Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

A weekend in York

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

No we didn't, we've decided to go again next year so maybe next time.

I'll do a little bit more research as the wife decided what she wanted to do (her birthday weekend)

I'm still speechless after going around the minster, I remember it as a kid (10year old) and it truly an amazing building.

Agree about the Minster. It's a spectacularly beautiful building.

Just been to North Newbald on the pushbike. You can usually see York Minster from there but it was a bit murky today.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

When I come home I always have a ride out to York I love just walking round the city.As a young man many years ago we used to go into York on friday's and Saturdays ,just to make a change from Leeds or Bradford.Now I like to see the old haunts see if owts changed and some have closed too.I like the railway museum
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#43 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

York's great, but only seem to go there for work these days.

It used to have the Canterbury Rugby Shop - a dozen years ago, when Canterbury did most of the NRL clubs' jerseys, it was about the only place you could buy Australian RL jerseys over the counter (so to speak). We used to have day trips up there just to go to the Canterbury shop!

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#44 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

York's great, but only seem to go there for work these days.

It used to have the Canterbury Rugby Shop - a dozen years ago, when Canterbury did most of the NRL clubs' jerseys, it was about the only place you could buy Australian RL jerseys over the counter (so to speak). We used to have day trips up there just to go to the Canterbury shop!

Closed about 5 years ago. Victim of York's high rents (despite a move) and it's insistence on stocking way too much RU stuff - which always ended up in the sale. I won one of Jamie Peacock's playing jerseys there in a raffle. I believe they went online after they closed.

LUNEW.jpg

#45 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Closed about 5 years ago. Victim of York's high rents (despite a move) and it's insistence on stocking way too much RU stuff - which always ended up in the sale. I won one of Jamie Peacock's playing jerseys there in a raffle. I believe they went online after they closed.

That'll be about the same time the excellent Track Records closed down. A sad loss for those of us who always headed there when visiting the city.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#46 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Fantastic time in York, Yorkshire folk are nice and polite - I've taken note.

Really enjoyed it for a lovely fun filled weekend

Great bars and food

Beautiful city, great on the eye and unbelievable history.

lots of tourist's there are Americans who go every year,and know the city like the back of their hand
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#47 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

We were in York for a couple of nights a few weeks ago - our first time - and the highlight was experiencing the Minster through an attendance at Evensong which, to my surprise, was scheduled for mid-afternoon... Not knowing this part of the world at all, I think we were a little disappointed - especially after just having visited Durham which we thought was a more handsome and vibrant place that afforded beautiful views from myriad vantage points.

Durham seemed to rise dramatically from its surrounding landscape whilst belonging perfectly to it, whereas York seemed just a little flat...

#48 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

We were in York for a couple of nights a few weeks ago - our first time - and the highlight was experiencing the Minster through an attendance at Evensong which, to my surprise, was scheduled for mid-afternoon... Not knowing this part of the world at all, I think we were a little disappointed - especially after just having visited Durham which we thought was a more handsome and vibrant place that afforded beautiful views from myriad vantage points.

Durham seemed to rise dramatically from its surrounding landscape whilst belonging perfectly to it, whereas York seemed just a little flat...

To be fair, a lot of places are a bit of a scenic comedown after Durham.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#49 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I went to the miner's gala at Durham[where else] 2005 and I too thought it was spectacular.I wonder which city is the oldest and has most history?

Edited by fieldofclothofgold, 13 November 2012 - 02:42 PM.

The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#50 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

That's the Vale of York for you.

I've only been to Durham a couple of times with work but even from those fleeting visits I got the impression it was a very attractive place. Must visit it properly some day.

#51 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

That'll be about the same time the excellent Track Records closed down. A sad loss for those of us who always headed there when visiting the city.

Track Records was a great shop spent many a happy hour in there.

#52 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Track Records was a great shop spent many a happy hour in there.

I just found out that the second-hand record shop near where I used to work has closed. :( It was a big one, too - one shop for vinyl and one for CDs, a few doors apart on the same street.

Edited by Futtocks, 13 November 2012 - 04:45 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#53 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

I just found out that the second-hand record shop near where I used to work has closed. :( It was a big one, too - one shop for vinyl and one for CDs, a few doors apart on the same street.

Were quite lucky in Hull there are at least 6 secondhand vinyl shops.

#54 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Was that the one on Gillygate?

#55 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

For me, both have their star attractions. Also, I have been to the top of both which offer splendid views. Lincoln and Ely Cathedrals are well worth a visit also. I have certainly done the rounds visiting many cathedrals.

#56 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Planning a little christmas shopping trip to York myself, not that its far for us to go mind. Anyway if you like your food make sure you go to J Bakers it's fab.

Although is it me or does York seem to be expensive for hotels? I can usually pick up a bargain when we do city breaks on the various websites (triage, last minute etc etc) but for a nice hotel in York it still seems quite hefty?

#57 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Although is it me or does York seem to be expensive for hotels? I can usually pick up a bargain when we do city breaks on the various websites (triage, last minute etc etc) but for a nice hotel in York it still seems quite hefty?

I'm afraid sections of the York hospitality sector have delusions of grandeur.

You're right about J Bakers though.

LUNEW.jpg

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,405 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Was that the one on Gillygate?

Nope - this one was in London, near the Barbican Centre.

#59 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Nope - this one was in London, near the Barbican Centre.

:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users