Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Defunct grounds of current clubs

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#81 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Ive been chatting elsewhere as towhat now are the oldest grounds still in operation, Belle vue, wakey, Headingley,or Mount pleasant?

The first Rugby (sic) game at Mount Pleasant was in 1880 and Batley have never played at any other home ground as far as I am aware.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#82 LiondressedasRam

LiondressedasRam
  • Players
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

When Swinton were first promoted they Played Saints there as their first home game back in the 1980's, as well as Bradford and someone else who I can't remember, I don't think we won any, they were close games.

I saw us play Wigan there I'm guessing in '85 or '86 - from memory, one of Joe Grima's earliest game for us - and no I don't think the score was close!

#83 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

of course back in the 70s hunslet played a home game at headingley due to bad weather i belive bradford also did .

I can't remember any league games but I can remember a cup match against Wakey being played there (I think) back in the seventies. Odsal was unfit, too much mud apparently, so Northern were forced to move the game to a neutral ground for our home draw. I think it was 8 apiece and the replay was taken to Belle Vue where we lost ( I think Neil Fox scored the winning try under the sticks)on a pitch which was deeper in mud than anything I've ever seen at Odsal.

I think it was one of those winters where a backlog had built up and the RFL were getting desperate, I certainly can't imagine how else the game would have been played on such a shocking pitch. It certainly annoyed the Bradford fans though, as the field was far worse than our ground and we'd been forced to concede home advantage.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#84 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:05 PM

I saw us play Wigan there I'm guessing in '85 or '86 - from memory, one of Joe Grima's earliest game for us - and no I don't think the score was close!

No, ha ha, I didn't mean the Wigan one, I think Bradford was 0-8, Saints was about 14 or 12 points
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#85 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I can't remember any league games but I can remember a cup match against Wakey being played there (I think) back in the seventies. Odsal was unfit, too much mud apparently, so Northern were forced to move the game to a neutral ground for our home draw. I think it was 8 apiece and the replay was taken to Belle Vue where we lost ( I think Neil Fox scored the winning try under the sticks)on a pitch which was deeper in mud than anything I've ever seen at Odsal.

I think it was one of those winters where a backlog had built up and the RFL were getting desperate, I certainly can't imagine how else the game would have been played on such a shocking pitch. It certainly annoyed the Bradford fans though, as the field was far worse than our ground and we'd been forced to concede home advantage.

I seem to remember playing Bradford at Headingley in the 1980's, we played there because it was on tv and the BBC wanted to guarentee the tie took place, cant remember the year exactly..
Posted Image

#86 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

I seem to remember playing Bradford at Headingley in the 1980's, we played there because it was on tv and the BBC wanted to guarentee the tie took place, cant remember the year exactly..

It's probably the same match we're remembering, though I don't recollect it being on TV. I do seem to remember they'd tried a couple of times (unsuccessfully) to get the game on at Odsal before it was moved to Headingley. I'm not sure the Beeb would have put on a midweek evening match either, to be honest. For some reason I have the strange feeling the replay was at Belle Vue the very next evening too, which to be fair isn't all that likely really, but that is how I remember it.

#87 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,210 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

It's probably the same match we're remembering, though I don't recollect it being on TV. I do seem to remember they'd tried a couple of times (unsuccessfully) to get the game on at Odsal before it was moved to Headingley. I'm not sure the Beeb would have put on a midweek evening match either, to be honest. For some reason I have the strange feeling the replay was at Belle Vue the very next evening too, which to be fair isn't all that likely really, but that is how I remember it.

In 1983 when Fev won the CC they didn't play at home at all. They were drawn at home in the first round against Batley but P O Road wasn't fit. The tie was played mid-week at Belle Vue to get it out of the way. The pitch may have been playable but the terraces were treacherous. I remember everyone having a quiet snigger when a copper went his length on them :ph34r:
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#88 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

In 1983 when Fev won the CC they didn't play at home at all. They were drawn at home in the first round against Batley but P O Road wasn't fit. The tie was played mid-week at Belle Vue to get it out of the way. The pitch may have been playable but the terraces were treacherous. I remember everyone having a quiet snigger when a copper went his length on them :ph34r:

That's been the case very often at Odsal, though in the match in question, IIRC it was mud, not ice, which was causing the problem. 'Twas a long time ago, - though don't tell the commentary team on Radio Leeds, they still talk about the Odsal mud and it hasn't been muddy for nearly 40 years. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bulliac, 12 January 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#89 JBS

JBS
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953. Another one may be Stanley Greyhound Stadium in Liverpool where Liverpool Stanley played until they became Liverpool City. Stanley Park still exists but I'm not sure about the dog track. And yes, I visited both of them.

#90 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Some nice pictures of the last match at Fartown, 20 years ago this year. Time flies.

Fartown

Huddersfield have had four proper home grounds.

Rifle Field 1866-1878
Fartown 1878-1992
Leeds Road 1992-1994
The Galpharm 1994 to present

Obviously, "home" matches have been elsewhere as well. The Shay last season for example.

Rifle Field was roughly where the Spring Wood car park now is on the other side of the ringroad to the bus centre.

That's me.  I'm done.

#91 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,350 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953.

I don't think they are one and the same JBS I'm afraid. The Rangers played at the Speedway Stadium which ended up being demolished for the Car Auction site. The greyhound stadium is different. Not been clever here as I dropped by the Greyhound stadium but could not reconcile it as a once international RL venue that had a 34,000 crowd for GB.v.Australia, so a bit more careful research and there we go........

#92 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953.

De-lurking to correct this. Belle Vue Rangers played at the Speedway stadium, not the dog track. The Hyde Road Stadium had a capacity of c. 40,000, and at least one RL Test was held there. It was closed and demolished in 1987, and the Belle Vue Aces speedway team moved into the adjacent, but much smaller, greyhound stadium. They now have plans for a purpose built speedway stadium again.

#93 brooza

brooza
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

I've been to the previous ground of St Albans Centurions
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#94 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,793 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:47 AM

Huddersfield have had four proper home grounds.

Rifle Field 1866-1878
Fartown 1878-1992
Leeds Road 1992-1994
The Galpharm 1994 to present

Due to the Sheffield/Huddersfield merger, you could technically include the Owlerton and Don Valley stadiums.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#95 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4852520351/

A picture of Huytons Ground after Knowsley FC took over

(taken by groundhopper27)

Yorks Wiggington Rd

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4835002428/

Wigan

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4834391203/

Hilton Park

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4834389059/

The Boulevards 3d stand

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4834387677/

Tattersfield

http://www.flickr.co...r27/4834994356/

Edited by Bleep1673, 15 January 2012 - 02:58 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#96 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,808 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

Fartown is not defunct, Huddersfield St Joes play their home games there.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#97 Willie the Pimp

Willie the Pimp
  • Coach
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hunslet's first ground was at Woodhouse Hill near the Cemetery Tavern (now Parnaby Tavern). They played there after their formation in 1883 until 1888 and only purchased the land on which they built the Parkside ground on after the then landlord of the Tavern and owner of the Woodhouse Hill site threatened to increase their rent.

#98 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Some great pictures of Parkside here

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#99 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,456 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

That's been the case very often at Odsal, though in the match in question, IIRC it was mud, not ice, which was causing the problem. 'Twas a long time ago, - though don't tell the commentary team on Radio Leeds, they still talk about the Odsal mud and it hasn't been muddy for nearly 40 years. :rolleyes:

Them wuz the days. Grass wor for poofs.

Mind you, Johnny Wolford often walked off, as man of the match, with a cleanish shirt. He rarely took or made a tackle unless it was absolutely necessary.
;) :D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#100 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,554 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

http://www.geograph....uk/photo/649829

the sandy desert castleford's original home

edit: not defunct I know.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 December 2012 - 11:26 AM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local