got that the wrong way round).During this time he played for the New Zealand test team and i even think he captained them for a time!A big tall player with long black hair who could also kick goals as well as offload, also had a short fuse and remembering him getting sent off at widnes early on, presume hes back home in NZ.
Anyone remember Lynsey Procter another kiwi from the Greyhound Stadium days ?
Posted Image

#12 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:26 PM

I remember Lyndsey - another tough uncompromising prop - made a good partnership with his hooking mate Murray Netzler - shocked Saints again down at the dog track in our first season up in 1978 I believe??

Anyone remember this game ?? 22-12 to us I think??

#13 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Hawkwindbag @ Dec 3 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure Neil Gray was English - we got him from Doncaster in the early Elland Road days. I think after a couple of seasons for us he emigrated to New Zealand, which is probably where the confusion lays.

Sorry for the late reply to you and Penola, Looks like i am wrong on both counts. Yes his name is Neil, and he emigrated to New Zealand. Still he was a very good player.

#14 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:41 PM

Just remembered another really good foreign winger from our Elland Road dog track days Ronnie Sulipa a strong winger. Remember him scoring 2 tries against Leeds. This match was televised too. Also he played a blinder against Leigh bouncing Des Drummond into touch on more than one ocasion. Think Sulepa is from New Zealand ?.

#15 RobinHoodHawk

RobinHoodHawk
  • Coach
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

Oh yes - I remember Ronnie - he was Polynesian - South Sea Islands

Great player - rotund and quick - sorted a few big names out in his time !!

#16 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

Why hasn't anybody mentioned LATHAM TAWHAI (probably spelt wrong)
Best of the lot for me was TERRY WEBB, but we.ve had so many good overseas players.
I worked with Peter Brown, Murray Netzler, Ronnie Sulipea and many more at COMET, Armley Road, thanks to Jerry Mason(William Jerome Mason, Hunslets greatest chairman.)--- Peter Roe also worked at Comet at the same time.
Can confirm that Neil Gray was from the Castleford area, and did emigrate to New Zealand.
In the mid eighties there was a international tri nations tournement played in Australia-- the three No 8 prop forwards that series were ALL ex Hunslet players. -- David Gillespie (CEMENT) Australia,--- Peter Brown New Zealand, and Kelvin Skerret GB.
I understand that Ronnie Sulipea got a top job in New Zealand Rugby Union in Auckland-- tried to look him up when I was there, but didn't have any luck.
One that got away-- in our Elland Road days we were offered a young wingman-- just for the cost of his air fare (about 850 at that time) but we couldn't afford it.!--- that player was WENDALL SAILOR.
So many great overseas players to remember in our colours-- so heres looking forward to the next ones that come along.

#17 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (hunslets iggy pop @ Dec 2 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes I was English I had Peter Brown and Gerry Byron as props

Edited by Neil Gray, 15 May 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#18 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

Why hasn't anybody mentioned LATHAM TAWHAI (probably spelt wrong)
Best of the lot for me was TERRY WEBB, but we.ve had so many good overseas players.
I worked with Peter Brown, Murray Netzler, Ronnie Sulipea and many more at COMET, Armley Road, thanks to Jerry Mason(William Jerome Mason, Hunslets greatest chairman.)--- Peter Roe also worked at Comet at the same time.
Can confirm that Neil Gray was from the Castleford area, and did emigrate to New Zealand.
In the mid eighties there was a international tri nations tournement played in Australia-- the three No 8 prop forwards that series were ALL ex Hunslet players. -- David Gillespie (CEMENT) Australia,--- Peter Brown New Zealand, and Kelvin Skerret GB.
I understand that Ronnie Sulipea got a top job in New Zealand Rugby Union in Auckland-- tried to look him up when I was there, but didn't have any luck.
One that got away-- in our Elland Road days we were offered a young wingman-- just for the cost of his air fare (about �850 at that time) but we couldn't afford it.!--- that player was WENDALL SAILOR.
So many great overseas players to remember in our colours-- so heres looking forward to the next ones that come along.

I came from Normanton and went to Hunslet from Featherstone Rovers (Paul Daly took me there with Terry Hudson)

#19 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (Penola @ Dec 2 2010, 09:21 AM)

My generation

Paul Mansson, Butch Fatanowa, Michael Mark, Tim Murphy, Felipo

i think you signed butch from town or visa versa, wasnt a great at town to be honest but he was replacing the greatest fullback weve ever had in mark mulligan so he was never going to live up to that standard. i can remember in one of his first games for us he was being sick under the sticks, then next minute making a 40m break
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#20 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

Hey wonky Paul Charlton was your greatest full bk imo but that sione kid was pretty good too!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users