Book Thread

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#161 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,694 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

You have a pleasant surprise coming then as the series following the Riftwar one, the serpent war saga is probably his best work. He sold out after that and went to far shorter books at the same price with lower quality. The Empire series he co-wrote with Janny Wurts are also excellent.

I first found Feist when he released his first book when I was 14. I've re-read Magician many times over the years.

The George RR Martin books started well but it was clear that he'd lost his plot notes by the 3rd. Also, one book every 5-7 years isn't that promising from an old, fat writer with health problems.

If you like challenging reads in that genre then Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series are well worth a read. As is the Wheel of Time series done by Robert Jordan and finished by Brandon Sanderson after his death.

The Thomas Covenant chronicles by Stephen R Donaldson are darker reads with the name character being a morally bankrupt leper.

Thanks, will look into those.

David Gemmell was a favourite of mine but sadly he died writing the Troy triology (his wife finished the final book from his notes). He wrote some fantastic books, nothing too heavy going but some interesting ideas and plots. If you haven't read any of his stuff have a look on Amazon as you can pick up his old books second hand very cheaply.

I've got the serpent war triology waiting on my newly purchased kindle. I decided to give Kindle a go as my good lady raves about her one so much.

#162 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

I've been reading an unfinished book. I'm not sure of the title but its a cracking read. It's about RL, prison, love and betrayal.

It needs a bit of work, but very engaging.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 02 September 2013 - 07:41 PM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users