Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Manchester uni charging £9k tuition fees

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#141 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

We made the decision to enter clearing to hope to get some ABB students. I don't think we can complete with the Russell group universities but according to my boss we are 'close' to our target which was increased from last year. We haven't experienced the oft quoted 9% drop in applications since the 9k (8k in our case) fees came in. I think this is down to being a STEM subject and being located in Manchester.

I'm going onto the BSc Chemistry at MMU, that's hopefully to be full again next year.Though if a third of those actually turn up to lectures it'll be a surprise.

Edited by archibald, 17 August 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#142 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Ah, I remember the heady days when I got a mortgage

"Hello, I'm interested a mortgage please."

"Brilliant, how much would you like?

"We've only just started looking so we're not sure. How much can I have?"

"Hang on, just type in a few details.....Here we go. £870,000. I'm afraid it's because you only have a small deposit. I can start arranging it for you now if you like"

Verbatim. I almost fell of my chair. How the hell I would have repaid it...

In my capacity as an IFA, I refused to take on business from quite a few mortgage applicants on the basis they were over stretching their finances. However, there were many 'advisers' waiting to pounce. 125% mortgages and people borrowing over 25 years to fund a car/caravan was ridiculous. Banks were once falling over each other in their desire to lend excessive loans, and all under poor regulation from the FSA.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#143 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

I'm going onto the BSc Chemistry at MMU, that's hopefully to be full again next year.Though if a third of those actually turn up to lectures it'll be a surprise.

I wouldn't worry about the lectures.  I did chemistry and hardly ever went to a lecture as they were very inconveniently scheduled to coincide with my morning hangover.

I basically read three books -

Physical Chemistry by Atkins

Inorganic Chemistry by Shriver, Atkins and Langford

Advanced Organic Chemistry - Reactions, Mechanisms and Structures by March

Read those to the point where you actually understand them, and you'll get your degree.  You won't know any chemistry, but you'll pass the exams easily.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users