Defunct grounds of current clubs

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#61 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

watched highfield at houghton road sutton st helens, the old st helens town football ground and chorley at victory park chorley

#62 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

That was opposite Park Avenue, on the other side of Horton Park Avenue (and the former railway line) and on what was, until a few years ago, a cricket field. Not certain about this, but I think that when the railway cutting was filled in, the land, along with the cricket field was sold for building. I remember playing cricket on that ground many years ago.....

Where was that? If I remember rightly (and it's a while since I lived there - although I could see Park Avenue out of my window on Dirkhill Road) there was a cricket pitch on the corner of Horton Park Avenue and Laisteridge Lane (?). Is that the one you are talking about or is that still there?

Alternatively, it must be the area between Park Avenue and All Saints Road - which is where the railway line ran, I think. There didn't look a lot of space there when I was there long after the railway had gone, let alone when it was there.
People called Romans they go the house

#63 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

Burnden Park was home to selected Swinton games in the 80's

Also seen Sheffield Eagles play against the Lions at Millmoor, Rotherham and they also played some games at Saltergate, Chesterfield.

All 3 of these are now gone, though Millmoor is still standing-not sure if the new Rotherham stadium is to be built on the same site though.

#64 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Oldham have played home games at:-
Watersheddings
Boundary Park
Park Lane - Sedgley Park RUFC
Hurst Cross – Ashton United FC
Ewan Fields – Hyde United FC
Bower Fold – Staylybridge Celtic FC
Maine Road – Man City
Bloomfield Road – Blackpool FC
Whitebank Stadium
And I am sure I have missed somewhere.

#65 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Where was that? If I remember rightly (and it's a while since I lived there - although I could see Park Avenue out of my window on Dirkhill Road) there was a cricket pitch on the corner of Horton Park Avenue and Laisteridge Lane (?). Is that the one you are talking about or is that still there?

Alternatively, it must be the area between Park Avenue and All Saints Road - which is where the railway line ran, I think. There didn't look a lot of space there when I was there long after the railway had gone, let alone when it was there.

Your two alternatives are the same ground. It was between All Saints Road and Horton Park Avenue with Laisteridge Lane up the side, virtually on the opposite side of Horton Park Avenue to the Park Avenue ground. The railway definitely ran between the ground and Horton Park Avenue. From what I remember (in the 1960's when I played junior league cricket there) it would have been small for a rugby ground but big enough. I think too we have to remember that the railways only started (in Bradford) in the mid 1840's, so it's far from inconceivable to think that that the local line along Park Avenue hadn't yet been built in 1863, which could have meant the ground was a good bit larger than either of us imagine.

I've not been down there for many years but the ground isn't shown on modern street maps. The book isn't absolutely specific about this first ground though, but this one is the only one that makes any sense with the description given. Obviously I've no idea what else might have been around in 1863 so it might not be a correct assumption.

Edited by Bulliac, 06 January 2012 - 12:01 PM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#66 raiders4sl

raiders4sl
  • Coach
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

Ive been chatting elsewhere as towhat now are the oldest grounds still in operation, Belle vue, wakey, Headingley,or Mount pleasant?

I know that Craven Park (Barrow) has been used by Barrow RLFC since 1931.

#67 Egg

Egg
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

I know that Craven Park (Barrow) has been used by Barrow RLFC since 1931.

Post office road, 1904

#68 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

The book isn't absolutely specific about this first ground though, but this one is the only one that makes any sense with the description given. Obviously I've no idea what else might have been around in 1863 so it might not be a correct assumption.

Never mind Nigel.....

First season 1863 on Horton Cricket Ground, All saints road.

Yorkshire CC had played Notts that year on the ground....

They (Bradford) ripped up the pitch so they got chucked off.

So they went to Laisteridge Lane. After that they went on to North Park Road in Manningham.

Nomadic existence continued as they then went on to Peel Park, and then Girlington. After that they went to Apperley Bridge where they would return to after the club decided to switch to soccer.

Bradford CC played on Pemberton Drive opposite the university and went on in 1879 to buy Park Avenue. That needed the help of the Rugby Club, but Bradford Cricket, Athletic and Football Club was the result £4,000 later.

The club's headquarters were at the Talbot Darley Street, and later The Alexandra Great Horton Road that has associations with the barbarians.

After the soccer split the club chased the ground at Bowling Old Lane. However they failed to get it and ended up (after chasing Victoria Rangers ground at Stanacre) at the greenfield stadium off cutler heights lane. That later became a greyhound stadium.

They based themselves at the Greenfield Hotel, a Whittakers Brewery pub. I have a repro tin advertisment for Whittakers.

One year on from the opening 1907 game, they got B.O.L. at Birch Lane and spent 26 years there. I think that ground is still there and there are the old turnstyle entrances in the outer wall and there's foundations of a stand in one of the adjacent back gardens in houses that were built on the end of the old Rugby pitch.

So there you go, not bad for someone accused of being a multiple account troll by Mick Gledhill :laugh:

#69 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

Your two alternatives are the same ground. It was between All Saints Road and Horton Park Avenue with Laisteridge Lane up the side, virtually on the opposite side of Horton Park Avenue to the Park Avenue ground. The railway definitely ran between the ground and Horton Park Avenue. From what I remember (in the 1960's when I played junior league cricket there) it would have been small for a rugby ground but big enough. I think too we have to remember that the railways only started (in Bradford) in the mid 1840's, so it's far from inconceivable to think that that the local line along Park Avenue hadn't yet been built in 1863, which could have meant the ground was a good bit larger than either of us imagine.

I've not been down there for many years but the ground isn't shown on modern street maps. The book isn't absolutely specific about this first ground though, but this one is the only one that makes any sense with the description given. Obviously I've no idea what else might have been around in 1863 so it might not be a correct assumption.

Horton Park Station was opened in 1880 - more here.

I've had a look at Google Maps, too. The cricket ground I was referring to was on the other side of Laisteridge Lane on the opposite corner to the other area we are talking about - Girlington Cricket Club according to the map, but I don't remember it as that.

It must have been a small ground, as that is a tight space in there.

#70 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

Never mind Nigel.....

So they went to Laisteridge Lane. After that they went on to North Park Road in Manningham.

Nomadic existence continued as they then went on to Peel Park, and then Girlington. After that they went to Apperley Bridge where they would return to after the club decided to switch to soccer.

Bradford CC played on Pemberton Drive opposite the university and went on in 1879 to buy Park Avenue. That needed the help of the Rugby Club, but Bradford Cricket, Athletic and Football Club was the result £4,000 later.

The club's headquarters were at the Talbot Darley Street, and later The Alexandra Great Horton Road that has associations with the barbarians.

After the soccer split the club chased the ground at Bowling Old Lane. However they failed to get it and ended up (after chasing Victoria Rangers ground at Stanacre) at the greenfield stadium off cutler heights lane. That later became a greyhound stadium.

They based themselves at the Greenfield Hotel, a Whittakers Brewery pub. I have a repro tin advertisment for Whittakers.

One year on from the opening 1907 game, they got B.O.L. at Birch Lane and spent 26 years there. I think that ground is still there and there are the old turnstyle entrances in the outer wall and there's foundations of a stand in one of the adjacent back gardens in houses that were built on the end of the old Rugby pitch.

So there you go, not bad for someone accused of being a multiple account troll by Mick Gledhill :laugh:

I've been working from memory on this thread, though I did get the book out yesterday to check the details, and I'd certainly forgotten the name of the cricket club, though I don't think Horton Cricket Club has existed for many years. I certainly don't remember that being the name of the cricket club using the ground in the 1960's, though to be honest I can't remember what it was. I think it's also worthwhile pointing out that the 1863 date for the club might not be exactly when the club was formed. That year is just the date on the first written evidence of the club's existence (as mentioned in the book) and it's far from inconceivable that it could have been a little earlier.

#71 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

Horton Park Station was opened in 1880 - more here.

I've had a look at Google Maps, too. The cricket ground I was referring to was on the other side of Laisteridge Lane on the opposite corner to the other area we are talking about - Girlington Cricket Club according to the map, but I don't remember it as that.

It must have been a small ground, as that is a tight space in there.

Little Horton is a fair way from Girlington too!

As I mentioned in my reply to Parksider I've had the book out and it seems it was the other one, which was pretty much opposite Park Avenue. Looking at the railway site it seems the line wasn't built until well after the Bradford Rugby Club moved in, so it would have been a slightly larger area than it appeared later.

Going back to the book (as in Parky's post) there were a number of grounds used, sometimes for fairly short periods, over a number of years, many of which have disappeared, covered in houses or factories, and in many cases it's pretty difficult to pin down just where some of these grounds might have been.

#72 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Never mind Nigel.....

I think I can remember the greyhound stadium on Cutler Heights Lane still being there in the sixties. I used to work Saturdays on Newboulds bread vans, and passed it on the way to work. On the way from work, I used to finish about 2-30 catch the trolley bus up to Wakefield Road, catch the no 61 Wakefield bus - sit upstairs and hope the conductor hadn't noticed I'd got on - then ride all the way to Wakey for nowt, walk to Belle Vue and arrive at half time - where you could get in for nowt a free afternoon's entertainment. (apart from the trolley bus) That's how I saw Brian Bevan play for Warrington :tongue:

Edited by Trojan, 08 January 2012 - 04:05 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#73 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

Never mind Nigel.....

Great stuff, thanks.

#74 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think I can remember the greyhound stadium on Cutler Heights Lane still being there in the sixties. I used to work Saturdays on Newboulds bread vans, and passed it on the way to work. On the way from work, I used to finish about 2-30 catch the trolley bus up to Wakefield Road, catch the no 61 Wakefield bus - sit upstairs and hope the conductor hadn't noticed I'd got on - then ride all the way to Wakey for nowt, walk to Belle Vue and arrive at half time - where you could get in for nowt a free afternoon's entertainment. (apart from the trolley bus) That's how I saw Brian Bevan play for Warrington :tongue:

Not sure just when it went top be honest, which is a bit embarrassing as I live just half a mile along the road, it was certainly left derelict for some time after the sixties though I'm not sure if it was still there when I moved around here in 1977. The site is now occupied by a massive fruit and veg packing site belonging to Morrisons.

#75 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

hunslet grounds no longer called home grounds
parkside great ground
elland road dog track remember the night they beat the mighty widnes there in the bbc 2 trophy
mount plesant they spent time there as well
crown flatt yet another home ground
mclaren field a season there i seem to remember
elland road

bramleys grounds
barley mow
mclaren field
clarence fields headingley rugby union they spent a season there
headingley there final home

been to the lot watching those teams

of course back in the 70s hunslet played a home game at headingley due to bad weather i belive bradford also did .

maine road was used for home games by both warrington and oldham over the space of 3 days in the 80s
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#76 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,970 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

Back in the 70s hunslet played a home game at headingley due to bad weather

They played their away game at Headingley on 21st. December 1968, and after it snowed the following week switched the return home game to Headingley.

I was delighted because it got televised. I didn't go away then! We got a big gate for it so that helped the club!!

I often wish I could see the recording of that match, but they used to wipe the tapes I think.

#77 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:36 PM

I thought the old PARKSIDE ground was wonderful .Wish some one could post a pic of that place

There's a picture of Parkside here
http://www.secretlee...308&HighLight=1
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#78 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

theres a number of photos on a facebook site called
your leeds ( un-noticed past & present )
that i added a few months back
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#79 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Iwent to old Parkside as young boy taken by adults,but my main memory was when we went as young lads going on the bus from the corn exchange and it seemed like an awful long journey in 1961 ,the season following Leeds won the championship and I saw then the passion for Hunslet by those people .I heard them say "Shaw wont play for GB again ,now he's up there [Leeds]".I used to go there later,but like old Belle vue ,what great places they were when they were in their original state .I still hear old Hunslet people in pubs in town saying how much they dislike Leeds .What a great loss
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#80 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Burnden Park was home to selected Swinton games in the 80's

When Swinton were first promoted they Played Saints there as their first home game back in the 1980's, as well as Bradford and someone else who I can't remember, I don't think we won any, they were close games.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users