Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tonka

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

There are allsorts of rumours flying around about him, i hope if Sunday is his last game before he tries SL he goes out with a bang.

Not sure who Fax fans think they support but they reckon he was going there til Hudds came in with a deal....... i find it hard to believe that a player of his calibre would want to leave the best pack and team in the division for a mid table one, they must think that Fax are a big fish in the RL world
PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#2 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

He looked like he was off to Fax at Widnes when he scored and pointed to his Fev badge in fact by his gesture he looked like he was packing up and going to Bramley. :wacko:
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#3 SamG

SamG
  • Coach
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Don't care where he goes, he did his best for Fev, got coached well, and responded to it,

I can live with all of them going (If rumour is to believed, Tonka, Kain, Saxton, Cockayne, Hepworth and others)

They all stood up for us this year.

We'll respond, the guys coming in next year will step up, or be farmed out, and we'll do well again.

Next year we'll probably finish the season in the same place, lose another 3 guys to super league, and move on

Worse case scenario for us in the next 3 years, we don't go up, have a strong competitive club, and continue to dominate the championship

What as fans we have to do is support the team, and more importantly the club, and recognise that were moving on constantly, raising standards.

Win or lose Sunday, we've had another season where we've WON, regardless of the result

#4 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hopefully after sunday all this transfer speculation will come out. About all of the rumors and to be honest i cant see more than 6 going .Unless its to super dooper league. Because can you really see powell getting rid of players?. But if he does im sure he will replace them with better players.

Also i think we have the best coach in the league by a mile and whatever powell does im certain it will make us a better team.

Edited by thundergaz, 29 September 2011 - 11:29 AM.

#5 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hopefully after sunday all this transfer speculation will come out. About all of the rumors and to be honest i cant see more than 6 going .Unless its to super dooper league. Because can you really see powell getting rid of players?.

Well yes I can Gaz. There will be players who haven't figured much who will move on. Positions identified where we need strengthening - which will see players moving on - neither likely to attract SL offers - and of course genuine opportunities for players to progress and I'm certain Tonka will/and deserves his opportunity in SL. There may be one or two others, who knows.

It's always happened. We have finished top 2 years running and with possibly Fax and perhaps Batley, we are in a better position than most clubs in our league to attract the better players.

Some will go - I'll bet if you ask Daryl or the BoD they will be as confident of repeating this last two seasons successes again next year!

Edited by Robin Evans, 29 September 2011 - 11:57 AM.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#6 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

Well yes I can Gaz. There will be players who haven't figured much who will move on. Positions identified where we need strengthening - which will see players moving on - neither likely to attract SL offers - and of course genuine opportunities for players to progress and I'm certain Tonka will/and deserves his opportunity in SL. There may be one or two others, who knows.

It's always happened. We have finished top 2 years running and with possibly Fax and perhaps Batley, we are in a better position than most clubs in our league to attract the better players.

Some will go - I'll bet if you ask Daryl or the BoD they will be as confident of repeating this last two seasons successes again next year!

Next year i feel their will be only 4 teams in it, Fev, Fax, Batley, and sheffield, Leigh are on their arris totally and are staring implosion in the face, Barrow......Well CC1 if there is any justice.

The problem is MONEY !!!!!, Crowds have decreased accross the whole of Championship this year, Fev have suffered a decrease in crowds i beleive, Leigh have been unable to increase theirs, Fax have been about the same if not lower, Perhaps batley have gained a few paying supporters. Therfore Business plans for the following year will have to reflect this or the ones that dont will be walking the thin white line that nis the salary cap breach. ( its not just about the 300k its about the 40% of turnover to a maxiumum of £300k )

#7 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'm sure i've read somewhere that the salary cap is decreasing again next year?
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#8 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

Next year i feel their will be only 4 teams in it, Fev, Fax, Batley, and sheffield, Leigh are on their arris totally and are staring implosion in the face, Barrow......Well CC1 if there is any justice.

The problem is MONEY !!!!!, Crowds have decreased accross the whole of Championship this year, Fev have suffered a decrease in crowds i beleive, Leigh have been unable to increase theirs, Fax have been about the same if not lower, Perhaps batley have gained a few paying supporters. Therfore Business plans for the following year will have to reflect this or the ones that dont will be walking the thin white line that nis the salary cap breach. ( its not just about the 300k its about the 40% of turnover to a maxiumum of £300k )

On crowds, i can do exact figures if need be but roughly below are whats happened

Leigh's went up by 300
Batley stayed same
Sheffield up by 100
but after that

Fax were the biggest losers Nearly 500 down
fev down 310
Barrow 300

I'll do exact ones at tea time

Edited by Paul Gibbins, 29 September 2011 - 12:48 PM.

PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#9 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:42 PM

Dont think Fax lost 500 as the RFL encouraged them to put down 4500 when there was around 2000 just so Fax could meet the RFL propaganda.
My concern is the poor management of the championship by the RFL and the lack of interest now from hardcore fans. Crowds will drop again next year as Swinton replace Widnes. The world is in a financial mess and so sponsorship is harder to get and maybe accepting less money. I feel the RFL dont have a clue about how to run our game and the likes of Wood,Rimmer and bj mather fill me with fear for the game outside sl. I dont think Fax and Fev will ever see sl with people like this running and ruining our game

#10 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Dont think Fax lost 500 as the RFL encouraged them to put down 4500 when there was around 2000 just so Fax could meet the RFL propaganda.
My concern is the poor management of the championship by the RFL and the lack of interest now from hardcore fans. Crowds will drop again next year as Swinton replace Widnes. The world is in a financial mess and so sponsorship is harder to get and maybe accepting less money. I feel the RFL dont have a clue about how to run our game and the likes of Wood,Rimmer and bj mather fill me with fear for the game outside sl. I dont think Fax and Fev will ever see sl with people like this running and ruining our game

The RFL told you to report a crowd of nearly 5000 when there were 2000?? so did they pay your VAT on the extra numbers then??
Me thinks it was Halifax who reported the attendance so it has to be taken as read.whether it was correct or not but even without that your attendances would have been 350 down.

I agree that something needs doing to halt the slide in attendances across the board, to be fair Widnes away travellers are poor considering what they could be, can't say they've brought more than 400 to fev in each of the last 3 years (not that i think Swinton will bring many). it is the home support all clubs need to target increasing, then the away followers will sort of take care of itself.
PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#11 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:46 PM

The RFL told you to report a crowd of nearly 5000 when there were 2000?? so did they pay your VAT on the extra numbers then??
Me thinks it was Halifax who reported the attendance so it has to be taken as read.whether it was correct or not but even without that your attendances would have been 350 down.

I agree that something needs doing to halt the slide in attendances across the board, to be fair Widnes away travellers are poor considering what they could be, can't say they've brought more than 400 to fev in each of the last 3 years (not that i think Swinton will bring many). it is the home support all clubs need to target increasing, then the away followers will sort of take care of itself.

And bigger home support breeds bigger away following;

#12 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

And bigger home support breeds bigger away following;

exactly my point Phil
PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:20 PM

Can you answer this for me Paul, 'cos I'm a little bit confused: Do those who get in on free tickets count towards the attendance? If so, that's how Fax could have lied about their attendance without having to pay VAT. Personally, I think the attendance criteria is a load of bunkum, shouldn't gate receipts and other takings on the day be more relevant? After all, Fax were getting three times as many as Wakey & Salford when they were in Super league before!

#14 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Can you answer this for me Paul, 'cos I'm a little bit confused: Do those who get in on free tickets count towards the attendance? If so, that's how Fax could have lied about their attendance without having to pay VAT. Personally, I think the attendance criteria is a load of bunkum, shouldn't gate receipts and other takings on the day be more relevant? After all, Fax were getting three times as many as Wakey & Salford when they were in Super league before!

Free tickets were handed out at the Halifax Fayre on Manor Heath the week before allegedly and they were counted even though many didnt actually turn up. As regards the Tax man I would guess that a club would have to show who has payed money and how much amount to a Tax Insppector. The VAT man is not interested in how many people turn up but more who has payed and what is taxable and what is not

#15 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:09 PM

What's the point of having an attendance criteria then, if all you have to do is print free tickets? Maybe it would be better to lower the target figure to 2,000 and only measure those paying at the gate, season tickets sold, and those in the sponsors boxes? Then free tickets could be used for their intended purpose- attracting new support, rather than massaging the figures to tick a box!

#16 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Free tickets were handed out at the Halifax Fayre on Manor Heath the week before allegedly and they were counted even though many didnt actually turn up. As regards the Tax man I would guess that a club would have to show who has payed money and how much amount to a Tax Insppector. The VAT man is not interested in how many people turn up but more who has payed and what is taxable and what is not

That's how it was when I was a VAT man LLL

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,951 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:56 PM

Back on topic!

If this is Tonkas last game (for now) in a Fev shirt - I'd just like to wish him all the best - but for now I hope he busts Sheffield to bits on Sunday in one last charge from the front for Rovers!

We'll keep thi shirt warm for thi owd lad if you ever need it again!!

Cheers big man.
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#18 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

What's the point of having an attendance criteria then, if all you have to do is print free tickets? Maybe it would be better to lower the target figure to 2,000 and only measure those paying at the gate, season tickets sold, and those in the sponsors boxes? Then free tickets could be used for their intended purpose- attracting new support, rather than massaging the figures to tick a box!

Hate the game, not the players, The RFL make the rules, the free tickets counting even though people dont turn up has been used for years by many clubs, including SL clubs.

#19 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

Back on topic!

If this is Tonkas last game (for now) in a Fev shirt - I'd just like to wish him all the best - but for now I hope he busts Sheffield to bits on Sunday in one last charge from the front for Rovers!

We'll keep thi shirt warm for thi owd lad if you ever need it again!!

Cheers big man.

And I'm sure that the majority of Fev fans will be cheering you on as long as it's a SL club you move on to, just like we do for Zac and Danny Kirmond!

Many fans of other clubs are wondering how we manage to attract their players to come here, but if they too have aspirations for SL then Fev is probably the best place to come to to develop their game under the guidance of Daryl Powell. It's what we were famous for before Super League, bringing on youngsters or bargain signings from other clubs. As long as players are allowed to move on up with our blessing, this is bound to attract top quality replacements wanting to step into their shoes.

#20 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

On crowds, i can do exact figures if need be but roughly below are whats happened

Leigh's went up by 300
Batley stayed same
Sheffield up by 100
but after that

Fax were the biggest losers Nearly 500 down
fev down 310
Barrow 300

I'll do exact ones at tea time

As at 3rd August for all CC and CC1 clubs:

Team, 2010 av, 2011 av, change

Batley 1058 1132, +74
Barrow 1717, 1543, -174
Dewsbury 1196, 1039, -157
Featherstone 1919, 1589, -330
Halifax, 2509, 2097, -412
Hunslet, 620, 833, +213 (promoted)
Keighley, 1083, 829, -254 (relegated)
Leigh, 2144, 2397, +253
Sheffield, 1308, 1230, -78
Toulouse, 1438, 1376, -62
Whitehaven, 999, 904, -95 (relegated)
Widnes, 3021, 3705, +684
York, 747, 1214, +467 (promoted)
Doncaster, 571, 616, +45
Gateshead, 374, 274, -100
London S, 413, 376, -37
Workington, 462, 597, +135
Oldham, 831, 644, -187
Rochdale, 606, 562, -44
S Wales, 468, 570, +102
Swinton, 383, 562, +179

9 clubs up, 12 down
Overall change +222 although in effect due to Widnes and their 'promotion'. take them out and it's a fall of 462

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users