Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Your fav overseas player

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

I came from Normanton and went to Hunslet from Featherstone Rovers (Paul Daly took me there with Terry Hudson)

Taking to a mate of mine (Neil Rayner) who played Rugby with you at Elland Rd ............

#22 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

Yes I was English I had Peter Brown and Gerry Byron as props

Didn't you go off to Oz or something or did I imagine that?

#23 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Taking to a mate of mine (Neil Rayner) who played Rugby with you at Elland Rd ............

Yeah I remember him he was a good stand off

#24 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

Edited by Neil Gray, 16 May 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#25 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Went to New Zealand in 1986

I remember you playing full back Colin

Edited by Neil Gray, 16 May 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#26 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (Hawkwindbag @ Dec 3 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty sure Neil Gray was English - we got him from Doncaster in the early Elland Road days. I think after a couple of seasons for us he emigrated to New Zealand, which is probably where the confusion lays.

Sorry for the late reply to you and Penola, Looks like i am wrong on both counts. Yes his name is Neil, and he emigrated to New Zealand. Still he was a very good player.

Yes Iggy I was English,lived in Normanton,Paul Daly brought me to Hunslet with Terry Hudson we were both from Fev Rovers and yes I migrated to New Zealand in Dec 1986

#27 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hey wonky Paul Charlton was your greatest full bk imo but that sione kid was pretty good too!

charlton was before my time mate. sione was probably on par with carter now buy mully was in a class of his own, 1hand takes in awful weather, greatest try ever against haven and as good in defence as he was in attack
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#28 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Carters good but Sione was something else , totally freakish talent . Big , tall , rangy and unbelievable running ability . An X factor I've rarely seen in a town player , you just can't coach that !!!

Edited by DavidM, 16 May 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#29 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Carters good but Sione was something else , totally freakish talent . Big , tall , rangy and unbelievable running ability . An X factor I've rarely seen in a town player , you just can't coach that !!!

his defence wasnt great though.

#30 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

Was he the guy who would'nt play on Saturday because of his religion , if so good player

#31 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:41 PM

That's him . He went to have a trial at Wigan , but yes he had that religious quirk in playing terms which would have held him back . He was a standout in the NZ comp , winning grand finals , and played for New Zealand A , scoring a hat trick in a game for them . Ged Stokes was their coach and Ged became town coach and brought him over . He could scythe through a whole defence to score with wizardry of footwork and acceleration !!

Edited by DavidM, 16 May 2013 - 12:45 PM.

#32 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:48 PM

Was he the guy who would'nt play on Saturday because of his religion , if so good player

yeah thats him mate, went to wigan on trial but they wouldnt sign him because he couldnt play saturdays. could of easy played super league

#33 Neil Gray

Neil Gray
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

No Colin I went to New Zealand,what are you up to nowadays?

#34 Penola

Penola
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:39 AM

Ha ha. I'm not THE Penola. Just liked him as a player. He's probably back in Oz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users