Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

The Rugby League Twitter trending thread

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#1 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

Can anyone spotting a Rugby League topic trending on Twitter please list it in this thread.
What was the subject, when did it trend and, if possible, for how long.
We were criticised for an article by Tom Coates in this week's League Express that claimed that Rangi Chase was the first British Rugby League subject to trend, which wasn't true.
It would be excellent if we could get a continuous thread in which all examples of Rugby League trending on Twitter could be cited.
Hope this works out.
Many thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.

#2 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

Can anyone spotting a Rugby League topic trending on Twitter please list it in this thread.
What was the subject, when did it trend and, if possible, for how long.
We were criticised for an article by Tom Coates in this week's League Express that claimed that Rangi Chase was the first British Rugby League subject to trend, which wasn't true.
It would be excellent if we could get a continuous thread in which all examples of Rugby League trending on Twitter could be cited.
Hope this works out.
Many thanks in anticipation of your cooperation.

Widnes were trending worldwide when we were promoted apparently.

#3 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Might be an idea to get it pinned to save having to hunt through pages to find it as time passes.

I know Keith Senior has trended at least once when the Crusaders fall out was occurring and possibly once more before that.

#4 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

Ganson has also trended this season.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

Ganson has also trended this season.

and if he ever reads your rants..... you maybe be twattered Posted Image

#6 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

Not sure Twitter existed in 2001 :wink:

#7 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

Rob Burrow during the Grand Final.

Joel Tomkins over his Union switch.

England during the 4 Nations last year.

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Most definitely.

The important word is of course 'Worldwide' in that sentence. I'm not sure if any other British club has achieved this feat, Manly and Melbourne have though.

#9 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

Ok what's a "trend"?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#10 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Without going into technical details that might scare you off, the trending topics are the most talked about subjects on twitter at any one point in time. Not worked out quite as simple in practice, but that's the basic idea.

(Maximus posted a link in the other twitter thread if you want baffling stats about how they work them out)
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#11 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

Not sure Twitter existed in 2001 :wink:

Certainly didn't in 1895

Yours sincerely
A Techno-know-nowt
:huh:

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#12 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

what's the hashtag for England v France this weekend?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#13 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:26 PM

#RLFraEng, I assume

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#14 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

I like a V in the middle (#RLFRAvENG )but am hoping the RFL, England RL or Max give us a lead

Currently #RLEngland and plain #rugbyleague seem to being used

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

#Grumble
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:58 AM

Just had the inaugural RL Twitter awards announced see here

Just a bit of fun but it does show the way RL has done really well via the use of twitter and you might find some people you want to follow

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:40 AM

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the person who made those awards.

She was openly hostile to the game specific hashtags that we came up with only to massively contradict herself as soon as Super League released theirs, even advertising it to everyone.

#18 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the person who made those awards.

She was openly hostile to the game specific hashtags that we came up with only to massively contradict herself as soon as Super League released theirs, even advertising it to everyone.

Each to their own and all that, maybe she changed her mind? Anyway, just posted it to do my bit to spread TGG

#19 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Ah it was only an opinion, it was a decent article.

I'd be surprised if she went from actively against to supporting the idea within a week. It epitomised the attitude of many RL fans, negative to any idea but when it comes from an official source they jump on it.

#20 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

True, we are known for our finding fault first....praise being something we appear to battle against giving, a British trait rather than just RL

IMO you have done brill, and the rest of us are trying, but you can't make people like something we do - we were never out to convince everyone, just a new idea to try, in order to bring together TGG fans and spread the word

As for bandwaggoning...yep, more the merrier AFAIC the sport is not in a strong enough position to bother arguing the toss over the behaviour of some fans as opposed to others - we need them all - through the turnstiles preferably

Edited by amh, 23 October 2011 - 11:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users