Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#61 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

Nino Culotta - They're a Weird Mob. One of Australia's most famous literary hoaxes, but also a massive bestseller and a wonderful, funny read too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#62 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Im reading "Fifty shades of........ narh, just kidding.

Bletchley Park seems to be quite the thing at the mo' (not sure why, some significant anniversary?) so Im reading Sinclair McKay's version of events.

Interesting.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#63 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

Shot In The Tower
by Leonard Sellers

Posted Image

The Blurb - The grimly fascinating story of the dozen German spies shot in the Tower of London in the Great War.
The first reaction to Leonard Sellers fascinating account of the spies who were executed in the Tower of London during the First World War is likely to be one of amazement at their ineptitude. Not one of them seems to have had any proper training or any idea of how to set about the job. However, thanks to the more liberal attitude now prevalent regarding access to hitherto `sensitive' material and to years of dogged research by Len Sellers, the remarkable, but somehow pathetic, stories of the eleven foreign agents who were caught and subsequently shot in the Tower for espionage can now be told. In these days when a mind-boggling array of equipment is available for the assimilation and transmission of supposedly secret information their antics strike one as little short of farcical, but for their efforts, inspired, it seems, more often by greed than patriotism, these men paid the ultimate price and paid it in the most historic site in Britain.

Tells the stories in a very matter of fact way. Worth a read if you are interested in spies, espionage, WW1 etc. One on the spies I actually liked the sound of, Carl Hans Lody. (The one in the middle of the book cover). When on trial for his life a very short sighted old lady was asked if the man in question was in the court room. She took ages looking around, and in the end Lody stood up in the dock, waved his hand at her and said "I'm over here." As he was being led to the firing squad, the priest leading the group took a wrong turn down a corridor. Lody tapped him on the shoulder and pointing in the other direction said "I think you'll find its that way."

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#64 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

Next up, 'The Pleasure of finding things out' by Richard P.Feynmann.

A great man. Worth a hour to watch this

From the days when factual TV makers were happy to point a camera at someone worth listening to and let them talk.

That's me.  I'm done.

#65 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for that! :)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#66 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just found 'A game of thrones' that i bought a year or so back and gave up after 1 chapter. Going to give it another go.

#67 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

A great man. Worth a hour to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgaw9qe7DEE&feature=related

From the days when factual TV makers were happy to point a camera at someone worth listening to and let them talk.

A genius.The pleasure of finding things out is my all time favourite book.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#68 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

Just started Patrick O'Brien's Desolation Island on Kindle
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#69 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,070 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

made the mistake of reading Sean Long's 'biography' on kindle
Going to download a wallander to cheer myself up after that load of dross
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#70 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,607 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:18 PM

Beevor's D-day.

Fascinating, particularly his take on the relationships and behaviours of the allied leaders.
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#71 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

Today's visit to the second-hand book shop turned up:
  • Erich Maria Remarque - All quiet on the Western Front
  • Gerald Durrell - A Zoo in my Luggage
  • Lord Kinross - the Innocents at Home
  • Paul Theroux - Riding the Iron Rooster
  • Frank Muir - A Kentish Lad

#72 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,070 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

Beevor's D-day.

Fascinating, particularly his take on the relationships and behaviours of the allied leaders.

check out Max Hastings effort on D Day
Also check out 'All Hell Let Loose' by Hasrings as well. It's an analysis of WW2 from start to finish, with a powerful human element to it.
Hastings, whatever his faults is a fine historian.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 18 July 2012 - 01:53 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#73 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

just got stephen kings 11/22/63 from morrisons £3.99 top price.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#74 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just started Patrick O'Brien's Desolation Island on Kindle

You have previously read the first four books in the series haven't you?

#75 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,343 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Beevor's D-day.

Yes. yes.

#76 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Erich Maria Remarque - All quiet on the Western Front. The films made of this story were good, but the book stands head and shoulders above them. Superb.

Edited by Futtocks, 23 July 2012 - 09:24 AM.

#77 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

Currently reading the Frank Muir autobiography, and it is great fun.

I have also just bought a replacement copy of this wonderful reference book.

Posted Image

#78 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Just found 'A game of thrones' that i bought a year or so back and gave up after 1 chapter. Going to give it another go.

Really, really getting into this now and off to get the full set of 7 books today.

#79 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,755 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just finished Paul Theroux - Riding the Iron Rooster (travelling by train through China) and about to re-read 'The Most of S.J.Perelman', which is always a pleasure.

#80 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,560 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I have lived in Bradford for forty years and last week, for the first time, I went to the Bronte Parsonage Museum at Haworth. I know many fellow board members regard me as a philistine, but I must confess that what I learned genuinely changed my preconceptions about the sisters ... I never realised what a bunch of hard faced scowling sourpusses they looked!

Their brother's portrait paintings weren't much cop either. All his subjects had potato faces.

I reckon 50 Shades of Agnes Grey would have made a much better book
B)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users