Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#41 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I've lost my Saki collection (must buy another), but the scheming Clovis Sangrail is one of my favourite literary characters, especially in 'The Unrest Cure'. :D

It was a good collection, as good collections go, and as good collections go....
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#42 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,082 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

reading my way through scandinavian crime novels-the usual suspects on my kindle

just finished Headhunter by Jo Nesbo.

The plots are good, but thge quality of writing is #### sometimes.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#43 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Reading world without end by Ken Follett, his sequel to Pillars of the Earth that was on C4 last year, just got The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian. Both on Kindle
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#44 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Reading world without end by Ken Follett, his sequel to Pillars of the Earth that was on C4 last year, just got The Mauritius Command by Patrick O'Brian. Both on Kindle

Well, there's a coincidence. I started Pillars of the Earth last night. Cracking opening.

That's me.  I'm done.

#45 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thought I needed cheering up a bit so picked up some more Thomas Hardy.

...which I promptly left at someone's house and have therefore given up for now.

I hate it when that happens.

I filled the gap with Adapt, by Tim Harford. Which is excellent.

That's me.  I'm done.

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Currently re-reading Paul Torday's 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen', which is very good. I was put off it when it was first given to me, because the title sounded like some novelty thing like 'Round Ireland with a Fridge*'. It is nothing of the kind and the mixture of letters, emails, diary entries and interview transcriptions works well. Plus, Dr Jones' wife Mary is one seriously ghastly fictional creation.

*although that was quite fun, to be honest.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Currently re-reading Paul Torday's 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen', which is very good. I was put off it when it was first given to me, because the title sounded like some novelty thing like 'Round Ireland with a Fridge*'. It is nothing of the kind and the mixture of letters, emails, diary entries and interview transcriptions works well. Plus, Dr Jones' wife Mary is one seriously ghastly fictional creation.

*although that was quite fun, to be honest**.

** It was daft. I thought most of it just had to be made up. Well, not that I ...errr....read like it. I was on the latest Stephen Hawkings and I just caught a glimpse of it in Dixons' window......

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

** It was daft. I thought most of it just had to be made up. Well, not that I ...errr....read like it. I was on the latest Stephen Hawkings and I just caught a glimpse of it in Dixons' window......

Coincidence - this morning, I have spotted posters for a film of this book. Featuring Ewan McGregor, Emily Blunt and Kristin Scott-Thomas.

Edited by Futtocks, 04 April 2012 - 09:13 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

Kristin Scott-Thomas.

Ahhhh

#50 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just finished Robinson Crusoe, which is a classic I thought I knew about but actually proved a great surprise.

I'm now half way through 'Slipless in Settle, a Slow Turn around Northern Cricket" by Harry Pearson, who has written loads of brilliant light-hearted commentary on various aspects of life in the north of England. The pages are turning fast and I love it. If you have any interest in cricket then you'll devour it.

http://www.cricketne...66/st166376.htm

edit: apologies for the union advert that pops up on that link

Edited by Leeds Wire, 04 April 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#51 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:34 PM

Anyone else read The Bridge? David Remnick's biography of Barack Obama. A very thorough analysis of his rise to power.

Edited by marklaspalmas, 05 April 2012 - 02:34 PM.

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

It was a good collection, as good collections go, and as good collections go....

The Saki collection has resurfaced, in the back of a cupboard. :)

Reading it now, although it's a Wordsworth Classics edition so the text is very small.

#53 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:58 AM

Sex & Bowls and Rock and Roll- This earned me some funny looks on the tram. I love the idea of a scooby Doo bookcase!

Blurb
The story of a man who gives up the rock ‘n’ roll dream… to play bowls.

Alex Marsh wanted to be a rock star - but it didn’t work out. Instead he toiled away in the big city - only to give up his career, move to rural Norfolk, and become a househusband. Only he isn’t a very good one. Whilst his pride won't let him admit it, he struggles with the cooking, the cleaning and the isolation. He hires a cleaner without telling his wife, his repertoire of baked potatoes exhausts quickly. He becomes hooked on daytime television and computer solitaire. He is in danger of becoming weird.

So he takes up bowls. In Sex & Bowls & Rock and Roll we follow a season in the life of the village bowls team, a group of amateur sportsmen and mild eccentrics. In doing so we see this unfashionable pastime in a whole new light, and very funny it is too. But Alex hasn’t quite given up on his dreams of rock stardom. Discovering that some of his mates down the pub are a bit handy with bass and drums he makes one final stab at being in a band, with an eagerly awaited local gig. It is a complete disaster.

Join Alex has he comes to terms with life as a domestic disappointment, attempts to learn the fine art of bowls and finally realises that supporting the Sultans Of Ping at the Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh really was the highpoint of his musical career. Sex & Bowls & Rock and Roll is a hilarious account of the life of a genuinely modern man. Everyone will recognise themselves (or their husbands) and you will be hard pressed not to laugh out loud.

#54 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:27 PM

supporting the Sultans Of Ping at the Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh really was the highpoint of his musical career.

Heartbreaking. :D

#55 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Latest haul from the second-hand shop:
  • Mihail Lermontov - A Hero of our Time (translated by Vladimir & Dmitri Nabokov)
  • Gerald Durrell - The Drunken Forest
  • Rudyard Kipling - 21 Tales (including 'The Man who would be King')

£4.50 the lot. :)

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

Just finished Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant. The cover features RPatz which is worrying but having read it he must be about the most miscast person in cinema history. It's a cracking read as well. Fair rolls along and is quite wonderfully cynical throughout.

Next up: Rebecca.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

Had a bit of time off reading but am now back in the game and making my way through The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. For a really long time Jon Ronson annoyed the hell out of me but then I caught one of his Jon Ronson On ... programmes on the wireless and realised that it was me not him that had the problem. Really enjoying the book - a journey through the world of madness, mental illness and psycopathy - though I doubt it's going to have any answers by the end, just a lot of intriguing questions and startling characters.
- Severus, July 2012

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just finished re-reading 'Restless' by William Boyd - very good.

Next up, 'The Pleasure of finding things out' by Richard P.Feynmann.

#59 Sam79

Sam79
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

reading my way through scandinavian crime novels-the usual suspects on my kindle

just finished Headhunter by Jo Nesbo.

The plots are good, but thge quality of writing is #### sometimes.

I can recommend the Beck series by Sjowall & Wahloo. They're quite a bit older than the current generation of Scandinavian crime writers but they are very good.

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

Just finished The $12 Million Stuffed Shark: The Curious Economics of Contemporary Art by Don Thompson. You won't find much surprising about the egos and fragile vanities of the contemporary art world but some of the stuff is pretty compelling. It's a shame that some of the detail - for example the chapter on fakes - is so slight when there's clearly a lot more that could be said although probably not without committing a major libel or two.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users