Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

short kick off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

Just a thought but.... We now have probably the 2 tallest players in the league with Williams and Grayshon.

So, should we be trying the short kick off more in the coming weeks?

Debate!
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#2 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Unless you've got Patterson or the C*s traffic cone, its still not worth it. Just get it in their 20m and let them worry about running it at Tonks, Dickens et al.

Cummins Out.

#3 jon

jon
  • Players
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 06:34 AM

I always prefer not to kick-off at all. But if we have no choice, just make sure the kicks are varied

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

Unless you've got Patterson or the C*s traffic cone, its still not worth it. Just get it in their 20m and let them worry about running it at Tonks, Dickens et al.

i agree, but these lads could be very effective when we are defending the short kick off.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:14 AM

i agree, but these lads could be very effective when we are defending the short kick off.

I agree, the big tall lads should be defending the catcher by making it look as though they are going for the ball while facing backwards, to stop the opposition onrunners getting anywhere near our catcher.
As for Rovers using the short kick off tactic- Wasn't it Jonny Hepworth who used to do them for Cas? They were the best I have ever seen, in fact they weren't short, they used to go so high and deep into the opposition 20 metre zone that they would take ages to come down, giving the onrushing chasers time to get under it.
If it wasn't Jonny Hepworth I'll stand corrected, but I'm sure it was. Can anyone confirm this?

#6 sharpy9

sharpy9
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

unless its sunny or incase of a night game when the lights are on i would prefer if they just laid the ball on the floor without a cone and just 2@ it along the floor in any direction towards the opposition. It never failed me playing amateur, i would say we probably got ball back about 80% of time. i know these are pro but to be honest i dont think it makes a difference amateur or pro. When some one sees kicker just lay ball on floor they haven't got a clue where its going and dont know where to stand.

Edited by sharpy9, 05 March 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#7 Rob Hemmi

Rob Hemmi
  • Coach
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Loz wildbore was best kicker offer we've had
Featherstone Rovers: league champions 2010...

#8 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

I agree, the big tall lads should be defending the catcher by making it look as though they are going for the ball while facing backwards, to stop the opposition onrunners getting anywhere near our catcher.
As for Rovers using the short kick off tactic- Wasn't it Jonny Hepworth who used to do them for Cas? They were the best I have ever seen, in fact they weren't short, they used to go so high and deep into the opposition 20 metre zone that they would take ages to come down, giving the onrushing chasers time to get under it.
If it wasn't Jonny Hepworth I'll stand corrected, but I'm sure it was. Can anyone confirm this?

My old man is a C*s fan and when I asked him about Hepworth the first thing he said was that he could kick the ball to the moon! So I think you are right. He also said as a C*s fan he was disapointed they let him go.

Edited by petesmithfan, 05 March 2011 - 11:21 AM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users