Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Defunct grounds of current clubs

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#101 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

Some great pictures of Parkside here

Posted Image

That was when we had the great clty derby.great old ground

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 10 December 2012 - 02:22 PM.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#102 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think Bramley played at Whitegate farm before they moved to the Barley Mow.I think Whitegate farm was situated down Pollard lane near the Leeds Liverpool canal
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#103 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Just thought of two others

Blackpool Boroughs Stadium - was it Rigby Road or Borough Park ??

And the once visited never forgotten home of Huyton RLFC - Alt Park !!

I must be too old. I went to Knotty Ash and the Blackpool Greyhound stadium and Chiswick Polytenchnic to see London and later to Brentford

#104 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

According to Ian Proctor and Andrew Farley's 'Stones Bitter Rugby League Directory' Bramley played at Whitegate Farm and Pollard Lane from their founding in 1879 and moving to the Barley Mow in 1890.

#105 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

According to Ian Proctor and Andrew Farley's 'Stones Bitter Rugby League Directory' Bramley played at Whitegate Farm and Pollard Lane from their founding in 1879 and moving to the Barley Mow in 1890.

Thanks
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#106 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Leeds St Johns ,the forerunner of Leeds RFLC before they moved to Headingley used to play at Cardigan fields ,on Kirkstall road.its now Warner village multiplex cinema ,bars restaurants etc.Itused to be recriation grounds and William cody,Buffalo Bill had his wild west shows there

Wasn't Headingley also a part of the Cardigan Estates.? I am sure I read that they purchased the grounds from the Carddigan estates.

#107 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Where was that? If I remember rightly (and it's a while since I lived there - although I could see Park Avenue out of my window on Dirkhill Road) there was a cricket pitch on the corner of Horton Park Avenue and Laisteridge Lane (?). Is that the one you are talking about or is that still there?

Alternatively, it must be the area between Park Avenue and All Saints Road - which is where the railway line ran, I think. There didn't look a lot of space there when I was there long after the railway had gone, let alone when it was there.

I may be suffering a senior moment but I seem to remember reading that Park Avenue had their own railway station way back in the Victorian era.

#108 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

One Lancashire League ground that still exists (although the club doesn't) is Belle Vue Stadium in Manchester where Belle Vue Rangers played until 1953. Another one may be Stanley Greyhound Stadium in Liverpool where Liverpool Stanley played until they became Liverpool City. Stanley Park still exists but I'm not sure about the dog track. And yes, I visited both of them.

Broughton Rangers, the former name of Belle View Rangers, ground at the Cliff, Broughton is still standing and is used by Manchester United youth teams, if I am correct. There is a picture in Trevor Delaneys Book, the grounds of Rugby League.

#109 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I may be suffering a senior moment but I seem to remember reading that Park Avenue had their own railway station way back in the Victorian era.

My apologies. I posted that before I read the excellent link to the Horton Park Railway station. It's good to know however that my memory is still functioning.

#110 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Horton Park Station was opened in 1880 - more here.

I've had a look at Google Maps, too. The cricket ground I was referring to was on the other side of Laisteridge Lane on the opposite corner to the other area we are talking about - Girlington Cricket Club according to the map, but I don't remember it as that.

It must have been a small ground, as that is a tight space in there.

That three pronged line consisting Halifax to Queensbury, Bradford to Queensbury and Keighley to Queensbury, all meeting at a unique triangular station in Queensbury was like a Pennine League and RFL artery.

It had stations at Keighley, Ingrow, a suburb of Keighley and the station is across the road from the old NSF company who had a Keighley junior team, Thornton ( Pennine League ), Clayton, ( Pennine League), Ovenden (NCL), Queensbury ( Pennine League), Halifax and the aforementioned Horton Park Avnue ground.

Sorry about that, history and useless trivia interest me.

#111 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Wasn't Headingley also a part of the Cardigan Estates.? I am sure I read that they purchased the grounds from the Carddigan estates.

Yes you are correct.I think Cardigan fields was like a recreation ground Buffalo Bill had several of his wild west shows there,and he used to drink in the Cardigam Arms

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 10 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#112 weighman

weighman
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

Doncaster York Rd Greyhound Stadium 1951 Dons first ground.

Tattersfield
Stainforth Greyhound Stadium
Belle Vue Doncaster

#113 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hope this link works.

http://www.defunctsp... Workington.htm

As the article accompanying the aerial photo notes - the floods waters show the outline banking of the old Lonsdale Stadium. In the 1930's it hosted Speedway, Football, Greyhound Racing (up to its closure in 1999) and was also the home of Cumberland Rugby League before and after WW2. Workington Town's reserve team also played there.

In the centre/right is the Workington Reds stadium - home of Workington Town until Derwent Park was completed. Derwent Park is to the right of the photo. So all 3 stadiums were within 500 yards of each other.

Note the bridge swept away by the flood water. This is where PC Bill Barker lost his life on that morning of the floods. A dramatic photo showing much history.

#114 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

Not quite, Widnes still play at the same ground, but after major redevelopments.

My List:

Station Road (One of the biggest playing surfaces I have ever seen)
Gigg Lane (Our temporary home, where we scared Sintelins in a cup game)
Moor Lane (A truely dreadful surface that must have made the previous players turn in their duvets)
Borough Park (Right next to Blackpool FC, and the Greyhound Stadium)
Alt Park (One of the worst places I have ever visited)
Wilderspool (Don't wear away colours, said my cousin, how right he was, violent thugs)
Central Park (A superb arena, one of the best for watching RL)
Knowsley Road (I Cycled here to watch Swinton @ Sts to start my speccy career in 77, a Lancs cup defeat, 49-3, but they never gave up)
Thrum Hall (Then back to Colin Dixon's pub)
Fartown (where I played in 1979, Colleges Cup Final, Salford Tech v Hudd Uni)
Most of the London Grounds (See another thread)
The Willows (See another thread, RIP, at least we got closure here)
Tattersfield (A dreadful, sh1thole of a pitch, I remember going here after playing on Station Rd, and wondering, why the hell?)
Brunton Park (My Mam's Mam died when we were returning from the game here in Ladywell Hospital)
The Brewery Field (I was delayed getting there due to a "Passenger Incedent" at Swindon)
Cardiff City's Ground (Forgive me I forget what it was called) (Saw 1984's Kangaroos v Wales here)
Victory Park, Chorley (I had an Epileptic fit on the way back from here)
Athletic Grounds (One of my first away games, in the Cup)
Watersheddings (Almost my 3rd ground I used to spend so much time here, I saw a Wire fan throw an Oldham fan off the top tier of the double stand and then throw his crutches after him in a Lancs Cup game)
Hilton Park (I remember Hull KR winning the Championship here, and celebrating in the main stand before their game was over because the 2nd place team had lost by radio - those were the days)
Elland Road (When New Hunslet used it as their home ground)

actually naughton park/stobart stadium isn't our original ground, we played at a few around the borough before moving to naughton park in the early 1890's.

here's one for the pot how many have played on defunct grounds, i have played at knowsley road, hilton park, station road, the willows, thrum hall, wilderspool, central park and when i played for blackbrook i played against pilks recs at city road home of the late lamented sthelens recs.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 11 December 2012 - 09:29 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#115 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

apart from runcorn highfield widnes also played 2 games at canal street in the late 90's
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#116 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:12 PM

Barrow has played on "a field loaned by a local farmer" (early practice matches circa 1875), the Parade Ground (1875 to circa 1880 ish), Cavendish Park (1875 to 1914 ish), Little Park(1914 ish to 1931) and Craven Park (1931 to date).
They have also played HOME fixtures at both Headingley, Leeds and Naughton Park, Widnes.

A few years ago there was a thread on the Barrow forum re the number of grounds that Barrow RFC and Barrow AFC had both played on - the list was quite long and ranged from Wembley Stadium to the Giant Axe at Lancaster.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users