Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Years on Here

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#81 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (The real Mac @ Jan 14 2011, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been here since about 2001/02. Found it through rugbywars, and I thought the topics here were more interesting. To be honest, Clive Woody and Paley's squabbles are what made me sign up.

Have met some great people through the board - Ed I Tackle and Bob 8, to name but a few.

Best moments - the party at the end of the old forum where we smashed the place up
- the clawfin and mobyclaw discussion
- Clive and Paley

Are you originally from Belfast?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#82 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (The real Mac @ Jan 14 2011, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, you got there first.

I also loved silent bob, though it took me a very long time to catch on.

I had forgotten League Freak, who was funny.

I also paid my tenner.

A fair few never actually did.... wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#83 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Jan 14 2011, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A fair few never actually did.... wink.gif

I did have a few people ask me why we tolerated someone who only posts empty posts tongue.gif

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#84 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jan 14 2011, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did have a few people ask me why we tolerated someone who only posts empty posts tongue.gif

A few twigged when he scored 7 in SQL.... wink.gif

I He did stick a fair few empty ones up too, to keep folks on their toes.

Edited by goldcard, 14 January 2011 - 09:12 PM.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#85 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (The real Mac @ Jan 14 2011, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, you got there first.

I also loved silent bob, though it took me a very long time to catch on.

I had forgotten League Freak, who was funny.

I also paid my tenner.

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Jan 14 2011, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How on Earth did you work that out from that post?

You are Sherlock Holmes and I claim my five pounds.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#86 The real Mac

The real Mac
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Johnoco @ Jan 14 2011, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. Been in Brussels the past 4 1/2 years being a faceless eurocrat. Returning to Belfast soon though.

#87 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (The real Mac @ Jan 15 2011, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes. Been in Brussels the past 4 1/2 years being a faceless eurocrat. Returning to Belfast soon though.

Thought it was you. Long time no hear.

No Sherlock about it Bob, it's just the sort of thing I can remember...ie incredibly trivial.

#88 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (SlaughteredBear @ Jan 16 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know when the Virtual Terrace started? I posted on there as Slaughtered Bear in 1997/8 ish when I was at Uni. Work meant time was better spent so I never bothered again after I left. Real blast from the past and memories of queueing for a seat in the computer room!

Do you recall a 'Mad Cyril' from around that time?

#89 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

according to wayback archive it looks like 1996 but the earliest page i can find is .............
here

Edited by my missus, 17 January 2011 - 12:47 AM.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#90 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

I seem to remember browsing a forum as early as 1997/1998. Some complete chopper that was at college with was posting and his email address was there for the world to see.

One name that always made me smirk was Public Enema. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that Mr Benson died around 2007 in an accident with a mango and a box of iron filings.

#91 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (SlaughteredBear @ Jan 17 2011, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't to be honest. Trying to recall some of the names. Seem to remember it was just one board without sub forums and got quite fraught.

Shame because that was me! And yes, it was a bit 'fraught' with no proper moderation back then.

#92 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (my missus @ Jan 17 2011, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
according to wayback archive it looks like 1996 but the earliest page i can find is .............
here

The original site wot I built for the RLSA and which incorporated the Virtual Terrace had the snappy address of http://greatestgame.simplenet.com and kicked off sometime in 1996, I think. I can't honestly remember, I never kept a diary.

If anyone wants to trawl through back issues of TGG! from round about that period I'm sure the website launch will be mentioned in there somewhere.

At some later point I also can't remember exactly (when I learned how to purchase and map a domain name) it became rlsa.org.uk and then when I jacked it in altogether it was reborn as rlfans.com under new ownership.

I joined LPL in Nov 2000 and TotalRL.com was born in March 2001.

Where does the time go?

I can remember before websites and email. I am old. sad.gif

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#93 PC

PC
  • Coach
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

I started posting in 2001, god 10 years on this board. Things have certainly changed since then.

#94 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,959 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (John Drake @ Jan 17 2011, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can remember before websites and email. I am old. sad.gif

Hah, I can remember when Fax was the new exciting technology. I used to have a Telex number on my business cards! Now who's old?

Damn. I see what I just did. sad.gif
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#95 BD92

BD92
  • Coach
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:29 AM

I think I may be due a testimonial.
And so the future begins.....

#96 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Donkeys years

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#97 Dennis Bloodnock

Dennis Bloodnock
  • Coach
  • 488 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (kier @ Jan 13 2011, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted on the virtual terrace at least as early as 1999 and I'm pretty sure I joined this forum at the earliest opportunity and I'm pretty sure I was posting before I emigrated in 2002. There was a gap as I established myself in NZ....hence my profile showing 2004 as my start date.

I also posted on 13world, rugbywar and legendsworldofsport (LWOS - an aussie forum that morphed into leagueunlimited)

I posted on rlfans prior to emigrating but found it too fragmented and so never really got back into it once I was settled here. The same was true for leagueunlimited, i really enjoyed being part of LWOS but couldn't shift over - too unwieldy, too difficult to get discussions that didn't descend into bickering.

totalrl is really the only forum/website that I've stuck with since joining t'internet generation (with the exception of google and hotmail).

Didn't you and a friend take over a pub on the South Island and do it up and sell some local real ale type beer?
Or am l confused as usual ? rolleyes.gif
I can speak Esperanto like a native.

#98 kier

kier
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (Dennis Bloodnock @ Jan 19 2011, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't you and a friend take over a pub on the South Island and do it up and sell some local real ale type beer?
Or am l confused as usual ? rolleyes.gif

You're right - that's me.

I have however just sold my shareholding in the business so I'm no longer a publican.....but it does mean my local has the best beer in the country cool.gif
www.fatalerror.co.nz - A Musical by Lattimer & McRae

#99 Bondi Cannon

Bondi Cannon
  • Coach
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

Havent' posted for ages but this thread made me all misty-eyed... I can remember posting back in about 98/99 when I was at uni and involved with Oxford Cavaliers and there were sprawling threads of abuse between the Oxford contingent, a Skolars bunch led by IM2, some Crawley Jets types and even the odd St Albans person. I'm sure that was on the old VT. I remember posting then as Oxfraud Cavalier. Still read this every day even though I've lived in NZ for the last six years and there's still the odd person on here I know from back home.

#100 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Bondi Cannon @ Jan 19 2011, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Havent' posted for ages but this thread made me all misty-eyed... I can remember posting back in about 98/99 when I was at uni and involved with Oxford Cavaliers and there were sprawling threads of abuse between the Oxford contingent, a Skolars bunch led by IM2, some Crawley Jets types and even the odd St Albans person. I'm sure that was on the old VT. I remember posting then as Oxfraud Cavalier. Still read this every day even though I've lived in NZ for the last six years and there's still the odd person on here I know from back home.

how's the little un?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users