RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A weekend in York

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

One people seemed to have missed is York Dungeons. It really is very, very good.

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

One people seemed to have missed is York Dungeons. It really is very, very good.

Never heard of it, but a quick Google reveals it is part of the same organisation that does the London Dungeons. Sounds like it'd be fun.

Edited by Futtocks, 01 February 2012 - 04:11 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Never heard of it, but a quick Google reveals it is part of the same organisation that does the London Dungeons. Sounds like it'd be fun.

We have been twice. Its just about the best there is.

#24 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I really enjoyed Eden Camp Second World War-related museum near Malton and not far from York.

However, if it is just a weekend there is loads to do in York. The Castle Museum is a great place to visit, as is the National Railway Museum. And if fit, a walk around the city on the walls.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 01 February 2012 - 04:36 PM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#25 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

York is the only place I've ever seen a busking string quartet.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:53 PM

I really enjoyed Eden Camp Second World War-related museum near Malton and not far from York.

Malton's just up the A64 (or accessible by train), and not far from Castle Howard as well, if you have time to get out of the city. Last time I was in Malton, there was a nice friendly Tapas place in the town square - don't know if it is still there.

Edited by Futtocks, 01 February 2012 - 04:57 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#27 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

However, if it is just a weekend there is loads to do in York. The Castle Museum is a great place to visit, as is the National Railway Museum. And if fit, a walk around the city on the walls.

A captured Japanese samaurai sword that went through my Grandads hand whilst he was in Burma (Battle of the Admin Box) is on display there.

#28 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

Market Street in Manchester always seems to have one. I think they are students at the RNCM.
Fides invicta triumphat

#29 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:15 PM

A captured Japanese samaurai sword that went through my Grandads hand whilst he was in Burma (Battle of the Admin Box) is on display there.

The hand-carvings by the Italian prisoners-of-war were brill. Many of the Italians worked on the local farms. With the museum being so big, it is advisable not to take too long in one section.

Off-topic, over on the Isle of Man there is a huge German cross on the side of a hill. I think the grass is a darker colour than the surrounding grass!

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#30 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

1328102684[/url]' post='2422199']
You can stay in our shed for a tenner!

As a resident of said city, I shall come back with a few suggestions as to where to stay, eat, drink and visit when I have a bit more time.

What's your hotel budget? Restaurant budget etc?

Mrs booked a B&B last night
The crossways, hope it's good someone suggested to her from work
So we need places to eat and also a decent pub with good ale, and to be up market / romantic a nice wine bar Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks to the positive responses, Andrew love the humour

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks to the positive responses, Andrew love the humour

:cool: :cool:

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 KISS

KISS
  • Players
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

Mrs booked a B&B last night
The crossways, hope it's good someone suggested to her from work
So we need places to eat and also a decent pub with good ale, and to be up market / romantic a nice wine bar Posted ImagePosted Image

B&B in very close to the old Clarence Street rugby ground which is now upmarket flats opposite the hospital, walk through Clarence Gardens to the Jaipur Spice Indian which is housed in what was the Oval Ball Club.
Too many good restaurants to mention but if your budget allows try The Blue Bicycle in Fossgate, Loch Fyne in Fossgate is also OK. In a previous post I have recommmended traditional pubs, for real ale there are the York Brewery Pubs, Wine Bar Kennedys in Stonegate or Harkers in St Helens Square.For nightlife try Micklegate usually Stag and Hen nights but quite lively.

There is a tendency for us locals to call the pubs by strange names so if someone recommends a pub that you can't find they have probably told you the local name ie Wonky Donkey is the Three Legged Mare, Brass Knacker - Golden Ball, Mucky Duck - White Swan.

What ever you do in York you will enjoy it !!

Edited by KISS, 01 February 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#34 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Fantastic time in York, Yorkshire folk are nice and polite - I've taken note.

Really enjoyed it for a lovely fun filled weekend

Great bars and food

Beautiful city, great on the eye and unbelievable history.

#35 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Have you ever been to Batley? ;)

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Fantastic time in York, Yorkshire folk are nice and polite - I've taken note.

Really enjoyed it for a lovely fun filled weekend

Great bars and food

Beautiful city, great on the eye and unbelievable history.

Did you get to The House of Trembling Madness? Rivals the NRM and The Bottle as the best reasons for going to York.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Market Street in Manchester always seems to have one. I think they are students at the RNCM.

Leeds too, also busking full on rockabilly bands.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

Have you ever been to Batley? ;)

sounds like a song title

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#39 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

Recommended pubs

Kings Arms
Blue Bell
Punch Bowl (Stonegate)
Old Starr Inn
Black Swan
Red Lion

Lovely little pub, always smells of cat pee.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#40 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

Did you get to The House of Trembling Madness? Rivals the NRM and The Bottle as the best reasons for going to York.

No we didn't, we've decided to go again next year so maybe next time.

I'll do a little bit more research as the wife decided what she wanted to do (her birthday weekend)

I'm still speechless after going around the minster, I remember it as a kid (10year old) and it truly an amazing building.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users