TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

magic weekend

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

so, they're trying to spread the game to manchester now. :rolleyes:
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#2 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hoping to make a crowd appear! :rolleyes:

More chance of making hope disappear. <_<

Paul Daniels, the new chief exec of the RFL :wacko:
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

so, they're trying to spread the game to manchester now. :rolleyes:

others appear less nihilistic.

http://www.totalrl.c...-magic-weekend/

Magic weekend isn't about 'spreading the game' : but no matter
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:59 PM

i stand corrected, but i can't help wondering why they took it to cardiff in the first place, and then edinburgh when cardiff wasn't available. as you say, no matter
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#5 IanFalkiner

IanFalkiner
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Magic Weekend WAS originally an attempt by the RFL to spread the RL game further afield, however the format seems to have been changed annually. Now as far as I can see it is just a money-making scheme or fills a slot for SKY. The poor Super League player keep saying how they play too many games, this is one that could be scrapped.

#6 Paul Gibbins

Paul Gibbins
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

All the magic weekend does is make average attendances go up of teams with not much support such as London whover they are, Crusaders when they existed, Salford and Wakefield making the game at the top level look like it has thriving crowds and justify why a team in the capital can attract only 2500 spectators to a game where Fev for instance would obtain more.

It was originally to spread the word of Superleague..... I will not say Rugby League as the brand of RL isbeing decimated, and as it has failed miserably ever since it inception they now say it isn't about spreading the word....... utter tosh
PAUL GIBBINS

Wall and Floor Tiling
Plastering

Bathroom fitting
Fencing
Guttering

Insurance work
Free Quotes

www.funkytilers.co.uk

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

i stand corrected, but i can't help wondering why they took it to cardiff in the first place, and then edinburgh when cardiff wasn't available. as you say, no matter

because both places are good to enjoy rugby in and have a jolly up-you know, enjoying yourself and that
Keeping it local

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

I enjoy me sen at Fev. leaving the magic weekend to others while i sit under a cloud at home eating worms going "Bah bleeding humbug" is what i do.
Www.grumpygingerbloke.com
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

Magic Weekend WAS originally an attempt by the RFL to spread the RL game further afield, however the format seems to have been changed annually. Now as far as I can see it is just a money-making scheme or fills a slot for SKY. The poor Super League player keep saying how they play too many games, this is one that could be scrapped.

hope this helps

http://en.wikipedia....i/Magic_Weekend
Keeping it local

#10 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

Ah yes, wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge.

Thought intellects knew to take what is on there with a pinch of salt as it can be updated by anyone. :rolleyes:

If its all true, can't understand why I wasn't allowed to reference it for my degree. <_<

#11 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

Ah yes, wikipedia, the fountain of all knowledge.

Thought intellects knew to take what is on there with a pinch of salt as it can be updated by anyone. :rolleyes:

If its all true, can't understand why I wasn't allowed to reference it for my degree. <_<

I don't trust wikipedia all that much myself.
where did you get your information from on the subject?

magic weekend is just that a weekend.

Magic Weekend is a festival of Rugby League, not a missionary project.

looking forward to it.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 22 November 2011 - 06:27 PM.

Keeping it local

#12 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

because both places are good to enjoy rugby in and have a jolly up-you know, enjoying yourself and that

benidorm next time then,tsk there are some among us that think life is but a joke.
that's it, i'm done

Edited by oldrover, 22 November 2011 - 06:56 PM.

joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#13 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

....Magic Weekend is a festival of Rugby League, not a missionary project....

Not exactly what Richard Lewis (the RFL's Executive Chairman) said back in 2007: "We want to build on both the Rugby League supporters' liking for the Millennium Stadium and the progress Rugby League is making as a sport in Wales."

Implying that the reason for going to Wales was to generate more interest in RL in wales, which implies to me that it WAS a missionary project.
I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#14 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Not exactly what Richard Lewis (the RFL's Executive Chairman) said back in 2007: "We want to build on both the Rugby League supporters' liking for the Millennium Stadium and the progress Rugby League is making as a sport in Wales."

Implying that the reason for going to Wales was to generate more interest in RL in wales, which implies to me that it WAS a missionary project.

I don't think so

proper 'missionary projects' have established a constituency for rugby league in Wales.
Playing big games in wales recognises this. Of course generating more interest in Rugby League is a benefit and this was what Lewis was alluding to, but hardly the purpose: that purpose is being fulfilled day in day out
Keeping it local

#15 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

benidorm next time then,tsk there are some among us that think life is but a joke.
that's it, i'm done

there are also some among us also who think that life is a puerile witless joke and a gratuitous personal insult.

Benidorm and enjoyment used in the same 'sentence': I'm struggling with that.
Keeping it local

#16 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

Don't know why we are bothered what its supposed to do won't effect Fev one bit, They can have it on the mood for me, expansion, celebration call it what you like I won't be going or watching my cash will be spent at fev..... :wacko:

#17 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

Don't know why we are bothered what its supposed to do won't effect Fev one bit, They can have it on the mood for me, expansion, celebration call it what you like I won't be going or watching my cash will be spent at fev..... :wacko:

absolutely: we all enjoy our sport in our own way.

just as a matter of interest, what would be your feeling about a Championship Magic Weekend?
Keeping it local

#18 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

Championship weekend...........

A big YES from me, not only from a rugby point of view, but as a social event.

The venue would have to be chosen carefully and its a chance for supporters from each club to mix and be merry. I, like a lot of others have many friends from other championship clubs and would be good to get them all together to talk all things rugby. :biggrin:

(And FrankB buying the beer of course :wink: )

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,643 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Championship weekend...........

A big YES from me, not only from a rugby point of view, but as a social event.

The venue would have to be chosen carefully and its a chance for supporters from each club to mix and be merry. I, like a lot of others have many friends from other championship clubs and would be good to get them all together to talk all things rugby. :biggrin:

(And FrankB buying the beer of course :wink: )

there you are then.

I'd love it just love it
:smile:
Keeping it local

#20 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,387 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

As I said to a mate o' mine last night, I wouldn't watch a SL magic weekend if I was picked up in a Limo, someone paid for my ticket, my ale and (all) my pies and arranged for a tumble with Nigella on the way home while Muddy Waters was playing in the background!

However, a championship weekend with The likes of some of the Batley lads, those reprobates from Leigh, the lads n lasses from Barrow et al, at a ground like Post Office Road, Lawkholme lane, even the Shay etc in my opinion would be an absolute blast!
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)