Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#101 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I have finally given up on on Harry Mount's How England made the English. I feel like I gave it a good go, reaching nearly half way, but there's only so much I can take when faced with fact after fact after fact about the geology of Norfolk or Wiltshire.

The book was a fine concept but it just doesn't flow.

Anyway, moving on... I like a bit of historical fiction (e.g Robert Harris) so can anyone offer me a recommendation?

What are you all reading at the mo?

Ta
Mark

Edited by Leeds Wire, 28 September 2012 - 10:12 AM.

#102 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,916 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have finally given up on on Harry Mount's England for the English. I feel like I gave it a good go, reaching nearly half way, but there's only so much I can take when faced with fact after fact after fact about the geology of Norfolk or Wiltshire.

The book was a fine concept but it just doesn't flow.

Anyway, moving on... I like a bit of historical fiction (e.g Robert Harris) so can anyone offer me a recommendation?

What are you all reading at the mo?

Ta
Mark

just started brighton rock: greene captures the seediness and tackiness of seaside towns really well. I love these places. Thew plot hasn't got going although the protagonist tells us he's going to get killed in the first couple of pages. I do like Harris. Currently got Winter in Berlin by CJ Sansome on the back burner. The background is the Spanish Civil War,
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#103 Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks.

I will be calling into Waterstones in Manchester this evening to get it signed by the author.

#104 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

just started brighton rock: greene captures the seediness and tackiness of seaside towns really well. I love these places. Thew plot hasn't got going although the protagonist tells us he's going to get killed in the first couple of pages. I do like Harris. Currently got Winter in Berlin by CJ Sansome on the back burner. The background is the Spanish Civil War,

Ace, I'll get onto that. I'd forgotten about Sansom, despite reading his brilliant Shardlake series.

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks.

I will be calling into Waterstones in Manchester this evening to get it signed by the author.

The Weeks book also gets superb reviews, so I'll give that a go despite its apparent downbeat tone...

Cheers both.

#105 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

<p>

just started brighton rock: greene captures the seediness and tackiness of seaside towns really well. I love these places. Thew plot hasn't got going although the protagonist tells us he's going to get killed in the first couple of pages.

Talking of Graham Greene, I've just re-read 'The Ministry of Fear', which isn't for anyone with even the slightest tendency towards paranoia.Other recent reads:
  • The Innocents at Home, by Lord Kinross. Travels in the USA in the Fifties. Mostly just okay, but with some highlights.
  • Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson. The history of language, with the main attention of English. Very readable and enjoyable, despite the mountain of information coming at you of every page.
  • Diary of a Rock'n'Roll Star, by Ian Hunter (of Mott the Hoople). A great (if short) read. Although it is a bit naive and dated to the modern-day reader, it is a great insight into the life of a touring band.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#106 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Ploughing through 'Citizens', a history of the French Revolution, by Simon Schama, and two weeks in we may actually be getting to the revolution. In theory also reading Quicksilver, Neal Stephenson, but I can't really be doing with two mindbenders on the go at once, so I'm re-reading Scoop, Evelyn Waugh, for light relief.

#107 Charlie Parker

Charlie Parker
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

Ace, I'll get onto that. I'd forgotten about Sansom, despite reading his brilliant Shardlake series.

The Weeks book also gets superb reviews, so I'll give that a go despite its apparent downbeat tone...

Cheers both.

You need to read them in order. The Black Prism is the first in this series, and is also a brilliant read.

The Night Angel books which he wrote prior to this series, are also excellent.

#108 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

I'm re-reading Scoop, Evelyn Waugh, for light relief.

Good pick - excellent book.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#109 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Good pick - excellent book.

Up to a point? ;)

#110 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:48 PM

Just re-read Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe, incredibly funny if you know your South African Politics
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#111 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,078 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have finally given up on on Harry Mount's How England made the English. I feel like I gave it a good go, reaching nearly half way, but there's only so much I can take when faced with fact after fact after fact about the geology of Norfolk or Wiltshire.

Mark

You could try this:

http://en.wikipedia....sles._A_History

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#112 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Zombie: An Anthology of the Undead - Christopher Golden
Patient Zero - Jonathan Maberry
Dead City - Joe McKinney
and there's another, which I've forgotten the name of, and a couple more on order at the library.

I'm also recording the past two series of The Walking Dead early each morning on FX.

You could say I'm looking forward to series 3 in a few weeks!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#113 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

I've got Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre on order.

I may be very cross by the end of it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#114 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

Just re-read Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe, incredibly funny if you know your South African Politics

The first Tom Sharpe book I ever read was 'Riotous Assembly', the sequel to 'Indecent Exposure'. Even more outrageous. :D

I'm currently 57 pages into Roberto Bolano's '2666'. Only 836 pages to go...

Edited by Futtocks, 03 October 2012 - 08:40 AM.

#115 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:07 AM

I reckon this book may be right up the street of several TRL members. Preston Lauterbach - The Chitlin' Circuit and the Road to Rock 'n' Roll.

#116 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm reading Robert Harris's Imperium, the first in a trilogy about the Roman statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero. I'm totally gripped and staying up far too late at night to see what develops.

Also, this seems like a useful link: What Should I Read Next - simple and self-explanatory but seems to work well.

Edited by Leeds Wire, 11 October 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#117 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

About half way through the The Man in the High Castle by Philip K Dick.

It's a bit dull TBH, though I like the conceit of the counterfactual book being popular inside a counterfactual book.

That's me.  I'm done.

#118 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Just reading both Keef Richards' and Sean Long's autobiogs on Kindle.

Precis:

Keef: "me and Mick spent hours listening to Bo Diddley, blues stuff. We were really a blues band but then we saw we could get loads of money, drugs and women by diluting it into pop music. Then we did loads of drugs. That is all"

Sean: "Me, Wello, Wilko, Glees and Scully and some of the boys went on a bender, drank about 20 pints each and I did something stupid."
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#119 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

I'm reading Robert Harris's Imperium, the first in a trilogy about the Roman statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero. I'm totally gripped and staying up far too late at night to see what develops.

Also, this seems like a useful link: What Should I Read Next - simple and self-explanatory but seems to work well.

Second that. Been waiting impatiently for the third in the Cicero series. Meanwhile Harris has been churning out all manner of boring stuff. Finger out, Robert!

#120 Jeff Stein

Jeff Stein
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

I really enjoyed Imperium, but found Lustrum a bit stodgy. I'm not sure I will bother with the third when it comes out because of that (and the fact that I know what happened to Cicero too).

About to go on holiday and have got The Way of the Traitor by Laura Joh Rowland, Curse of the Pogo Stick by Colin Cotterill, Inspector Singh Investigates A Curious Indian Cadaver by Shamini Flint, The Ambassador's Wife by Jake Needham and Breathing Water by timothy Hallinan for pool side reading. There are links between all five if anyone can spot them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users