Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Years on Here

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (kier @ Jan 13 2011, 09:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted on the virtual terrace at least as early as 1999 and I'm pretty sure I joined this forum at the earliest opportunity and I'm pretty sure I was posting before I emigrated in 2002. There was a gap as I established myself in NZ....hence my profile showing 2004 as my start date.

I also posted on 13world, rugbywar and legendsworldofsport (LWOS - an aussie forum that morphed into leagueunlimited)

I posted on rlfans prior to emigrating but found it too fragmented and so never really got back into it once I was settled here. The same was true for leagueunlimited, i really enjoyed being part of LWOS but couldn't shift over - too unwieldy, too difficult to get discussions that didn't descend into bickering.

totalrl is really the only forum/website that I've stuck with since joining t'internet generation (with the exception of google and hotmail).

I remember you being on here before you upped-sticks and headed off to the land of the long white cloud.

28m391z.jpg

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Jan 13 2011, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember JE JE JERRY WHO TYPED EVERYTHING IN CAPITALS AND SEEMED TO LIVE IN EVERY COUNTRY IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE.

He was great for a laugh. Always tying himself up in knots with his endless storytelling. biggrin.gif

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#43 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Tiny Tim @ Jan 13 2011, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember you being on here before you upped-sticks and headed off to the land of the long white cloud.

remember him? i played with him! blush.gif

#44 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Mister C @ Jan 13 2011, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
remember him? i played with him! blush.gif

After a period of sustained and intense grooming I presume.

#45 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,648 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jan 13 2011, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After a period of sustained and intense grooming I presume.

How come you ain't claimed to be Rhuby?

Everyone else has.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#46 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

pushing ten years

#47 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Jan 13 2011, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How come you ain't claimed to be Rhuby?

Everyone else has.

Im Spartacus

#48 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

I was first on the VT in 1999 (during the Union WC). I remember an argument with Dutoni being one of the first things that got me interested.

Bob8 made a great point about how it becomes a steady part of your life. It is only a forum but there aren't many things that you check and contribute to almost every day, no matter where you live. In the time since I've regularly checked this forum, I've changed newspapers a couple of times, I watch different channels mainly on TV, I've changed careers etc. To me it's just an extension of RL and if anything it's RL that's been the one steady part of my life.

It can become all consuming if you're not careful so I don't go on it or post as much any more and I almost never check RLfans when I used to use both.

#49 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (stimpo-and-kat @ Jan 13 2011, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im Spartacus

I remember that one as well biggrin.gif
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#50 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I think I started out on rugbywar, and found this and rlfans as a result. Or maybe they happened at around the same time, I can't remember.

Either way, it has to be 10 years by now.
Posted Image

#51 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (scrape_goose @ Jan 13 2011, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2002 I think so 9 years, gulp!!

Originally as MongOfLeisure, but these "it's PC gone mad I tell yer" times forced a change of name. Bloody easily offended, precious people cool.gif

I find the scraping of geese to be morally offensive and an insult to our feathered friends. You sir, are a Mong.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#52 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,318 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I think I first started posting on here in 2000/2001. I also used to post on summerconference.net (as did James V), and can recall many jousts with a pr&t called Wine Bar Guru.

I don't post on here as often as I used to, though I still log on every day. I can be a chippy and obtuse git when I want to be, but there are now too many idiots knocking about for my liking. Also, though I still love RL, due to geography, I've been away from it for three years now, so I can't contribute as a want.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#53 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Bob8 @ Jan 12 2011, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just replying to Johnoco's post, it occured to me I first did this on John Drake's original Virtual Terrace in 1999.

Along with Paley, LobbyGobbler and John Drake, this means we have been on here a stupid amount of time and for a decent chunk of our lives. I have lived in four countries in that time with countless homes and jobs.

Anyone else coming to the frightening revelation that John's boards are one of th emost constant things in their lives?

You recently posted a link to a web archive copy of the old forum. I wasn't surpised to see I'd posted on it but I was taken aback when I saw it was from April 2001.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#54 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 6,879 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Severus @ Jan 12 2011, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember Flying Kelvin, he was a laugh.

Was he the crazed vegan that used to bang on about his leather free shoes.....or was that a figment of my drunken imagination??? unsure.gif

28m391z.jpg

#55 Rubber Schnib

Rubber Schnib
  • Coach
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (Tiny Tim @ Jan 13 2011, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was he the crazed vegan that used to bang on about his leather free shoes.....or was that a figment of my drunken imagination??? unsure.gif

Obsessed with Morrisey?
Posted Image

#56 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,405 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Bob8 @ Jan 12 2011, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just replying to Johnoco's post, it occured to me I first did this on John Drake's original Virtual Terrace in 1999.

Along with Paley, LobbyGobbler and John Drake, this means we have been on here a stupid amount of time and for a decent chunk of our lives. I have lived in four countries in that time with countless homes and jobs.

Anyone else coming to the frightening revelation that John's boards are one of th emost constant things in their lives?

Now I feel really old. huh.gif

It's like Royston Vasey, this place.

I'm the one on the right. See what this moderating lark has done to me!! wacko.gif

But at least I have never been rhubarbtriangulist. ph34r.gif

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#57 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,308 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

I was a callow twenty-three year old when I started.

I actually was young.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#58 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

take a look at some of the members that were on here in 1991, papa lazarou, league freak,bultigue,voice of reason,sadfish and many others.
total rl 1991

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

I remember that period, I was living here and there and only used to view this place in the library (true). It wasn't until late 2001 that I became settled again and had a house and stuff again.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#60 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (my missus @ Jan 13 2011, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
take a look at some of the members that were on here in 1991, papa lazarou, league freak,bultigue,voice of reason,sadfish and many others.
total rl 1991

I think you mean 2001. A very interesting read. Some names that are still about, and some people much more polite then than they are now!

It must have been a good place to hang out back then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users